TUSKON to sue dailies over disputed land reports

TUSKON President Rızanur Meral
TUSKON President Rızanur Meral


Date posted: October 30, 2014

Leading Turkish business group, the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) said on Thursday it will soon file lawsuits against certain government dailies which published allegations of irregularities regarding disputed land in İstanbul.

Following a government decision earlier this week, a tender for a large parcel of land in İstanbul, which was previously won by TUSKON, was reopened despite a prior court decision barring such a move. Although it acquired the land in İstanbul’s Yenibosna district in a tender put out by the Finance Ministry back in 2011, TUSKON said, the same land was offered in a tender to other entrepreneurs on Monday this week. Following the tender, government dailies Sabah, Yeni Şafak and Yeni Akit published reports including false information and slander targeting TUSKON, the confederation said on Thursday, adding that it had commenced legal proceedings against the “smear campaign.”

TUSKON said in a written statement on Thursday that the confederation denies the information published in some of the pro-government dailies.

The confederation acquired the land in 2011 in a tender put out by the Finance Ministry, and agreed to rent it for 49 years at a price of TL 1.6 million per year. However, earlier this year, the Prime Ministry attempted to cancel the ongoing authorization process, which had already been extended on two occasions. A subsequent court decision resulted in a stay of execution which barred the cancellation of the process. However, according to TUSKON’s statement, a new tender was opened for the 36,000-square-meter piece of land on Monday by Emlak Konut GYO — a subsidiary of the Housing Development Administration of Turkey (TOKİ) — in defiance of the court decision. A total of 13 companies participated in the first session of the tender process on Monday.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 30, 2014


Related News

Teacher tortured to death by Turkish police found innocent, reinstated to job

Teacher Gökhan Açıkkollu, who was tortured to death while in police custody in the wake of a coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016 over alleged membership in the faith-based Gülen movement, was found innocent one-and-a-half years later and “reinstated” to his job.

(Not a joke) Turkish governor: ISIL terrorist detonated himself in construction site not to harm neighbors

Following the detonation of an Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) terrorist in Turkey’s Gaziantep province on Sunday, the governor told reporters that the suicide bomber detonated himself in a construction site in order not to cause problems for the neighbors.

Hate speech creates new opportunities for Hizmet movement

The effects of the ruling party’s persistent hate speech against the Hizmet movement on non- Hizmet groups can be examined by dividing the groups into two categories: conservative groups and other groups.

Turkey’s Opposition Fails a Critical Test: To Challenge Erdogan

The CHP’s inability to seize the moment and strongly condemn the arbitrary extent and nature of the purges from the start was a critical failure, and one that serves to undermine its integrity and sustainability as an opposition force. Despite tentative but welcome signs from the CHP towards highlighting the exponential injustices of Turkey’s ongoing purge, it still seems like a classic case of acting too little, too late.

1,000 families provided with meat Kimse Yok Mu in Ankara

International charity organization Kimse Yok Mu distributed sacrificed meat to a total of 1,000 families during the Eid al-Adha in Ankara on Thursday. Families received meat in boxes which were paid for the donations from benevolent Turkish people at one of the offices of the KYM in Mamak district.

Gülen’s lawyer files libel suit against Interior Minister Ala

Albayrak stated in the petition that unrealistic allegations and imputations, intended to defame his client Gülen, were made by Ala during his speech in Erzurum. Albayrak stated: “The expressions used by Ala cannot be considered within the scope of freedom of expression as they clearly violate the personal rights of Gülen.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Hundreds of young Turkish children jailed alongside their moms as part of a post-coup crackdown

Gülen’s followers banned from mosque in Germany

Malaysia Exposes Abductions By Erdoğan’s Long Arm In Asia

Separate state and religion

‘The Gulen movement is one of the very few that has managed to live what it preaches.’

Turkish school threatens students who refuse to write poems on coup attempt

Fethullah Gulen on attempts to associate Hizmet with terrorism and ISIS

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News