Turkey’s teachers, police officers join unskilled labor force after coup purge


Date posted: March 13, 2017

Many public servants, including police officers and teachers, found themselves working at unskilled jobs in the labor market after being dismissed following the decrees issued by the Turkish government in the aftermath of a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Turkey Purge managed to compile real stories from a group of victims of ongoing purge.

S.K., a religious culture and moral knowledge teacher of 12 years now works as a cleaner at an Adana company in order to make his living.

According to a Facebook post on March 1, S.K. was dismissed from profession with a decree issued by the government in the aftermath of the coup attempt.

“After working as a religious culture and moral knowledge teacher for 12 years, this is my new job. Hi from Adana. Regards,” S.K. said.

He also pinned a photo of himself holding a cleaning brush.

Apart from massive arrests, Turkish government has dismissed more than 120,000 civil servants, among them police officers, teachers and academics, during the State of Emergency since July 15.

In another example, B.Ç.A., a primary school teacher of 20 years, has recently started working as a textile worker.

According to her Facebook post on March 3, B.Ç.A., “thanked God” and said she finally managed to find a job. She also posted a photo showing herself folding sheets she had produced.

A.K., one of the hundreds of dismissed police officers, now works as a construction worker in order to make his living.

In his Facebook post on March 5, he said that he was dismissed from profession with a decrees, numbered 679, on Jan. 6, 2016. The very same decree dismissed around 10,000 civil servants, including 2687 police officers as well as 149 soldiers from the naval forces, 164 from the air force and 649 academics are from universities.

In another example, Y.A. a court clerk of 5 years now works at a transport store in Mersin in order to make his living.

According to a Facebook post on March 6, Y.A. was dismissed from profession with a decree issued by the Turkish government in the aftermath of a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

“Just got promoted from being a court clerk to being a shipping agent. No problem. It is not like we were born as civil servant,” Y.A. said in his Facebook post.

He also pinned a photo of himself working the transport store.

Y.E. a math teacher of ten years, now works as a construction worker in order to make his living.

According to a Facebook post on March 6, Y.E. was dismissed from profession with a decree issued by the Turkish government in the aftermath of a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

“Vertical transmission from mathematics to construction labor,” Y.E. said in his Facebook post.

He also pinned a photo of himself working at a construction site along with song lyrics written by

Ahmet Kaya, a Turkish-Kurdish singer from Malatya, Turkey.

“I have been covered in dust head to toe,

My face and back have been covered by fog

My beards have been covered in rust

How will you know how I have been burning?”

 

Source: Turkey Purge , March 8, 2017


Related News

Turkish gov’t jailed not only journalist Karaca, but also his lawyers and the judges who ruled to release him

The trial of Turkish journalist Hidayet Karaca (55) has already taken its place in judicial history because not only has he been persecuted by the Turkish government but also both his lawyers and the judges who ruled to release him from jail have been imprisoned.

Man behind Gülen probe also filed complaints about PM Erdoğan

An investigation into Gülen was launched by an Ankara prosecutor’s office earlier this week following a complaint filed by C.O. The former noncommissioned officer told the media that his complaint against the scholar was based on a number of reports that had appeared in government newspapers. “I am basing my complaint on newspaper reports and my thoughts. I am unhappy. I do not want to be promoted in the media or become popular. I do not like things like this. I have also filed many criminal complaints against the prime minister,” he said.

Moldova Rights Activists Target Erdogan at Football Match

Moldovan rights activists used a football match with Turkey on Tuesday to stage a brief protest against the highly controversial extradition to Turkey in 2018 of seven teachers.

Fatih, Yamanlar, Samanyolu schools win medals at science Olympiad

İstanbul’s private Fatih Science High School, Ankara’s private Samanyolu Science High School and İzmir’s private Yamanlar Science High School picked up several medals on Wednesday in the 20th National Science Olympiad and the 17th National Mathematics Olympiad for primary and secondary schools.

An early prediction about the next elections

Turkey’s future will be determined in the next election. If the AKP government is not able to gain more than 38 percent of the total votes this time, it will directly affect the future of Turkish politics. Erdoğan cannot be the next president, for instance.

My Father, Academic, Arrested In Turkey Purge

13 days have passed since my father was taken from us by the police and we still did not have a chance to speak with him. His lawyers predict that it may take up to at least six months until he goes to the court. The most painful moment was when I saw in the news that 14 militants linked to ISIS, from whom the police captured AK-47s, were released on the same day. Turkey now views my father and his colleagues more dangerous than ISIS militants.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gov’t ban on charity Kimse Yok Mu hits orphans

Pro-gov’t journo says Gülen followers were abducted, illegally questioned by Turkey’s intelligence agency

Turkish schools bridge between Vietnam and Turkey

Hopefully the Gulen movement will help change the American values

GYV says Gülen did not send letter to Erdoğan

Conference on Prophet’s thoughts on ideal society held in Sarajevo

Are we to wait for our Fethullah Gulen?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News