Syrian Refugees Blanket & Coat Drive


Date posted: December 20, 2016

Now for the fourth time, Embrace Relief is organizing another campaign to assist Syrian refugees abroad, this time to Syrians in refugee camps in Iraq. We are asking our volunteers to bring new or gently used blankets and winter coats to one of the drop-off locations listed below between December 15th and December 20th. Winter clothing is also welcome, however, blankets and winter coats are in the highest demand. 

The Syrian Refugees Blanket & Coat Drive campaign last year was a blast with approximately 40,000 blankets and 33,000 winter coats collected in over 100 drop-off sites all over the country. Our volunteers consisted of people from all walks of life; from college deans to elementary school students, from activists to Broadway set designers… They all came together for the single purpose of helping another refugee family somewhere.

Since the beginning of the Syrian civil war in 2011 which has left an estimated 400,000 people dead, Syrians have been trying to escape the tumult at home and trying to find a safe haven in a different land, especially in the neighboring countries (Turkey, Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon). 

One of the biggest challenges these people face is the harsh winter conditions which make an already dire situation even worse. Having seen the troubles they’re facing with firsthand, Embrace Relief volunteers in the US have been collecting blankets and winter clothing for them for the last three years. 

Contact the Embrace Relief for further questions:

Embrace Relief
Tel – +1-201-528-3181
Fax – +1-212-935-2520
Email – info@embracerelief.org

(Please ask yourself before taking your collections to a drop-off site: Would I use this item myself? If the answer is yes, then it’s good to go!)

Source: Embrace Relief , December 12, 2016


Related News

Thunder’s Enes Kanter in London after detainment in Romania over politics

Oklahoma City Thunder center Enes Kanter, who said he was detained in Romania on Saturday morning after his passport was seized by the Turkish government, has been allowed to leave the country and is in London, the NBA said.

Interview with Henri Barkey on the Hizmet Movement

Henri Barkey, who has been one of the leading Turkey analysts in Washington, joined journalist Ruşen Çakır’s live broadcast via Periscope. He made interesting comments about the claims of the “parallel structure,” the situation of Fethullah Gülen in the US, and the appointment of trustees to the Zaman daily.

Gülen condemns ISIL atrocities in ads in leading US newspapers

In the ads, which appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times, Gülen said the actions of ISIL — referred to in the ad as ISIS, another name it goes by — are a “disgrace to the faith they proclaim and crimes against humanity.”

Report: Turkey Mulling Attack On Fethullah Gulen

Turkish security services have reportedly been planning an attack on U.S.-based preacher Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish cleric suspected of masterminding the July 15 coup plot, a number of sources confirmed. The source said a Turkish intelligence unit in the U.S. had been monitoring the Gulen’s compound for several weeks and that the security was easy to breach.

‘Fethullah Gulen is one of the leading Islamic thinkers in the world’

I think the Gulen, or Hizmet, Movement represents Islam by, on the one hand, maintaining a strong connection to and being rooted in the Islamic primary sources, such as the Qur’an and the Prophetic teachings, but, at the same time, not neglecting the world around it.

NY Times Editorial Board: Mr. Erdogan’s Reckless Revenge

At such a time, one would hope for a leader willing and eager to unify his people under the rule of law, to reaffirm democratic values and to address the grievances that motivated the plotters in the first place. So far, Mr. Erdogan seems determined to fail this test of leadership.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan’s stance on Turkish Schools turns to hatred after corruption probes

GYV president Usak passes away in exile

Say What? Ankara Mayor Blames Gulenists for Shaking Turkey With an Earthquake

Turkish School Awarded ‘Ukraine’s Best School’

Coup d’état attempt: Turkey’s Reichstag fire?

Gülen asked government to be more careful on the language they use: Deputy PM Arınç

How did we step into the missionary threat trap?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News