Gülen says many would like to be in detained journalists’ shoes

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: December 19, 2014

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said he believes many people, including he himself, would like to be in the shoes of Zaman daily Editor-in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı and Samanyolu Broadcasting Group General Manager Hidayet Karaca, who were detained in a police operation on Sunday, implying that it is an honor for the journalists to be in custody under Turkey’s current circumstances.

In his latest speech broadcast on herkul.org, a website that usually streams his speeches, Gülen commented on the reactions of people to the detention of several journalists, including Dumanlı and Karaca — who are still in custody. He said many are talking about the crackdown with smiling faces, as if it had happened in the past.

“I think there are many people who would like to be in the shoes of Hidayet Bey and Ekrem Bey,” Gülen said. “I would also like to be in their shoes just like most of you,” he added.

He also commented on claims that a red notice will be issued for his capture by Turkish authorities, saying he would welcome it with pleasure. “But if they aim to intimidate [me] with this, they should know that real believers never bow to the idea of discord. They always stand upright, with God’s permission and help,” he said.

Dumanlı, Karaca and a number of other journalists, columnists, scriptwriters and producers were arrested on Sunday in a large-scale media crackdown. Some of the detainees were later released following questioning.

The operation is thought to be an act of revenge for last year’s major corruption and bribery scandal that implicated many state officials and pro-government businessmen.

The corruption scandal went public on Dec. 17, 2013, and implicated then-prime minister and current President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and members of his family and inner circle in addition to businesspeople close to the government. The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government accuses the Hizmet movement of being behind the corruption and bribery scandal.

A Twitter whistleblower had earlier said that in addition to several journalists, Gülen, who inspired the Hizmet movement, was among the names of those to be detained in operations that would be carried out by the police in the coming days. Gülen currently resides in the US in self-exile. The whistleblower, Fuat Avni, said Gülen was included on the detention list due to pressure from President Erdoğan.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 17, 2014


Related News

High court accepts indictment against Cihaner and Gen. Berk

The Supreme Court of Appeals on Friday accepted an indictment concerning a former third army commander and a prosecutor, who is currently a Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy, accusing the two men of founding and running a terrorist group. 2 March 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL The action plan details a military plan to destroy […]

US intel director: Turkish purge impeding fight against ‘Islamic State’

Turkey’s purge has removed military officers who’d been key figures in the US-led fight against the so-called “Islamic State,” says US intelligence head James Clapper. He called it a setback in US-Turkish cooperation.

Der Spiegel: Turkish consulate officials involved in spying activities not only in Germany

“The espionage agents around the Turkish religious authorities go beyond Germany,” the article read adding that “not only were the names of persons transmitted” but also activities by the Gülen movement-affiliated schools, day-care centers, cultural and student associations reported to Turkey.

Private schools leave mark on Science Olympiad

İzmir’s private Yamanlar, Ankara’s private Samanyolu and İstanbul’s Fatih colleges all left their mark on the 20th National Antalya Mathematics Science Olympiad, organized for primary and secondary schools by Akdeniz University and held on May 3 and 4.

Turkey’s Erdogan vows to cut off revenues of Gulen-linked businesses

“The business world is where they are the strongest. We will cut off all business links, all revenues of Gulen-linked business. We are not going to show anyone any mercy,” Erdogan said, describing the detentions so far as just the tip of the iceberg. The Turkish authorities had already seized a bank, taken over or closed several media companies, and detained businessmen on allegations of funding the cleric’s movement ahead of the failed coup attempt.

US, Gülen to trigger artificial earthquake(!) in İstanbul, Ankara mayor says

Ankara’s mayor Melih Gökçek claimed in series of tweets from his personal account on Saturday that external powers, including the US, is planning to trigger a artificial eartquake in İstanbul along theGülen Movement. “I had said FETO and US expects an earthquake in İstanbul in August 14 similar to the Gölcük eartquake in 1999. I ruined their plan after revealing in TVs. But the propoganda continues. The plan was to trigger an earthquake in İstanbul to destroy Turkey’s economy as US promised to FETO,” Gökçek wrote.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

CHP leader: PM saving himself by paralyzing constitutional order

First Lego League qualifier at Brooklyn Amity School

Likely case against Hizmet will bolster authoritarian character of Erdoğan gov’t

Interfaith Ramadan Iftar Dinner Held in Montville

Turkey detains Mozambican software developer over links to Gülen movement

Turkish Islamic preacher – threat or benefactor?

Afghan education minister pledges to open more Turkish schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News