Police and inspectors raid Gülen-inspired kindergarten in Manisa

Police along with inspectors raided a number of Gülen-inspired schools in Manisa and Yozgat provinces on Thursday as a part of a government-led operation against the faith-based Gülen movement. (Photo: Cihan)
Police along with inspectors raided a number of Gülen-inspired schools in Manisa and Yozgat provinces on Thursday as a part of a government-led operation against the faith-based Gülen movement. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: August 29, 2015

Police and inspectors from several government departments have carried out further raids on Gülen-inspired schools, including a kindergarten in Manisa, as part of a government-led operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement, influenced by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Manisa was among one of five provinces where police officers and inspectors from several government bodies raided Gülen-inspired private and prep schools on Aug. 26.

Early on Thursday, police officers from the Anti-smuggling and Organized Crime Bureau (KOM), accompanied by inspectors from numerous government departments, including the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Education, the Finance Ministry, the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Animal Husbandry, and the Social Security Institution (SGK), raided a private kindergarten and the primary and secondary schools, part of the Şehzade Mehmet Education Institutions. While police officers prevented people from entering the school during the inspections, some students’ parents gathered in front of the schools to protest the raid, Cihan news agency reports.

Chairman of private Şehzade Mehmet Education Institutions Ömer Yerkazanoğlu said that two different sets of raids had been carried out on the schools within two days. Referring to all the Gülen-inspired institutions, Yerkazanoğlu said: “These schools are famous for educating people to be good, honest and decent humans. This has been tested and proven [by a number of countries] around the world. Now they [the inspectors] are coming to the schools with police and looking for problems, something [to damage the schools’ reputation]. I think what they are actually looking for is the method that describes how these schools succeed in teaching young people and creating role models.” Yerkazanoğlu added that the fundamental success of the schools was down to the self-sacrificing teachers.

In addition to this, in the southern province of Kilis, more Gülen-inspired private and prep schools were raided by riot team police as well as inspectors from eight different government bodies, at the same time as those raids in Manisa.

As well as schools, a total of 15 dormitories in the eastern province of Gaziantep were raided. Computers and invoice registers were examined during the inspection that took place on Aug. 26.

Nezih Çıtız, principal of Halil Cevizli Boys’ Dormitory, spoke to the press and criticized inspectors for raiding the dormitories with the presence of police officers. Çıtız stated that there had been no problem during previous inspections. “You look like you’re raiding a terrorist shelter,” Çıtız said, referring to the police officers: “This is the first time we have ever come across police officers [during an inspection]. Does the [Gaziantep] Governor regard this place as a terrorist shelter? We do not pose any danger to the inspectors’ safety,” Çıtız added.

A superintendent from another raided dormitory said that the police officers wanted to know whether any Syrians were residing in the building.
The detailed practices carried out during the recent inspections to Gülen-inspired education institutions received widespread attention in the media. It became regular practice for the inspectors to measure the width and length of the stairs, as well as various school noticeboards, to find out whether they were in compliance with the related regulations.

A number of private and prep schools that are sympathetic to the Gülen movement have been targeted by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) after a major graft investigation, one that implicated President Erdoğan and other top AK Party figures, was made public on Dec. 17, 2013.

Then-Prime Minister Erdoğan accused the Gülen movement of plotting to overthrow his government. In May 2014, Erdoğan publicly advised AK Party supporters not to send their children to schools affiliated with the movement, vowing, “We will not even give water [to the movement’s members].” He has also said he would carry out a “witch hunt” against anyone with links to the movement. Erdoğan has also ordered officials in AK Party-run municipalities to seize land and buildings belonging to the Gülen movement by any means necessary. The movement strongly rejects the allegations and no indictment has been brought against it.

Police and inspectors raid Gülen-inspired kindergarten in Manisa

Inspectors measure the size of signs on the wall of a school in Diyarbakır that was raided on Wednesday. (Photo: Cihan)

Source: Today's Zaman , August 27, 2015


Related News

Erdoğan escalates elimination of Gülenists from state [ with no proof of accusations]

Since the Dec. 17 graft probe, hundreds of prosecutors and judges and around 2,500 police officers who the government believes to be close to Gülen have been removed from their posts, and it seems that it is not going to stop there.

Daily Sabah rehashes decades-old, refuted claims against Gülen

In what is seen as a smear campaign against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, the pro-Erdoğan English-language Daily Sabah has rehashed old and refuted claims that Gülen is somehow linked to a 2006 attack on the Turkish Council of State by Alparslan Arslan, a lawyer who carried out the armed assault.

I came to Nigeria with just a piece of luggage –Turkish International Colleges foundation coordinator

When Behlul Basaran arrived Nigeria in 2000 from Turkey, he was armed with a single piece of luggage, an enthusiastic spirit and hope. Inside his luggage was his letter of scholarship for a university education from the Hizmet Movement, which had started building a relationship and foundation for quality education with Nigeria.

European court says Turkey’s Ergenekon arrests legal

EMRE DEMİR, STRASBOURG Europe’s top court has said the arrest of chief Ergenekon defendant Tuncay Özkan is legal, rejecting the plaintiff’s complaint that he was deprived of his right to a fair trial. The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) accepted Özkan v. Turkey despite the fact that Özkan had not exhausted all domestic judicial […]

Turkey: Detained higher education professionals at risk of torture

Scholars at Risk (SAR) is gravely concerned about sweeping actions against Turkey’s higher education sector, including most recently prolonged incommunicado detention and related risks of torture and ill-treatment of hundreds of higher education professionals, in violation of Turkey’s obligations under domestic and international law.

A Match Made in Hell: The Budding Bromance of Trump and Erdogan

Can two power-hungry egomaniacs forge a lasting alliance? Much depends on an extradition request, and whether Trump will continue the alliance with Syria’s Kurds.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

MEP: International investigation into Turkey’s rule of law needed

Turkey-Kurdistan Regional Government ties: How and why did they improve this much?

Turkey seizes another baklava maker over coup charges, appoints deputy governor as caretaker

US under Trump still highly unlikely to extradite Gülen

Row between Turkish government and Gülen movement heats up with new document

Needy Romanians provided with aid by students of Turkish school

Turkish PM Erdoğan’s rhetoric and reality

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News