Albania: Erdoğan given appropriate response to ‘political’ request on Turkish schools

Albanian Interior Minister Saimir Tahiri speaks at a press conference in Tirana. (Photo: Cihan)
Albanian Interior Minister Saimir Tahiri speaks at a press conference in Tirana. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: May 19, 2015

Albanian Interior Minister Saimir Tahiri has said his country’s relevant authorities gave Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan the necessary responses to his recent request for the closure of Turkish schools in the country.

Tahiri said at a press conference on Monday that Erdoğan’s request for the shutting down of the schools established by the Gülen movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, and the movement’s activities in Albania is “political” rather than aiming at ensuring security in the region. The minister also said counterterrorism efforts should not be tied to simple political gains.

Once a champion of promoting more Turkish schools abroad and personally inaugurating some, including in Albania, Erdoğan has now become an avowed enemy of these schools, which are established by nongovernmental organizations and volunteers from Turkey.

While in tirana as part of an official visit to the small Balkan country last week, Erdoğan called on the Albanian authorities to close Turkish schools there, some of which were opened during the 1990s at a time of political turbulence and instability in the country, which barely avoided a civil war. Erdoğan’s current war against Turkish schools in Albania contradicts his previous attitude. It was Erdoğan who inaugurated one of the schools, namely Turgut Özal College elementary school, on Feb. 17, 2005, during an official trip when he was prime minister of Turkey.

Erdoğan accuses sympathizers of the Gülen movement — especially those supposedly in the state bureaucracy — of being behind a major corruption investigation that went public in 2013, implicating members of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and Erdoğan’s inner circle.

Erdoğan’s current efforts to declare such schools as having been formed by a terrorist organization — a reference to the Gülen movement, which has hundreds of schools around the world to promote education with the aim of facilitating inter-faith and inter-cultural dialogue — created unease and stirred a backlash from Albanian politicians.

Several Albanian lawmakers dismissed Erdoğan’s portrayal of the schools as being created by a terrorist organization, and have said that the schools provide a high quality education that is essential for the development of the country.

Source: Today's Zaman , May 18, 2015


Related News

Filipino student wins Turkish international schools contest

Close to 4,000 spectators watched in awe as students from Turkish schools spanning across 15 countries and four continents sang songs from their own regions and cultures, including Kyrgyzstan, the United States and Tanzania.

Bosnians Protest at Student’s Arrest in Turkish Crackdown

Masetovic, a 21-year-old student at the University of Usak, was arrested last month in the western Turkish city, accused of being part of a network led by exiled cleric Fetullah Gulen. “At the time of the coup in Turkey, my son was at home in Bosnia and Herzegovina and had nothing to do with the events there,” his father Husein Masetovic was quoted as saying.

Police raid schools in Diyarbakır where locals go on strike in protest of recent gov’t practices

Police officers and inspectors carried out raids on a number of schools inspired by the faith-based Gülen movement as part of a government-led operation against the movement in southeastern province of Diyarbakır, where people have gone on strike in protest of the government’s recent practices in the province.

Thousands in anti-corruption protests; Erdoğan defiant

Thousands took to the streets of İstanbul on Sunday to protest against the government over a corruption scandal that has led to multiple arrests, including sons of two ministers and general manager of the state-run Halkbank.
Twenty-four people, including the sons of two ministers and the head of state-owned Halkbank, have been formally charged in connection with the corruption inquiry that Erdoğan has called a “dirty operation” to undermine his rule.

What I Saw In Turkey

Everywhere in Turkey, people are talking about the clampdown on the Turkish media. The situation is quite dire. At Samanyolu, a TV station, has 14 broadcast channels in Turkey, English, Arabic and Kurdish and dozens of radio stations and popular news portals. Foreign news chief, Adnan Tokkapi, said its general manager, Hidayet Karaca, has been held in prison without conviction since December 2014.

British lawyers warn of human rights violations in Turkey [against Gulen Movement]

Turkey’s government is inflicting “systematic human rights violations” on its judiciary, police and media, according to a scathing report by senior British lawyers that was commissioned by one of president Erdogan’s exiled opponents.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Journalist Karaca sentenced to 31 years for slandering al-Qaeda-affiliated group

Turkey’s Real Coup [by Erdogan] Has Begun

Aid delivery to Gaza continues under bombardments

Archbishop Makgoba: Turkey’s religious tolerance answer to extremism

Gülen’s lawyer condemns Erdoğan’s accusations, TÜSİAD calls for sanity in country

For Turkish exiles in New Hampshire: No way back

Deviation, crisis and opportunities…

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News