Turkey targets the Gulen family


Date posted: October 4, 2016

Turkish police detained Fethullah Gulen’s brother on Sunday.

The sibling of the Philadelphia-based cleric, Kutbettin Gulen, is accused of participating in his brother’s Islamic organization, called Hizmet (Service). Turkish authorities refer to the organization as “FETO”: Fetullah Gulen Terrorist Organization.

This is the third time Turkish authorities have targeted the Gulen family: in July, Turkey arrested Muhammet Sait Gulen, Fethullah’s nephew, in Erzurum. Another nephew, Ahmet Ramiz Gulen, was arrested in August.

Fethullah is one of five siblings. He has three brothers – Mesih, Salih, and Kutbettin – and two sisters, Nurhayat and Fazilet.

Gulen has lived in the United States since 1999.

Turkey accuses the preacher of organizing the July 15 coup attempt. His organization denies any involvement in the coup.

Ankara is asking for the immediate extradition of Gulen, but Washington insists there is a timely process to be observed.

Since the July 15 failed coup, Turkey has pursued a controversial “cleansing” of tens of thousands of people associated or believed to be somehow linked to the Gulen’s movement. Over 32,000 people have been arrested and tens of thousands more sacked from the civil service and state owned companies.


Related Videos:

Fethullah Gülen: ‘I deplore and reject any anti-democratic attempts.’

Secretary Kerry insists on Turkey providing legal, solid evidence against Fethullah Gulen

Source: New Europe , October 3, 2016


Related News

Minister’s remarks on Gülen cause AK Party members to resign

“The reason we have decided to quit is the defamation campaign launched against the Hizmet movement and its moral leader, Gülen, after the Dec. 17 operation that has occupied the [country’s] agenda for the last month,” Kara said, adding that the ugly allegations and defamation campaign against Gülen have offended their consciences.

Erdoğan’s house of cards

In a long statement, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), whose honorary chair is Gülen, has called on the government to submit whatever evidence it has on conspiracies, such as those involving a “deep state” and “parallel structures” as well as accusations of “treason,” “espionage” and “collaboration with international powers” against the interests of Turkey. In other words, Gülen is standing firm and not blinking in the face of Erdoğan’s preposterous threats.

Message of tolerance, peace expressed at GYV’s fast-breaking dinner

A message of tolerance, dialogue and coexistence for people of different faiths and ethnic backgrounds was dominant at a fast-breaking dinner organized by the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) on Thursday. “We have capital no other than love, no intention other than serving humanity,” Mustafa Yeşil, head of the GYV, said at the fast-breaking dinner, […]

Turkish govt has declared war on us, Nigerian student cries out from hiding

Nigerian students in Turkey are in hiding following the government’s crackdown on them. “We are scared of leaving our rooms for fear of being arrested and charged with terrorism, or deported. Most of us are in our final year. What do we do?” students said.

Netherlands fires a lawyer from gov’t job due to her role in witch hunt against Gulen followers

A Turkish lawyer working for the Dutch government was kicked off her job due to her active role in massive post-coup witch hunt targeting the alleged followers of the Gülen movement in the Netherlands.

Gülenist refugees from Turkey start over in U.S.

Scholars and academics may quibble about how to classify Fethullah Gülen, but pretty much all reasonable watchers of international politics agree that Erdoğan is power hungry, paranoid and increasingly autocratic.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

It’s clear that deportation of three Turks is to please Turkey’s president

Critical journalist Ilıcak fired from pro-government daily Sabah

Ex-CIA Director: Mike Flynn and Turkish Officials Discussed Removal of Gulen from U.S. without Going through Legal Process

Erdogan’s Hate Speech against the Gulen Movement

3,623 Aggravated Life Sentences Sought In Turkey For Scholar Fethullah Gülen

National Development Requires Peaceful Co-existence

Warriors of enlightenment: pen versus bullet

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News