Cambodia’s Zaman Institutes Get Big-Name Backing


Date posted: January 19, 2017

Ben Paviour

A couple with close ties to the prime minister have taken leading roles in Zaman-operated schools in Cambodia, a move likely to weaken the position of Turkish authorities who want the schools shut down for their alleged links to “terrorism.”

In the months following a July 15 coup attempt in Turkey, Turkish Ambassador Ilhan Kemal Tug called for the Education Ministry to shutter Cambodia’s Zaman University and Zaman International’s kindergarten, primary and secondary school campuses, claiming they were managed by the same organization that plotted the failed overthrow.

However, in a meeting with students, staff and board members on Saturday, the school—whose pupils include the children of senior government officials—announced that a power couple would be taking over operations, according to an announcement posted to Zaman University’s Facebook page this week.

Chea Sophakanny, daughter of Land Minister Chea So­phara, is now chairwoman of the company and its largest shareholder, according to the post, while her husband Eang Sophalleth, a personal adviser to Prime Minister Hun Sen, is its honorary chairman.

Mr. Sophalleth said on Thursday that he and his wife had been investors in the school for 10 to 15 years, but had previously taken a backseat role in its operations.

“But now, we decided to get involved,” he said, citing growing competition and Cambodia’s need for better human resource training.

“Whatever is involved with the [Turkish] Embassy, we don’t care,” he added.

“We follow the rules. We follow the law. We are fine,” Mr. Sophalleth said.

A Zaman official, who declined to be named as a matter of policy, said that Ms. Sophakanny had owned many of the school’s buildings since its 2005 founding and that the couple’s active management would help “expand our activities and investments in the future.”

Mr. Tug, the Turkish ambassador, was traveling outside the country on Thursday and could not be reached for comment.

 

Source: The Cambodia Daily , January 20, 2017


Related News

Arınç says Gülen’s offer to hand over prep schools ‘sacrifice’

Turkish Deputy PM Bülent Arınç has described the offer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen to hand over prep school management to the state an example of “sacrifice” and promised that the issue of prep schools will be resolved in a way that pleases everyone. “God knows that we don’t have an ambition to manage [these prep schools]; our desire is that these services don’t become the causalities of a disagreement,” Gülen reportedly said.

South African, Kenyan leaders show support for Turkish schools

South African President Jacob Zuma and Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta have both expressed support for Turkish schools in their country, amid the Turkish government’s attempts to shut down Turkish schools located abroad that are affiliated with the Hizmet movement.

Down Syndrome child accompanies mother in prison as parents jailed over Gülen links

A 22-month-old child who suffers from Down Syndrome is living in jail along with his mother after both his mother and father were imprisoned in Konya over alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, a report said on Saturday.

Georgia revokes decision to freeze Gulen-linked university’s student intake

The Georgian regulatory body for quality in education on Saturday revoked a controversial decision to bar a Tbilisi university from accepting new students for a period of one year.

Gülen urges Hizmet members to defend prep schools in civilized way

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has urged followers of the Hizmet movement to insist on the “right and logical” and defend prep schools, which the Turkish government has said it will shut down despite tremendous public outrage. In a speech broadcast by herkul.org, a website that usually publishes his speeches, Gülen said not insisting on […]

Erdoğan’s fight against education in Africa

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan visited a few African nations, among them Somalia and Ethiopia. When looking at his media mouthpieces’ coverage of the trip and his declarations, it seems the primary reason of his trip was to “tell” the African nations to close schools that were established by civil society groups and private companies affiliated with the Hizmet movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Journalists and Writers Foundation-European Union Delegation Roundtable Meeting

Azeri NGOs harshly criticize Zeynalov’s deportation from Turkey

Turkey will hurt own interests if gov’t shuts down Kimse Yok Mu

Gulen Movement’s Global Appeal: Reflections from Chicago

Report claims government categorized schools linked to Hizmet

Gülen slams pro-gov’t media for disseminating lies and blasphemy

Autopsy proves Turkish military student’s throat slit during coup attempt, sister says

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News