Part of Turkish media say have been shut out by government


Date posted: November 20, 2014

HÜMEYRA PAMUK/ DASHA AFANASIEVA/ / ISTANBUL

Turkish media close to a US-based Islamic preacher accused by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of seeking to usurp power say they have been shut out of government press events in a move they see as evidence of Turkey’s deteriorating press freedoms.

Correspondents from the Zaman and Bugün newspapers, the Samanyolu TV station and Cihan News Agency say they have been banned from the presidential palace since Erdogan’s inauguration in August and no longer receive official press releases.

Erdoğan, whose ruling AK Party has roots in political Islam, accuses preacher Fethullah Gülen of building a “parallel state” of followers in institutions including the police and judiciary in a bid to seize the levers of state power.

Erdoğan says Gülen orchestrated a corruption scandal against his inner circle last year in an attempted “judicial coup,” a charge Gülen denies, and has described the preacher’s “Hizmet” (Service) network as a threat to national security.

The media ban was extended to key ministries including the prime minister’s office and the ministry of foreign affairs a few days after a National Security Council meeting last month, according to journalists from Gülen-linked media outlets.

“This is a war, a fight, an effort to wipe out Hizmet,” said Tercan Ali Baştürk of the Gülen-affiliated Journalists and Writers Foundation, seeing the ban as “punishment” for their news organizations’ coverage of the corruption probe.

The foreign ministry declined to comment but government officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, defended the move.

“The priority of some press institutions is not journalism but serving their political agenda … There are journalists who criticize the government and are still covering it, but the Gülenists had a particular agenda,” one official said.

Erdoğan’s domination of the media, much of it owned by conglomerates with business ties to the AK Party, has pushed Turkey, which is a candidate for membership of the European Union, toward the bottom of global press freedom rankings.

In its October report on Turkey’s progress towards accession, the European Commission raised concerns about press freedom in Turkey and called on the government to “promote dialogue across the political spectrum.”

It also chastised Turkey for interfering in the judiciary following the corruption probe.

Former allies

Gülen’s network helped cement Erdoğan’s rise, aiding him to curb the power of a military that saw itself as the guardian of the secular state and toppled four governments in the second half of the 20th century.

Its influence in the judiciary was seen as key to the jailing of generals and politicians as the ruling party clamped down on its secularist opponents.

Prominent journalists, including Nedim Şener and Ahmet Şık, were also detained for their work critical of Gülen’s life and influence, prompting an outcry over freedom of the press.

The marriage of convenience between Erdoğan and Gülen has since fallen apart as the former allies turned on each other in a power struggle that burst into the open with last December’s corruption scandal.

“The government is using the same methods the military used in the past … The only thing that has changed are the oppressors and the oppressed. Power has changed hands, but the old limitations on freedom have not,” Baştürk said.

Erdoğan has sought to purge the judiciary and police of Gülen’s influence in the wake of the corruption scandal and has repeatedly called for the cleric’s extradition to Turkey.

The rift has extended to businesses linked to the cleric, most notably Islamic lender Bank Asya, whose shares slumped after state-owned firms and institutions withdrew deposits earlier this year amid what its chief executive has called a “smear campaign.”

Erdoğan has denied trying to sink the bank.

Cihan’s general director, Abdülhamit Bilici, said the media ban was damaging the news agency’s business and threatened legal action.
“It’s financial discrimination,” he told Reuters, comparing the situation to restrictions imposed after a 1997 military coup. “We were on the blacklist then, when it was a military coup.Now we’re having the same from a civilian organization.”


 

Reuters

(Additional reporting by Seda Sezer and Ayla Jean Yackley in Istanbul, Gulsen Solaker in Ankara; writing by Humeyra Pamuk; editing by Nick Tattersall and Giles Elgood)

Source: Today's Zaman , November 17, 2014


Related News

Heightened anxieties in Kosovo after arrest of ‘Gulenist educator’

A civil servant: “Tens of thousands of people, educated people, academics, journalists, lawyers, and many others, are scattered around the world for different reasons and are trying to find a safe place where they can be sheltered and continue their lives with their families. The Ugur Toksoy case was the point when Kosovo’s level of safety, or its breaking point, was put to test.”

600 complaints filed alleging slander, libel against Gülen

A total of 600 complaints have been filed against those who have slandered and libeled Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen since a major corruption and bribery investigation became public on Dec. 17 of last year.

Persecution of the Gülen Movement in Turkey

The Gülen (a.k.a Hizmet) movement, a faith-based community, has been subject to political persecution for more than two years by the Turkish government since they stood up against corruption and injustice under the rule of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Erdogan has publicly called for a “witch hunt,” and arrests, threats, and harassments have now become a routine for participants and sympathizers of the movement.

State Department: US concerned by rhetoric from Turkey on Russian envoy killing

John Kirby, spokesman of the US State Department, said “Secretary [Kerry] has raised concerns about some of the rhetoric coming out of Turkey with respect to American involvement or support, tacit or otherwise, for this unspeakable assassination yesterday because of the presence of Mr. Gülen here in the United States.”

Gülen says praying for kidnapped schoolgirls, Nigerian people

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said he is praying for kidnapped schoolgirls, their families and the Nigerian people, calling on the kidnappers to immediately free the girls.

The Coup Attempt – Turkey’s Reichstag Fire

Once forces loyal to Turkish President Erdogan had put the attempted takeover down, he called the coup attempt “a gift from God” because it provided an excuse to crack down on competitors and opponents. Using enemies lists prepared well in advance, his purges have touched more than 100,000 and sparked widespread conspiracies among Turks that the July 15 coup was Turkey’s equivalent of the Reichstag fire.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Swoboda accuses Erdoğan of using Hizmet movement as a pretext

New Mother Detained Over Alleged Gülen Links Despite Doctor’s Objection In Turkey

Turkish academics exiled to Germany remain in fear

Arinc: Gulen lights the way for us

As Gulen movement contracts in Africa, worry over who will fill the vacuum

Yalçınbayır: Turkey has tendency towards institutionalization of bribery, corruption

Those who infiltrate the state

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News