Gülen lawyer denies claims of shooting movie about Erdoğan family


Date posted: May 29, 2014

ISTANBUL

A lawyer for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Nurullah Albayrak, has denied claims that the scholar or his sympathizers are shooting a movie about Turkey’s prime minister and his family.

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said before a crowd of his supporters in the eastern province of Ağrı on Wednesday that “Pennsylvania is shooting a movie about my family.” Pennsylvania is the US state where Gülen resides. “I have just found out that Pennsylvania is preparing a nice movie about me. They are preparing a nice movie about me and my family,” Erdoğan said in the rally, ahead of a re-run of a municipal election in Ağrı on Sunday.

“Those who inform the prime minister are either making a joke or the prime minister is being misled,” Albayrak said in a statement on Wednesday. The lawyer added that it is inappropriate to trade in such false information for political ends.

Erdoğan is widely expected to run in Turkey’s first direct presidential election in August and he suggested the release of such a video was designed to embarrass him ahead of the vote.

“These plots have always failed, and they will fail. Now they are calculating on getting the movie ready before the presidential elections,” he said.

Erdoğan has been battling a corruption scandal which emerged in December. Police raids targeted businessmen close to him and the sons of ministers, but it appears to have run out of steam, with one graft court case dismissed at the start of May.

The prime minister has removed thousands of police and judiciary officials from their posts in what he characterizes as a campaign to root out a subversive “parallel state.”

The power struggle has been one of the biggest challenges of Erdoğan’s 11-year rule, but in his light-hearted comments about a possible video on Wednesday he showed no sign it worried him.

“They weren’t able to find an appropriate actor to play me so far. They couldn’t find an actor to play my son either,” he said. “But they don’t need to go to Hollywood to find actors, they have plenty of artists among themselves.”

Source: Todays Zaman , May 29, 2014


Related News

Albania Ignores Erdogan’s Tirade Against Gulen

Albanian officials have made it clear that Albania is not planning to act on demands by Turkey’s President for the country to close down the Gulen movement.

Exiled journalist warns of a genocide in the making in newly released book

“The increasingly widespread witch-hunt, systematic and widespread hate speech, ongoing persecution and massacre of Gulen movement members have made conditions in Turkey ripe for a deliberate, planned and systematic genocide,” Bülent Keneş, a veteran Turkish journalist in exile, wrote in his newly released book.

Erdoğan’s stance on Turkish Schools turns to hatred after corruption probes

The discourse that President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan displays towards internationally-located Turkish schools — which are run by Turkish entrepreneurs inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — shifted completely towards a hateful stance after corruption investigations went public in December 2013 incriminated Erdoğan, his family members and close associates.

Gülen lawyers file complaint against prosecutors over wrongful probe

Lawyers representing Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen have filed a complaint against two İstanbul prosecutors who are conducting an investigation into their client, accusing them of violating procedural rules in the manner the probe is being conducted. The prosecutors have also lied on many occasions in writing, according to Gülen’s lawyers, who say that the prosecutors […]

Report exposes death from torture of Turkish teacher in police custody

A new report from the Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF) titled “Tortured to Death” exposes the case of 42-year-old history teacher Gökhan Açıkkollu. The report details every day he was kept in custody, where he was repeatedly beaten. The government documents, medical reports, independent opinions and witness statements obtained by SCF show his death was not due to natural causes.

TURKISH FOUNDATION HIT IN ARSON GETS POLICE PROTECTION; 2ND GROUP VICTIMIZED

The municipality of Deventer will be placing surveillance cameras at the building of Turkish foundation Gouden Generatie on Tuesday. The building was set aflame on Saturday. Until the new cameras are in place, police surveillance will be intensified around the building, a spokesperson for the municipality said to RTL Nieuws.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

US State Department ‘Can’t Imagine’ Accepting Erdogan Offer to Trade Hostage Pastor for Gulen

France Urges Turkey to Respect Rights in Aftermath of Coup

Bias about Gulen Movement in light of The Economist column

Brazilian Intellectuals and Artists Defend Turk against Demands for Extradition to Turkey

Albanian Speaker of the Parliament: Schools of “Gulen” Movement will not be closed

President Gul says debates over prep schools should not lead to ‘resentment’

Fethullah Gülen’s photo

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News