Transparency and trust is our only weapon says Turkish NGO chairman

İsmail Cingöz, president of the Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?), criticized the terrorism investigation being conducted against the charity while underlining the NGO’s high standards of transparency.
İsmail Cingöz, president of the Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?), criticized the terrorism investigation being conducted against the charity while underlining the NGO’s high standards of transparency.


Date posted: May 14, 2015

BILAL ŞAHIN | ISTANBUL

Speaking to Bugün daily, Cingöz underlined how Kimse Yok Mu is an organization praised around the world for its independent, transparent and efficient humanitarian aid activities and that the current investigation of it being an armed terrorist group is being closely monitored by international agencies including those in the UN and EU. The baseless and defamatory armed terror charges against the organization came to light recently when Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor Musa Yücel issued a subpoena to Kimse Yok Mu’s management, asking for information regarding the charity’s aid activities for Eid al-Adha, an important Islamic ritual.

Cingöz pointed out that the investigation being conducted by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office against the charity organization on charges of terrorism has been met with strong reactions from abroad, “we have not had the slightest problem in any of the numerous countries we operate in – except for Turkey.” Previously not disclosed to the public, Cingöz said that the animals that they sacrificed as part of the Islamic Eid ritual, which the investigating prosecutors are claiming was an act of terrorism, had been done in the presence of a notary public and officials from Turkey’s religious affairs administration.

During Eid al-Adha, animals are slaughtered as a reminder of the Prophet Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son, Ishmael, to God as an act of obedience and submission. A portion of the meat is then distributed to the poor, along with other charitable donations, as per Islamic tradition. Each year, tens of thousands of animals are sacrificed by Kimse Yok Mu and the meat is distributed to people in need in various poor countries around the world.

Saying that Kimse Yok Mu does not have anything to fear, he added that they are prepared to provide any documents or information proving the organization’s aid activities and that the charity regularly shares all details of its financial and aid activities with the state, the United Nations and also the governments of each country where aid is delivered.

Even though the Council of State’s unanimous annulment of an investigation to rescind the charity’s right to collect donations confirms its institutional transparency, accountability and reliability, Cingöz added that Turkey’s politically-appointed governors were involved with the blocking of the charity’s activities. Stating that the government is breaching the rule of law by trying to block charity’s activities, Cingöz said “If it cannot be resolved in Turkish courts we will apply to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR).

Established in 2002, Kimse Yok Mu provides aid to 4.5 million people in 113 countries around the world. The charity was awarded the Turkish Parliament Outstanding Service Award in 2013, and is the only Turkish aid organization that holds special consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). It also developed relief programs in partnership with the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in 2013. Kimse Yok Mu became the first Turkish NGO to break into the top 100 of Global Geneva’s top ranking 500 world NGOs for 2014. Global Geneva Director Jean-Christophe Nothias stood by the nonprofit, stating that the Turkish government’s ongoing assault against Kimse Yok Mu was a major concern, adding that the nonprofit had cemented its reputation through successful operations worldwide.

Source: BGNNews , May 10, 2015


Related News

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

The Turkey Tribunal, a civil society-led, symbolic international tribunal established to adjudicate recent human rights violations in Turkey, started proceedings in Geneva on Monday where rapporteurs pointed to the use of systematic torture by the government against alleged members of the faith-based Gülen movement and Kurds.

Destici: No one should attempt to change law to save themselves

Grand Unity Party (BBP) leader Mustafa Destici, speaking about an ongoing corruption operation and the government’s response to it, said on Sunday that everyone has a responsibility to respect the laws in the country and that efforts to change the laws to protect a certain group of people from accusations are unacceptable.

Bolu municipality builds road inside Hizmet affiliated Fatih College’s garden

The Bolu Municipality, Turkey, having previously closed down two schools belonging to businesspeople affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement in early July, has now constructed a road inside the garden of Fatih College, a high school, despite the fact that the school is surrounded by empty plots of land and no residential area exists around the school.

The Mystery of Turkey’s Failed Coup

In my research, I have been on the inside living with his followers while teaching English at one of the schools. Religion is not taught. It is not in the curriculum. The idea that these are jihadist madrases, or that Gülenists are extremists or terrorists is beyond absurd as anyone who knows them will attest.

America’s Public Radio International maps out Turkish gov’t persecution of Gülen movement

“Nate Schenkkan is with Freedom House and an expert on Turkey. He says Gülenists have been left jobless, with no chance of restarting their careers. “For the vast majority of the people in the Gülen movement, it’s quite clear. They had nothing to do with any of this, whether it’s the coup attempt or any other kind of violence,” he said.

Turkish business suffers under Erdogan’s post-coup Gulen purge

Critics of the ruling AKP expect it to sell Gulen-linked companies to government allies in the business world at a large discount. In mid-October the AKP-linked Metro Holding applied to the TMSF to acquire all of Koza Ipek Holding’s shares. Akin Ipek, the fugitive former owner of the conglomerate, asked on Twitter how Koza Ipek’s $600 million in cash and $20 billion in mining assets could be acquired by a comparatively unimpressive entity. Metro Holding’s capital comes to just over $95 million.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

NEW BOOK: So That Others May Live: A Fethullah Gulen Reader

I Weep For Turkey

Portrait of Fethullah Gülen: A Modern Turkish-Islamic Reformist

Samples of Kimse Yok Mu Ramadan Aid Activities Worldwide (II)

AFSV Statement on Turkish Government Actions against Free Media

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Ramadan Dinner Downtown Brings Cultures Together in Celebration

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News