Jurist’s report highlighting illegality of Karaca’s arrest submitted to top court

Journalist Karaca was arrested on Dec. 19, 2014 based on a soap opera script, as part of a government-orchestrated crackdown on the media. (Photo: Cihan)
Journalist Karaca was arrested on Dec. 19, 2014 based on a soap opera script, as part of a government-orchestrated crackdown on the media. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: July 1, 2015

MÜRSEL GENÇ / ISTANBUL

Lawyers representing journalist Hidayet Karaca, who remains in prison despite a ruling for his release, have submitted a report drafted by a prominent jurist to the Constitutional Court in which the unlawfulness of Karaca’s arrest was highlighted.

The report, drafted by Supreme Court of Appeals honorary president Sami Selçuk and emphasizing the lack of legal grounds for Samanyolu Broadcasting Group CEO Karaca’s arrest, was submitted to the Constitutional Court by Karaca’s lawyers on Tuesday.

The report was submitted as an appendix to a previous individual application with the Constitutional Court on April 25, in which Karaca’s release had been requested.

In the report, Selçuk argues that detaining an individual for airing a soap opera does not have legal basis.

Karaca is accused of sending an encrypted message to police officers to arrest the leader of an al-Qaeda-linked group in eastern Turkey via an episode of a soap opera on samanyolu TV six years ago.

“The invention of fake evidence from an imaginary [script] of a soap opera is unprecedented in the criminal trials of Turkey’s history,” said Selçuk in the report.

It was further noted in the report that the ruling of the İstanbul 32nd Court of First Instance for the release of Karaca and 63 police officers should be enforced as any failure to abide by the ruling would constitute a breach of the Constitution.

The ruling of the 32nd Court of First Instance on April 25 was not enforced by public prosecutors and the two judges who made the rulings were later arrested on May 1.

Karaca, who is currently being held without indictment and with no reason given for the recent extension of his detainment, was arrested as part of a government-orchestrated major media crackdown on Dec. 14, 2014. The operation came just three days before the first anniversary of massive corruption investigations revealed to the public on Dec. 17 and 25, 2013, which implicated prominent politicians, ministers, businessmen and people among the inner circles of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Other detainees, including Zaman Editor-in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı, have since been released pending trial.

Accusations against Gülen political

Selçuk also said in the report that the arrest warrant issued by the İstanbul First Penal Court of Peace for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen on December 2014 over allegedly leading an armed terrorist organization was “political” and based on “rumors.”

The accusations brought against Gülen were based on a speech posted on his website Herkul.org on April 6, 2009 in which he allegedly defamed the leader and several members of an al-Qaeda-affiliated group known as Tahşiyeciler (Annotators.)

The arrest warrant for Gülen was accompanied by the court’s request that the scholar be extradited from the US.
Selçuk called the accusations leveled against Gülen “political,” adding that foreign countries typically do not extradite individuals who face such accusations.

He further added that the court’s extradition request of Gülen harms the reputation of Turkey in the eyes of the US, where Gülen currently resides.

Gülen and the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement and inspired by the scholar, have been the subject of a major smear campaign by the AK Party government. Some media organs, owned and run by the AK Party government, have published stories claiming the scholar and his movement are part of a clandestine organization that is seeking to overthrow the government.

The campaign against Gülen and the Gülen movement began after the major graft investigations incriminating government figures went public in 2013.

Erdoğan and the AK Party government’s response to the corruption scandals was to reassign or dismiss those police officers and jurists who conducted the investigations and accuse the Gülen movement of orchestrating the investigations to overthrow the government.

Source: Today's Zaman , June 30, 2015


Related News

AK Party VP Sahin: We can only be grateful to Hizmet people

Vice President of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), Mehmet Ali Şahin remarked on the relations between AK Party and the Hizmet Movement (Gulen movement) in an interview*. Şahin said, “Is it possible for us to have any issue with the people performing such activities? We can be only grateful to them. We […]

New mom jailed with baby for alleged ties to Turkey coup

A woman in Turkey who just gave birth was arrested at the hospital and thrown behind bars three days later — along with her newborn baby — as part of the country’s widespread purge of “Gulenists,” a report says.

Abant Africa forum: Freedom of Speech and Respect to Sacred

Abant Platform and African Union Commission are jointly organizing an International Forum titled “Freedom of Speech and Respect to Sacred” on 8-9 March, 2014 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Sessions will be in the form of free discussions in the spirit of the Abant Platform. The program will be held at the Large Conference Hall of the African Union Commission Headquarters.

Kimse Yok Mu to launch legal case against cabinet ruling

Kimse Yok Mu filed three separate lawsuits after the cabinet ruling revoking its license to collect donations without government approval.

Fethullah Gulen and Gulen Movement Has No Political Agenda, Says Expert

Leading academics from various countries discussed the role of movements in the Muslim world and the experiences of the Gulen Movement at Arab League headquarters in Cairo. The conference, jointly held by Cairo University’s economic and political science faculty, Academic Studies and the Internet Foundation from Turkey, and Hira magazine.

Pro-gov’t media continues smear campaign against Hizmet movement

In order to defame the Hizmet movement, A Haber — a member of the government-designed “pool media,” created through funds raised by various businessmen to protect the government’s interests — has described a Felicity Party (SP) election campaign conducted by women in the province of Hatay as “black propaganda” against the Justice and Development Party (AK Party).

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Professor Ori Z. Soltes: ‘Fethullah Gülen wants to be an altruistic servant of others’

Turkey’s Opposition Fails a Critical Test: To Challenge Erdogan

Former politicians call on candidates to publicize personal assets

Gulen Institute Youth Platfrom announces essay contest: ‘Hospitality in the Global Village’

A helping hand to orphan leader’s country Benin

Uganda president praises Turkish schools’ success, calls for deeper cooperation

Kosovo detains Gülen-linked teacher at Turkey’s request

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News