Gülen’s lawyer asks MİT whether it wiretapped client’s phone

Gülen’s lawyer Nurullah Albayrak. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Gülen’s lawyer Nurullah Albayrak. (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: April 13, 2015

İZZETTİN ÇİÇEK / ANKARA

Lawyer Nurullah Albayrak, who represents Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has asked in a petition to the National Intelligence Organization (MIT) whether allegations suggesting Gülen’s phones had been wiretapped by the organization are true.

Albayrak sent the inquiry to MİT based on claims in an article recently written by Yeni Şafak columnist Cem Küçük. In the article, Küçük wrote: “It is seen from the legal wiretaps of phone conversations released by MİT that [Doğan Media Group owner] Aydın Doğan showers Fethullah Gülen with praise. Nowadays, Turkey will be shaken with a new suitcase incident.”

Küçük’s use of the term “suitcase incident” refers to when journalist Mehmet Baransu in 2010 submitted to public prosecutors documents related to a 2003 coup plot in a suitcase, which marked the beginning of a coup trial known as Sledgehammer.

In the petition, the lawyer asked MİT if his client’s phone conversations had been wiretapped by the organization and, if so, whether it was based on a court decision or had any legal basis.

Albayrak asked whether MİT staff had uploaded to the Internet the recordings in question, which the lawyer says had been edited and were not authentic.

The lawyer also asked whether any legal action has been taken against those responsible for wiretapping his client if it had been carried out without a court order.

In addition, Albayrak asked whether MİT will take any legal action concerning the claims raised by Küçük if the allegations about the wiretapping of Gülen by MİT turn out to be false.

Source: Today's Zaman , April 12, 2015


Related News

Unimpressed by Turkish ‘parallel structure’ defense, MEPs approve critical report

A EP committee has approved a report on Turkey that criticizes the government’s handling of a corruption investigation, despite a last-minute letter from the Turkish government claiming that a set of controversial measures taken in the wake of the probe were designed to fight a “parallel structure” within the state.

Journalist reveals MGK decision to fight against all religious groups

In a statement that came as a confession, a reporter from the pro-government Sabah daily said a decision was made at the National Security Council (MGK) meeting on Thursday to wage an effective war against all religious groups in the country.

More evidence Erdogan behind coup

While the narrative voiced by Erdogan and echoed by the Turkish press blamed Gülen exclusively, many Turks and diplomats quietly harbored suspicions that Erdogan planned and staged the coup himself as a Turkish equivalent of the Reichstag Fire. That may once have sounded like a fringe conspiracy, but increasingly it seems the likely genesis of events last July.

Exiled Turkish Leader Gulen Slams Erdogan for Coup Attempt in Report

A coup attempt in Turkey last July that killed more than 300 people was an “outrageous, heinous scenario constructed by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his accomplices,” Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen said this week.

Journalists and Writers Foundation gathers all colors of Turkey at iftar

The evening began with a concert by a musical group and a welcome message from GYV Honorary President Fethullah Gülen. Many of those present expressed their wishes for peace and tolerance. Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin underlined the importance of the dinner, hoping that Ramadan would be an opportunity to enhance ties with brothers.

Mr. Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences for Rev. Billy Graham

Fethullah Gülen: I was saddened to learn of the passing of Rev. Billy Graham, a renowned man of faith who reached hundreds of millions with his inclusive messages in service of world peace. With his departure he leaves a gap that is hard to fill.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Being a Non-Muslim During Ramadan

Brooklyn Amity School crowned karate champion

Canada’s Turkish community on edge as government crackdown continues

Afghan-Turk School Students Shine Abroad

Kimse Yok Mu extends help to thousands in Palestine

Hizmet and self-criticism

Daily publishes evidence of ‘color lists’ used to recruit public sector employees

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News