UK Clears Gulenists Of Turkey’s ‘Coup’ Accusations

Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen. (Photo: Cihan)
Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: March 28, 2017

Georgi Gotev

On Saturday the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee issued a report on the UK’s relations with Turkey, in which the Erdoğan government’s claim that Gülenists masterminded the 15 July coup attempt is refuted.

The 82-page report confirm previous statements, including by Bruno Kahl, the head of the German intelligence (BND), who recently said that there was no evidence that the Gülen movement was involved in the July plot.

A document by Intcen, the EU intelligence centre, unveiled by The Times last January, also concludes that the Gülenists are not to blame for the coup attempt, and that the perpetrators included a wide range of opponents of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The authors of the report, who describe the contacts they were able to have in Turkey, say that the evidence presented so far to argue in favour of the culpability of the Gülenists for the coup attempt has been overwhelmingly anecdotal or circumstantial.

“The attribution of blame solely to the Gülenists is especially important because it has justified and sustained an effort by the government to remove, root and branch, perceived Gülenists from positions of public influence in Turkey,” the report says.

According to the study, the Turkish government describes the Gülenists as a highly-organised terrorist conspiracy that hides behind a charitable face to conceal its true objective: forming a parallel state to infiltrate, undermine, and supplant the current Turkish government.

Turkey’s National Security Council called the Gülenists the “Fethullah Terrorist Organisation” (‘FETÖ’), in May 2016, six weeks before the coup attempt.

Conversely, the Gülenists, who use other terms to call themselves such as “Hizmet” (The Service), describe themselves as a philanthropic social organisation that is inspired by a moderate and democratic interpretation of Islam but that does not discriminate on the basis of faith, and which embraces secularism while focusing on charity, welfare, dialogue, and education.

Seized property worth billions

Gülenists told the authors of the report that “the total value of the land and properties seized [in Turkey] from Hizmet–affiliated schools, universities, hospitals and charities is estimated to have reached $15 billion.

“Given the brutality of the events of 15 July, the severity of the charges made against the Gülenists, and the scale of the purges of perceived Gülenists that has been justified on this basis, there is a relative lack of hard, publicly available evidence to prove that the Gülenists, as an organisation, were responsible for the coup attempt in Turkey,” the report says.

But it adds:

“But the explanations provided to us by the Gülenists did not resolve our uncertainties about the fundamental nature and motives of their movement. The belief that Gülenists were responsible for the coup attempt, as well as for numerous other manipulations of the state through abuse of public positions that they held in Turkey, is manifest across the political spectrum in Turkey. A lack of transparency pervades some of the core activities of the Gülenists, making it impossible for us to confirm that all of these activities are purely philanthropic.”

The report is critical of the work of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and personally of the Minister of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Sir Alan Duncan, with respect to the matter.

“The FCO seems willing to accept the Turkish government’s account of the coup attempt and the Gülenists broadly at face value,” the parliamentary report says.

Turkey says the West fails to understand the events which transpired on 15 July, and that it has double standards when fighting terrorists.

Source: Euroasia Review , March 28, 2017


Related News

A Muslim voice to be heeded

The majority of Muslims openly and loudly reject violent extremism regardless of the religious or ethnic identity of the perpetrator, but that is not what the Western media focuses on. If we closely look into a broad poll, we will see hundreds of Muslim leaders denouncing terrorism, and one of these Muslim voices that we don’t listen to is Fethullah Gülen.

Is PM looking for someone he can pass the blame to?

Gulen’s words were clearly a conditional curse or a committing of his affair to God in total submission in the face of horrendous lies. “If your accusations are true, may God destroy us. But if your accusations are wrong, then may God destroy you,” he had said. Amen.

Discussing identity, multiculturalism and peace-building in Indonesia

Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz, JAKARTA Scholars and activists from all over the world and from all walks of life gathered in the lovely Indonesian resort city of Bogor to share their experiences on peace and peace-building activities. The 4th World Peace Forum (WPF) was organized in Bogor by the Indonesian Muhammadiyah movement, a loose social organization […]

Gulen sympathizer stabbed by pro-Erdogan relative in Belgium

Ibrahim Anaz, one of the executives at a Brussels-based association sympathetic to the Gulen movement, was stabbed by a family member who is a supporter of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, according to local media.

Woman gave birth while in detention, handcuffed to bed by police

A Turkish woman who was arrested when she was eight months pregnant has recently been released after giving birth while incarcerated. Turkeypurge.com reached out to the victim, who spoke about her experiences under arrest. She preferred not to reveal her identity due to concerns over Turkey’s socio-political environment.

From republic to al-mukhabarat state

As seen in [an official] document published on Friday, MİT has ordered its branches to finish off Hizmet and other religious groups. MİT now stands above all other institutions of Turkey, as well as the judicial and legislative branches.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

OSCE: Excessive penalties threaten journalism in Turkey

Police raid successful Gülen-inspired schools, kindergarten in eastern Turkey

Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (3)

Powerful but reclusive Turkish cleric – BBC’s interview with Fethullah Gulen

Romanian Senate president inaugurates Turkish school in Romania

Police wait at hospital to detain cancer patient

Monday Talk with Michael Rubin on Trump, Iran and Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News