Lawyers for Gulen Call Flynn’s Comments ‘Troubling’


Date posted: November 18, 2016

Michael Rubinkam

Lawyers for a Pennsylvania-based Muslim cleric accused by Turkey of masterminding a failed coup said Friday they’re confident he won’t be extradited, even though President-elect Donald Trump’s choice for national security adviser recently denounced him as a “masked source of terror” and argued the U.S. shouldn’t allow him to stay.

Michael Flynn, a former Army lieutenant general tapped Friday by Trump, was highly critical of Fethullah Gulen in an Election Day op-ed for the Washington, D.C.-based newspaper The Hill.

“Gulen’s vast global network has all the right markings to fit the description of a dangerous sleeper terror network. From Turkey’s point of view, Washington is harboring Turkey’s Osama bin Laden,” Flynn wrote. “We should not provide him safe haven.”

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan contends Gulen orchestrated an attempted military coup in July and has demanded his extradition. President Barack Obama’s administration has not complied.

Gulen has never been charged with a crime in the U.S., and he has consistently denounced terrorism as well as the failed coup in Turkey.

One of Gulen’s lawyers, Jason Weinstein, called Flynn’s comments about Gulen “troubling” but said the extradition process is a legal matter in the hands of the Department of Justice.

“We hope and expect that the law will be followed here and that politics will not interfere with the judgment of career officials at DOJ. If the law is followed, then we are confident that Mr. Gulen will not be returned to Turkey, where he is certain to be subject to torture, a sham trial, and execution,” Weinstein said in a statement.

According to Senate records, Flynn’s company, Flynn Intel Group, registered as a lobbyist on Sept. 15 for a Dutch-based company headed by a Turkish businessman, Ekim Alptekin. The Senate disclosure says Flynn “will advise client on U.S. domestic and foreign policy.”

Alptekin told The Associated Press on Friday that while he believes Gulen leads a “criminal organization,” he has no connection to Erdogan’s government and had nothing to do with Flynn’s article.

“It is simply preposterous,” said Alptekin, who also chairs the Turkish-American Business Council. “I would never dare suggest anything like that, and if I had, my relationship (with Flynn) would have been immediately over.”

He said his business consultancy, Inovo B.V., hired Flynn Intel to advise it on security issues in the Middle East.

Robert Kelley, the chief counsel to Flynn Intel Group, didn’t immediately return an email from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Flynn said in a statement previously that if he returns to “government service, my relationship with my company will be severed, in accordance with the policy announced by President-elect Trump.”

In the op-ed, Flynn asserted that Gulen’s moderate image masks a hidden “radical Islamist” agenda. He did not provide evidence.

Gulen has criticized Erdogan, his onetime ally, over the Turkish leader’s authoritarian rule. The Erdogan regime has launched a broad campaign against Gulen’s movement in Turkey and abroad, purging civil servants suspected of ties to the movement, seizing businesses and closing media organizations.

In the United States, a lawyer hired by the Turkish government has lodged numerous accusations against a network of about 150 publicly funded charter schools started by followers of Gulen, whose philosophy blends a mystical form of Islam with advocacy of democracy, education, science and interfaith dialogue.

Nobody associated with the U.S. schools has been charged with wrongdoing.

Gulen has lived on a compound in the Pocono Mountains since 1999.

Source: ABC News , November 18, 2016


Related News

Fethullah Gülen’s photo

A religious cleric, currently a popular figure who frequently appears on TV, once told me a sad anecdote.

Canadian rights advocate says Turkey’s post-coup crackdown amounts to genocide

Turkey’s post-coup witch-hunt of the Gulen movement followers is tantamount to genocide, Renee Vaugeois, a Canadian human rights specialist said in a recent interview.

Don’t draw us into your family fight: Washington

The United States has told Ankara it has no any intention of getting involved into what it calls “a family fight,” denying conspiracy theories suggesting Washington’s role in the ongoing struggle between the government and the powerful Gülen community that has exploded with a new corruption probe. “Please don’t draw us into your family fight here. We don’t want one side or the other to feed this conspiracy idea that we are against the prime minister or against Fethullah Gülen Hocaefendi,”

Investigation into journalist over MGK, MİT revelations blow to free press

A prompt investigation launched against journalist Mehmet Baransu for reporting on a confidential National Security Council document that mentioned a planned crackdown on faith-based groups in the country has been met with harsh criticism by Turkish and foreign journalist associations. “It is the responsibility of a journalist to report on issues that directly concern the people,” stated Committee to Protect Journalists Executive Director Joel Simon, when speaking to the Cihan news agency.

Gov’t attack on Bank Asya taints Turkey’s image

Attempts by the Turkish government to sink Bank Asya have tainted Turkey’s image, according to French-based Institute for Research on the International Economy expert Deniz Ünal, speaking to the Cihan news agency.

Myanmar-based family abducted by Turkish embassy from Yangon airport

Myanmar-based education professional M. Furkan Sökmen and his family were detained yesterday at the Yangon International Airport while trying to board a flight to Bangkok. the teacher said the Turkish ambassador to Myanmar had pressured police to confiscate the family’s passports.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

ABA urges Obama to protest Turkey’s suppression of free speech

Turkey’s top Muslim leader abhors terrorism

Ban Ki-moon (UN Secretary General) sent a message to IFLC

The demise of Turkish democracy

Is it civil disobedience or passive resistance?

Message to the conservative intellect on the Armenian issue

Experts speak on role of digital media in society in İstanbul

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News