Gaza group: Oppression targeting Kimse Yok Mu harms needy the most

A Palestinian kid carries an aid package delivered by Kimse Yok Mu? charity organization in Gaza. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Ali Poyraz)
A Palestinian kid carries an aid package delivered by Kimse Yok Mu? charity organization in Gaza. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Ali Poyraz)


Date posted: October 12, 2014

İLYAS KOÇ/ SATI KILIÇER/ / ISTANBUL

Gaza Peace Volunteers Association Chairman Dr. Nasser al-Sadi has expressed his frustration at a recent government decision to cancel the Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu’s (Is Anybody There?) permission to collect donations for the rest of the year, saying that the charity’s ongoing flow of aid to many regions in Turkey and abroad, including Gaza, has now come to a halt.

“Kimse Yok Mu is one of the charities that brings the most help to Gaza. During the war, the charity supplied aid to more than half a million people in the region,” Sadi said in an exclusive interview with Today’s Zaman on Saturday.

Stating that his association and Turkey’s largest volunteer and global aid organization, Kimse Yok Mu, have jointly embarked on a development project for the 17,000 homeless families in Gaza city, Sadi asserted that the pressure on the charity from the Turkish government will harm the Palestinian people more than anybody else.

“Due to the Turkish government’s arbitrary decision to cancel the charity’s permission to collect donations, 4,000 Africans suffering from cataracts will not receive eye surgery that had been planned for the upcoming months in many African countries. Moreover, the maintenance of more than 600 water wells in Niger cannot be conducted. Regular medical screenings in many African countries by doctors affiliated with Kimse Yok Mu will not take place any more. In other words, this is really upsetting. Their [the Turkish government’s] real aim must be either to delay or postpone the aid to Palestinians and African people,” Said noted.

Following a sudden Cabinet decision to remove public interest status from Kimse Yok Mu, on Thursday the government also cancelled the charity’s permission to collect donations until the end of this year. Thus, the charity’s flow of aid to many regions in Turkey and abroad, including Gaza, has come to a halt.

In the meantime, various segments of society, including politicians, volunteers and legal experts, are continuing to express their frustration at the recent government decision to remove public interest status from Kimse Yok Mu.

Experienced gynecologist Nurcan Dalan, who provided voluntary medical assistance to patients in Sudan, told Today’s Zaman that nobody should have the right to prevent aid from reaching people in need in Africa and across the world. “I do not understand why anybody would block a charitable foundation that has been providing aid to hundreds of thousands people in need in many countries. Why would anybody prevent these charitable works? We will continue to contribute to Kimse Yok Mu whatever the consequences,” Dalan said.

A smear campaign against the organization was launched after the breaking of an anti-corruption investigation, implicating leading Justice and Development Party (AK Party) figures, on Dec. 17. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who was previously prime minister and AK Party chairman, has targeted Kimse Yok Mu, affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement, due to an apparent government grudge against the grassroots movement, which it holds responsible for the corruption investigation.

Felicity Party (SP) leader Mustafa Kamalak, commenting on the government decision, has said there is nothing to worry about, as the decision is likely to be canceled by a Turkish court. “It is obvious that this kind of arbitrary decision does not have a place in a state of law. It is just a matter of time before a stay of execution is issued on the government’s decision to remove the public interest status of Kimse Yok Mu,” Kamalak told Today’s Zaman. Law and Life Association President Mehmet Kasap is also among those who have denounced the government’s arbitrary decision. “The decision has no apparent legal grounds. And it is unlawful for this reason,” Kasap said.

Kimse Yok Mu is active in 113 countries around the world. The charity distributes food and the meat of sacrificed animals, as well as constructing hospitals, schools and orphanages and digging wells to extend a helping hand to those in need.

Association of Human Rights and Solidarity for Oppressed Peoples (MAZLUM-DER) Chairman Ahmet Faruk Ünsal has stated that the government must announce the reason for its cancellation of Kimse Yok Mu’s previously obtained permission.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 12, 2014


Related News

A dirty war in the run-up to the elections

With the Gülen movement officially marked in police reports as being a “terrorist organization,” we can say that the ruling party’s war against the civilian populace has truly reached its dirtiest stage. A brief summary: The Gülen movement is undoubtedly one of the Muslim world’s most peaceful and tolerant civil movements ever.

Turkish women make a difference in Africa

“Kimse Yok Mu has been very active in Africa providing humanitarian and development assistance. State-level or diplomatic presence has occasionally followed the NGO presence in Africa,” Cevik told SES Türkiye.

Buhari’s wife hails culture

The wife of the President, Aisha Buhari, has described as noble and fascinating the diversity in culture and languages in Nigeria. She spoke at the International Festival of Language and culture in Abuja organised by the First Surat Group of companies in collaboration with the Federal Capital Territory Administration FCTA.

Defamation campaign against Gülen draws heavy criticism

Many prominent figures in the society have slammed an apparent defamation campaign targeting Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen through the inclusion of his name among the list of most dangerous terrorists, saying that Gülen is a figure who has devoted his entire life to peace building efforts.

Refugee helps refugees

Syrian refugees are getting a helping hand from central Pennsylvania thanks to an effort being led by a refugee in Cumberland County. Zuhra Korkutovic knows what it’s like to have to leave your homeland and start over.

Conference highlights Turkish schools’ contribution to world peace

ESRA KOŞAR, NEW YORK Education ministers and academics from various countries highlighted the contributions to world peace made by Turkish schools inspired by internationally respected Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen during a conference held in New York on Monday. The gathering, featuring attendees from across the world, was titled “The Peacebuilding Through Education International Conference” and […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

The philosophical and intellectual contest “Know Thyself” held in Bishkek

Hizmet movement applauded at friendship dinner in Italy

Kimse Yok Mu uplifts orphans in Tacloban

Judiciary acts in line with legally unfounded police report to describe Hizmet as terrorist

Journalists and Writers Foundation’s statement [on arrest warrant issued for Mr. Gulen]

Somalian Ambassador, “We Felt the Eid with Turkish Aids”

Gülen offers more explanations of his views on continuing slander

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News