Woman gave birth while in detention, handcuffed to bed by police


Date posted: October 9, 2016

A Turkish woman who was arrested when she was eight months pregnant has recently been released after giving birth while incarcerated. Turkeypurge.com reached out to the victim, who spoke about her experiences under arrest. She preferred not to reveal her identity due to concerns over Turkey’s socio-political environment.

The victim said she was arrested due to alleged links to a so-called “terrorist” organization, FETÖ, a term coined by the Turkish government to refer to followers of the Gülen movement. While eight months pregnant, she was taken from her home by police and subjected to harsh treatment in custody.

“The conditions got even worse after I was arrested. They made me give birth at a nearby hospital. Since I was still under arrest, I was handcuffed to the bed, which prevented me from taking care of my newborn. A male gendarme was stationed in my room to keep an eye on me, which disturbed me even more. I requested to be sent back to prison because I preferred the poor conditions in prison to being handcuffed to the bed, unable to touch my child.”

Back in prison, she appealed the court decision ordering her arrest. She was released pending trial days after her petition.

“I had already claimed to be innocent many times and denied all the charges before I was arrested, but still was arrested without any evidence being presented. Now, I pray for my child’s health, but I am worried that the ill-treatment in prison might have negatively affected my baby.”

She is believed to be only one of many victims of the political oppression that has led to the purge of hundreds of people in Turkey.

Source: Turkey Purge , September 21, 2016


Related News

The witch-hunt reaches Turkey’s media

“If this is a witch-hunt, yes, we will carry out this witch-hunt,” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared a few months ago to confront criticism that his government has gone too far in removing police officers and prosecutors who carried out a corruption investigation against his ministers and son.

Erdoğan’s ‘non-precious’ loneliness

The US and Europe now use Erdoğan’s level of aggression against whomever he targets as an indicator to measure the degree of democratic culture of the Turks. For this reason, as Erdoğan and his government intensify their aggression, the Hizmet movement becomes more respectable and prestigious in the world.

HRW: 6 Turks taken from Kosovo to Turkey face risk of torture and abuse

Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch, on Saturday tweeted that six Turkish nationals who were arrested by Kosovar police on Thursday and apparently spirited out of the country by Turkish intelligence later in the day would face the risk of torture and abuse in Turkey.

Turkey will hurt own interests if gov’t shuts down Kimse Yok Mu

Former Director for East African Affairs for the US State Department Professor David Shinn said in an interview, “If the government of Turkey is trying to shut down Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) it would seem to be a case of hurting its own interests in Africa.”

A Mother and Son Flee Istanbul for San Antonio

Before the live feed was cut from the Zaman building on that Friday in March, I watched police shoot rubber bullets into the crowd gathered to protest the paper’s seizure. Bloodied, the crowd retreated, still screaming for free speech but knowing hope was gone.

A Turkish couple spent their wedding day feeding 4,000 Syrian refugees

Hatice Avci, a spokesperson for aid organisation Kimse Yok Mu, told i100.co.uk that last Thursday the newlyweds donated the savings their families had put together for a party to share their wedding celebrations with the refugees living in and around the town of Kilis.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Ministerial bureaucrats being purged over their alleged affiliations with Hizmet

Ethiopian schools linked to Turkish cleric are sold to German educators

Tape politics

Purge-victim mother of three dies of heart attack

Ministry of Education denies authorizing raid on Gülen-inspired schools

Ankara forces Arbil to close Turkish schools in KRG

Why on earth does a Hizmet follower flee Turkey?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News