Minister: Turkey confiscated $4 bln worth of Gülenist property


Date posted: September 1, 2016

Some TL 12 billion (about $4 billion) in property has been transferred to the Treasury as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement, said Minister for Environment and Urbanization Mehmet Özhaseki on Thursday.

“A total of 2,514 properties have been transferred to the Treasury and 2,083 properties to the Directorate General of Foundations. Property valued at approximately TL 12 billion has been transferred to the Treasury,” said Özhaseki, speaking to the state-run Anadolu new agency.

The Turkish government has launched a witch-hunt against people who are sympathizers of Fethullah Gülen, a Turkish Islamic scholar who has lived in self-imposed exile in the US since 1999. Over 4,000 people were detained, more than 900 were arrested and some 300 companies including banks, hospitals and media had been seized by the government by mid-2016.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the government turned the witch-hunt into an all out-war against the movement hours after a bloody coup attempt on July 15.

Immediately after the putsch, the government along with Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement without credible evidence. Despite the fact that the movement as well as Gülen denied the accusation, some 82,000 people have been purged from state bodies, over 40,000 detained and more than 20,000 arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees include journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, businessmen, academics, governors and even a comedian.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 1, 2016


Related News

The system is the root cause of corruption

We have the perfect recipe for all kinds of corruption. The media has been silenced. It does not work as a watchdog, inspecting the government’s financial dealings. Parliament cannot inspect the government’s financial transactions. The Court of Accounts (Sayıştay) cannot inspect the government’s expenses. There are no internal mechanisms within the ruling party to make sure its leaders are accountable; there is only an infallible leader figure, and whatever he does, the party endorses it.

Five pilots who bombed coup base on July 15 arrested over Gulen links

Five pilots who bombed the Akincilar Air Base in Ankara to halt the coup attempt on the night of July 15, 2016, were later arrested as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement.

Fethullah Gülen’s message of condemnation and condolences for victims of the terrorist attack in Gaziantep, Turkey:

I condemn, in the strongest terms, the barbaric terrorist attack on attendees of a wedding ceremony in Gaziantep, Turkey that took the lives of more than fifty citizens, including children, and wounded many others.

AfSV Statement on the Turkish government’s detainment of Kutbettin Gülen

News of the detention of Kutbettin Gülen, the brother of Fethullah Gülen, is as unsurprising as it is troubling, and it is yet the latest example of the Turkish government’s persecution of innocent citizens in the wake of the July 15 coup attempt. Kutbettin Gülen has been detained on trumped-up charges used by President Tayyip Erdoğan’s administration to silence dissent and cement his autocratic hold on power.

Fethullah Gulen: Killing of Russian envoy ‘heinous act’

U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen on Monday condemned the assassination of Russia’s ambassador to Turkey as a “heinous act of terror” and urged the Turkish government to identify anyone who aided the gunman.

Embassies Embark on Diplomatic Moves for the Release of Detained Sierra Leonean in Turkey

David Junusa, a Sierra Leonean national who lives and works in Ankara was detained at the Kavaklidere Police Station in Ankara when he showed up to renew his expired residency permit.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu provided aid to 14,000 Syrian refugees in Turkey

Wife: Jailed Former Prosecutor, Heavy Cancer Patient, Needs Urgent Health Care

Gülen’s lawyer appeals arrest warrant

Nigerian students win at global contests

Police insult former Zaman columnist for not supporting Erdoğan

Thai students participating in Turkish Olympiads paid a visit to Thai Ambassador in Ankara

SEASON OF PEACE: Moderate Islam has a voice if you listen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News