Erdoğan vows to strip Gülen sympatizers off Turkish citizenship


Date posted: October 17, 2016

Reiterating his threats against sympathizers of the grassroots Gülen movement who are fleeing the oppression in Turkey, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said they can become citizens of countries to which they flee while once again vowing to revoke their citizenship.

Speaking in his Black Sea hometown of Rize on Saturday, Erdoğan repeated his unsubstantiated accusations against the Gülen movement, calling its sympathizers “terrorists.” Erdoğan urged these people under persecution to become citizens of the countries in which they are living, saying that “they will not be considered citizens of this country.”

“We have entered their lairs. They run, we are told to chase them. Are they running? Let them become citizens of the places to which they flee. They will no longer be citizens of this country,” Erdoğan said as part of his relentless witch-hunt against the Gülen movement.

Calling Muslim scholar Fethullah Gülen, who inspires the movement, which has established schools around the world, a coward, Erdoğan asked Gülen return to Turkey to stand trial. Turkey’s increasingly oppressive president argued that the Gülen movement is a terrorist organization just like the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and the Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party/Front (DHKP-C).

Despite unanswered questions as to who provided intelligence on the coup to the president and the government, and when, Erdoğan has been accusing Gülen of masterminding the coup since day one. An Erdoğan-led purge was initiated immediately after the failed coup of July 15 and has cost over 100,000 people their freedom, jobs and basic rights. More than 32,000 have been arrested in Turkey, including judges, prosecutors, academics and journalists.

Source: Turkish Minute , October 15, 2016


Related News

New Mother Detained Over Alleged Gülen Links Despite Doctor’s Objection In Turkey

Hatice Avan, who gave birth to a baby in the western Turkish province of Denizli on Thursday, was detained on Friday, despite her doctor’s objection, over alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement.

Council of Europe: Turkey must separate coup plotters from Gülen employees

“We are stressing to the Turks that they have to present clear evidence, be able to separate those who were clearly behind the coup and those who have been in some way or another connected to or working for this so-called Gülen network,” Jagland, Secretary General of the Council of Europe, told Reuters.

Turkey’s efforts in Somalia

Kimse Yok Mu Foundation, in cooperation with the local Bedir Schools, has definitely undertaken great initiatives, in an effort to combat the famine, drought and tragedy in Somalia.

Nubuwwat symposium starts with rejection of suicide bombing, terrorism

A three-day international symposium launched on Sunday in İstanbul with the theme of nubuwwat (prophethood) has started with a message that a true believer of Islam cannot become a suicide bomber. Speaking at the opening ceremony of the 10th edition of the symposium focusing on the teachings of prominent Islamic scholar Bediüzzaman Said Nursi, Deputy […]

Turkey targets Gulen schools in Africa

Turkish government anger with the Gulen movement, over its alleged involvement in the failed July 15 coup, has spread to Africa. Governments are being pressured into closing down Gulen schools. Children are romping around the school grounds apparently without a care in the world. A few of them are standing together and reciting in unison […]

İstanbul woman suffers miscarriage in police custody

Büşra Atalay, a Turkish woman who has previously been dismissed from her job over alleged Gülen links, lost her unborn child when she was detained and interrogated at an İstanbul hospital on Thursday.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Unaffected by tension, TUSKON promotes Turkish economy

America’s first Islamic university starts academic journey

Somalia: Somaliland rules out closure of Gulen-linked school

Turkish Cultural Center co-hosts Iftar at Westchester Reform Temple

Al-Jazeera: Turkish probe marks AKP-Gulen power struggle

Turkish PM Erdoğan lashes out at Gülen as the head of ‘neo-Ergenekon’

Mother of 6 under arrest as police fail to locate husband suspected of Gulen links

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News