Al Arabiya: Gulen confident US will not extradite him

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: August 20, 2016

New York. In an exclusive interview with Al Arabiya News Channel, Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen said he was confident that the United States will not extradite him, even as Turkey formally submitted its request earlier in the week.

Gulen, a cleric in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania since 1999, has been blamed for the failed coup attempt against his rival and the government of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

“The United States has a reputation in the world as a country that upholds the rule of law. So I trust they will follow the proper procedures,” Gulen told Al Arabiya’s New York Bureau Chief Talal al-Haj.

On August 16, Turkey officially requested the US for Gulen’s extradition. There have also been allegations of Turkish parliamentarians visiting the United States and meeting with the Department of Justice officials, bringing with them 85 boxes of evidence about Gulen’s involvement in the failed coup.

Asked whether the US might cave into pressure, the cleric said there was a possibility. “Of course, it is possible for the US authorities to be deceived as well. Technically there is a possibility although I don’t consider that a significant likelihood,” he said.

Nathaniel Tek, the US State Department’s regional spokesman, had told Al Arabiya English that strong and credible evidence would be required to prove the cleric’s wrongdoing.

“There needs to be a set of specific documentation, with evidence that goes directly to our Department of Justice,” Tek told Al Arabiya English. “At that point, what happens is that we review the request, in accordance with US federal law and international law, and then we’ll make a decision at that point.”


This news was first published by Al Arabiya itself with the title “Exclusive: Gulen confident US will not extradite him.” However, it was shortly after removed from the website due to, perhaps, pressure from Turkish gov’t.

Source: Focus Information Agency , August 219, 2016


Related News

Erdoğan’s hate speech moves to US

The graffiti echoes Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s hate speech against the Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, with which the cultural center is affiliated.

US Human Rights Report: Tens of thousands jailed in Turkey with little clarity on charges

The 2016 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices — the Human Rights Reports — released by the US State Department on Friday said that Turkish courts had imprisoned tens of thousands of people with little clarity on charges and evidence over their alleged links with a failed coup in July 2016 that was blamed on the Gülen movement.

Groundless terror probe into Kimse Yok Mu aims to intimidate civil society, GYV says

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) has said an investigation launched against prominent charity organization Kimse Yok Mu on charges of terrorism aims to intimidate and limit the activities of a civil society organization.

Corruption, Stigmatization, and Innocence

Unfortunately, the Hizmet Movement as one of the leading civilian movements contributing to intercultural dialogue and peace in the world has been labeled as one of the players to destabilize Turkey by the pro-government press too.

Retired on disability, former bomb disposal expert kept in jail for a month over Gülen links

Bilal Konakçı, a former bomb disposal expert for the İzmir Police Department who was retired after he lost his right hand and both eyes while trying to dispose of a bomb in 2009, was detained on Dec. 20 over links to the faith-based Gülen movement, and his wife is worried about his health as authorities refuse to allow the family to contact him.

Newly-released journo offers insider view at victims of Turkey Purge

Briefly detained for taking photos of the street next to the Istanbul’s Gayrettepe Police Station, the journalist Tuğba Tekerek has talked about her detention period, shedding lights on what people, jailed as part of the government’s ever-increasing crackdown on the Gülen Movement, get through behind bars.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen: Violence can not be a remedy for violence

“There will be no Turkish Olympiad,” says Erdoğan

Turkey’s Curious Coup in 6 Questions

Civil society-democratic relations, Gezi and the Middle East

Turkish gov’t profiling went on until 2013, report claims

Iftar Dinner at Manhattan’s Riverside Church

Grand stage shows by Turkish Olympiad students enthrall İzmir locals

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News