Berlin mayor accuses Turkey of waging war on Gulen supporters in Germany


Date posted: August 14, 2016

Brandon Conradis

Berlin’s Governing Mayor, Michael Müller, has accused Ankara of extending its post-coup crackdown to Germany. The Turkish president has accused a US-based activist of initiating the coup.

Müller, who as governing mayor is premier of the state of Berlin, told the Sunday edition of German newspaper “Bild” that Turkish officials had approached him following the attempted coup last month.

“I was approached and asked by a Turkish government official, whether we would be prepared to critically confront the Gulen movement in Berlin and, if necessary, to support measures against it,” Müller told the newspaper.

“I rejected the idea and made it very clear that Turkish conflicts could not be waged in our city,” he added.

In Germany, businesses thought to be in support of Gulen have been harrassed by Erdogan supporters. In late July, the western city of Cologne was the scene of a massive demonstration in support of Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Crackdown continues

Erdogan blames the July coup attempt on US-based cleric, Fethullah Gulen, who has adamantly denied the claims. On Friday, Gulen penned an editorial in French newspaper “Le Monde,” calling on Erdogan to produce evidence of his guilt.

Meanwhile, in Turkey, Erdogan has purged tens of thousands of academics, journalists, civil servants and military personnel, he suspects of supporting Gulen.

Erdogan has also repeatedly called on the US to extradite the cleric.

Source: Deutsche Welle , August 14, 2016


Related News

War on Gulen Movement undermines Turkish diplomacy

Bent on dismantling the “parallel state,” Ankara has embarked on a reckless campaign that threatens to undermine Turkey’s foreign relations. After corruption probes targeted Cabinet members in December 2013, it came as no surprise when the AKP government dismissed and reassigned thousands of police officers, prosecutors and judges in the course of a fierce war on the movement of cleric Fethullah Gulen.

Another suspicious death: Doctor dies of heart attack in prison

Ali Özer, a 48-year-old doctor who was jailed due to his alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, has died of a heart attack in Çorum Prison. This is 57th such suspicious death or suicide since last summer’s so-called coup attempt against Erdogan regime.

RTÜK issues fines to intimidate Samanyolu TV

The Supreme Board of Radio and Television (RTÜK) has been harassing TV networks that it deems to be anti-government, and Samanyolu TV has become one of its major targets. The fines have mostly come following the Dec. 17, 2013 corruption operation, in which several businessmen close to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the sons of three ministers were detained over corruption charges.

Le Monde: Ankara offered Senegalese government $7.5 million to transfer Yavuz Selim educational group to Maarif

“I don’t even know who Gülen or (Turkish President Recep Tayyip) Erdoğan are,” mother Oury Mbaye told the website following reports her child’s school could be handed over to the Turkish government-controlled Maarif Foundation. “If they are imposing managers on me that have no experience in education, I will transfer my children to a French school. I did not choose Maarif.”

Turkey’s accused – Tragic stories of the purged

Turkey’s hunt for traitors after the failed July 15 coup has upended communities around the country and strained the rule of law. Arrests initially focused on military and security personnel. In the months since, tens of thousands of others, mainly teachers, have been caught in the crackdown.

‘Nigerians and their leaders won’t fall for Erdogan’s harebrained gambit’

…since at least 1998 Turkey has established its presence in Nigeria as one of the biggest outside forces for development in our education and health sectors. Today its 16 non-denominational Nigeria-Turkish international primary and secondary schools spread across Nigeria in Abuja, Kaduna, Lagos, Kano, Ogun and Yobe states – and with plans for more – are among the very best in the country.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

A new ring to the chain of Turkish schools in Kyrgyzstan

Talking with the “Religious Terrorist” that Turkey Wants Trump to Extradite

JWF organized a side-event at UN in Geneva

Winds of friendship were enjoyed in different parts of Turkey during the month of Muharram

The anti-thesis of radical Islam

An Eye-Opening Trek Into Turkish Society

Hizmet movement and military coups

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News