Pak Turk Schools employees in UN protection after visa extensions turned down


Date posted: February 11, 2017

Inamullah Khattak

As many as 108 Turkish employees of the Pak Turk Schools, along with their families, have been in the United Nations’ (UN) protection after Pakistani authorities denied them an extension in their visas to work in the country, DawnNews reported.

Documents available with DawnNews reveal that the individuals had requested the UN’s refugee agency, UNHCR, that they be resettled in a country other than Turkey after Pakistan ordered to deport them.

The applicants had told UNHCR they feared arrest, coercion and torture by the Erdogan government in Turkey in case the Pakistani government forcibly deported them to Istanbul.

The Pak-Turk schools used to be administered by a foundation linked to Fethullah Gulen, once an ally of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. However, after an abortive military coup in July 2016, the Turkish leadership blamed Gulen for sponsoring the overthrow attempt, resulting in a global crackdown on the religious and educational network led by him.

The Turkish government, in the wake of the attempted coup, jailed over 120,000 individuals on charges of facilitating rebels.


As many as 108 Turkish employees of the Pak Turk Schools, along with their families, have been in the United Nations’ protection after Pakistani authorities denied them an extension in their visas to work in the country. The applicants had told UNHCR they feared arrest, coercion and torture by the Erdogan government in Turkey in case the Pakistani government forcibly deported them to Istanbul.


The Turkish foreign minister had in August asked Pakistan to close the institutions. In the second week of August, the management of the chain removed the Turkish principals of their 28 schools and colleges and also dissolved the board of directors which had representation from Turkish nationals.

When the Turkish faculty’s visas expired in September 2016, the Pakistani government said it would not extend them.

The Interior Ministry also rejected an application filed by the affectees pleading for an extension in their visas, asking all affected individuals to leave the country by November 20. The decision was announced two days before Erdogan visited Pakistan in November last year.

However, the Sindh High Court later suspended the deportation order; the high courts of KP, Punjab and Balochistan had followed suit.

A spokesman for the UNHCR confirmed that the affectees will stay in UN protection until November 2017 and that efforts are underway to resettle them in another country.

“We are extremely concerned about our families in Pakistan. We applied for asylum because the Pakistani government can hand us over to the Erdogan administration anytime. We are now under UN protection,” one of the affectees, told DawnNews on Saturday.

He said that because he can no longer work in Pakistan, he had to sell household items to feed his family. “I fear starvation here and persecution in Turkey. My destination has to be a country other than Turkey,” he said.

Source: Dawn , February 11, 2017


Related News

Meat Distribution during the Feast of Sacrifice

Kimse Yok Mu humanitarian aid organization, a Hizmet-initiative, distributed meat to more that 230,000 families in about 45 different countries during the recent Feast of Sacrifice celebrations. Feast of Sacrifice is an important religious holiday celebrated by Muslims to commemorate the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to God. […]

Kazakh-Turkish high schools win 16 medals in science competition

Students from Kazak-Turkish high schools in Kazakhstan won 16 medals in the MOSTRATEC science and technology competition, held in Brazil, the Anatolia news agency reported yesterday. Twenty-two countries submitted 274 projects in total. The competition, held in Novo Hamburg on Oct. 26-31, aims to bring students from diverse backgrounds together and instill a love for […]

Nigerians to showcase culture at Abuja festival

Abuja will on May 21 host the Hizmet Movement and commence preparations for the 14th International Festival of Language and Culture aimed at promoting the rich cultural heritage of the Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba, Ibo, Efik and other Nigerian tribes.

Yamanlar Koleji crowns Turkey with second gold medal

Furkan Bahar, a student from Yamanlar Koleji, a private high school in İzmir, has won a gold medal at the 46th International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) held in Hanoi, Vietnam between July 20 and 28. IChO welcomed representatives from 77 countries. Bahar, a member of the national chemistry team appointed by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK), became the winner of Turkey’s only gold medal in the competition.

Turkish Schools will Build Bridges between Nigeria and the World

Nigerian Minister of Federal Education Prof. Ruqayyatu Ahmed Rufai also spoke at the inauguration of the conference organized with the participation of several scholars from Africa and other countries and the sponsorship of 6 Nigerian Universities. Kerim Balcı, Abuja – November 19, 2011 Turkish ambassador to Nigeria Rıfat Köksal has said that seventeen Turkish Schools, […]

Pakistan: Islamabad High Court rejects petition by Erdogan’s Maarif Foundation

The Islamabad High Court, while rejecting the petition filed by Turkey’s Maarif Foundation, decreed that there was no meaning in the foundation’s demand for inclusion in the case as it was out of the question for such foreign structures to find in themselves any right to take over the [Pak-Turk] schools in Pakistan.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu meets Syrian refugees’ needs through sister families

Kyrgyzstan Rebuffs Turkish Takeover of Gulen Schools

Experts speak on role of digital media in society in İstanbul

Erdoğan admits calling Habertürk executive to change reporting during Gezi protests

“Freedom To Kacmaz Family” becomes trend on social media in Pakistan

Ottawa urged to expedite residency process for those fleeing oppression in Turkey

Turkey’s Hizmet Purge Is Seeping into the UK Creating Fear in Some Communities

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News