KYM donates blankets and clothing to children in Gaza

Kimse Yok Mu Director of Foreign Aid Yusuf Yıldırım shows visitors from the West Bank the blankets the organization will distribute in the Palestinian territories.(Photo: Today's Zaman, Orhan Fırsat)
Kimse Yok Mu Director of Foreign Aid Yusuf Yıldırım shows visitors from the West Bank the blankets the organization will distribute in the Palestinian territories.(Photo: Today's Zaman, Orhan Fırsat)


Date posted: December 5, 2014

ORHAN FIRSAT / ISTANBUL

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) has recently donated 20,000 blankets to the needy in Gaza, as well as clothing for 1,000 Palestinian children.

The charity, which has provided aid to Palestinians since 2006, recently donated 10,000 blankets. Another 10,000 were given to Palestinian representatives on Thursday after their arrival in İstanbul. With the winter months approaching, the charity saw the need to aid the thousands of Palestinians who have been living in difficult conditions due to the devastating events in the region.

Officials from the charity have said that this week alone, the blankets that they have given to Palestinian amount to TL 750,000 worth of aid.

According to the charity, it has provided 2,000 packages of food as well as blankets and clothing this week. The first 10,000 blankets have already been given to residents of the Gaza Strip, while the rest of the blankets were given to Palestinian officials in İstanbul on Thursday.

Wafa Hemeid, the wife of the mayor of the city of Bethlehem in the West Bank, the West Bank’s Social Policy Committee coordinator Najla Miqdad and businesswoman Laila Asfoura accepted the aid given by the charity with pleasure. “What really left a mark with me is that Kimse Yok Mu reacts so quickly. This really pleases us. We told the charity that the winter season is approaching and that people will begin to get cold. We also told them that we were in need of blankets and before we even came to İstanbul we learned that they had already sent aid to Gaza,” Miqdad told Today’s Zaman.

Kimse Yok Mu foreign aid coordinator Yusuf Yıldırım, who supervises the aid that goes to the Palestinian regions, told Today’s Zaman: “Right now our aid is continuing in Gaza. We received the request for help on Friday and on Monday we began to distribute the aid packages. The remaining 10,000 blankets will arrive in the West Bank in the cities of Hebron and Bethlehem, and public officials have come here to collect them. In total, TL 700,000-750,000 worth of aid has arrived in Palestine this week. We praise this and the aid to the area will continue.”

KYM under pressure

The reason that the charity is able to provide aid to those in unstable regions is due to the fact that government has lifted constraints that were imposed on the charity in October.

Kimse Yok Mu has been under pressure in recent months and has received threats from Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. On Sept. 30, the charity — which is affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement — had its right to collect charitable donations abruptly rescinded by the Cabinet. The decision came into effect, according to the Twitter account of Kimse Yok Mu President İsmail Cingöz, just before Eid al-Adha, a time when many practicing Muslims make donations to charity.

Erdoğan has also made remarks to African countries, warning them against “threats” from “dangerous structures that look like nongovernmental organizations or education volunteers.” These comments were directed at the Hizmet movement, which follows the teachings of Islamic scholar Fetullah Gülen. In the wake of a major corruption scandal which erupted following police investigations last year, the government has waged a smear campaign against Hizmet, which it accuses of masterminding the corruption probes to bring down the goverment.

After much controversy and outrage at the removal of a charity’s ability to aid those in need, the 10th Chamber of the Council of State announced on Nov. 25 that the Cabinet’s decision in October that removed Kimse Yok Mu’s right to collect donations was against the law.

Çingöz said that the Council of State’s unanimous decision confirms the organization’s institutional transparency, accountability and reliability.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 04, 2014


Related News

Carino: Interfaith Thanksgiving service a good reminder

The annual gathering of Christians, Jews and Muslims took on added poignancy in light of today’s polarized climate.

Kimse Yok Mu delivers 25 electric wheelchairs to handicapped Palestinians

Turkey’s leading charity, Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There), has delivered electric wheelchairs to 25 handicapped Palestinians in Hebron, a Palestinian city located in the southern West Bank.

Governor’s office rejects Kimse Yok Mu’s application for aid campaign

The İstanbul Governor’s Office has rejected an application by the Kimse Yok Mu charity to conduct an aid campaign to help the families of victims killed in terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) attacks.

Kimse Yok Mu gives away Eid al-Adha meat in Mali

Eid al-Adha started one day late in Mali while the majority Muslims around the world celebrated it from Saturday on. Kimse Yok Mu Foundation slaughtered and gave away the 826 sacrifice shares from Turkey to the needy in Mali.

Turkish aid organizations deliver clean water to 20 million

NİHAT POLAT, İSTANBUL As Turkey continues to help struggling African countries, many Turkish aid foundations are working to resolve Africa’s long-standing water supply problem by digging wells in countries across the continent. So far more than 20 million people in Africa and elsewhere have gained access to clean water thanks to the humanitarian work of […]

Kimse Yok Mu distributes heating stoves in Mongolia

Kimse Yok Mu Foundation (KYM) recently gave away heating stoves to the needy in Mongolia. The recipient Mongolians in Erdenet city, located 400 km away from the capital Ulan Bator, expressed thanks to the foundation officials.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Say What? Ankara Mayor Blames Gulenists for Shaking Turkey With an Earthquake

Conference on Gülen’s thoughts on ideal human and ideal society to be held in Pakistan

Turkish Teacher Died Under Custody in the Aftermath of the Coup Attempt

Kimse Yok Mu provides vocational training for Palestinian orphans

Gulen followers encourage education, awareness

Bedridden mother dies of hearth attack after daughter arrested over Gulen links

US Congress members reaffirm unbreakable bonds with Turks

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News