Daily Sabah rehashes decades-old, refuted claims against Gülen


Date posted: April 5, 2014

ANKARA

In what is seen as a smear campaign against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, the pro-Erdoğan English-language Daily Sabah has rehashed old and refuted claims that Gülen is somehow linked to a 2006 attack on the Turkish Council of State by Alparslan Arslan, a lawyer who carried out the armed assault.

 

According to the daily, Arslan, who was convicted of killing senior judge Mustafa Yücel Özbilgin, a member of the 2nd Chamber of the high court, and wounding four others in a shooting on May 17, 2006, had claimed back then that he had obtained Özbilgin’s address from Kemalettin Gülen, a lawyer and cousin of Fethullah Gülen.

The claims raised by Arslan were denied by Kemalettin Gülen, who said he had not spoken to Arslan at all and he knew him only during their college years in law school.

Orhan Erdemli, the attorney for Fethullah Gülen, also denied claims on Aug. 11, 2006, adding Kemalletin Gülen is not his client’s nephew but a cousin. He said the allegations linking the scholar to the Council of State attacker without any evidence are a violation of legal principles.

Arslan was released from prison last month after his lawyer submitted a petition to an İstanbul court. In his petition to the İstanbul 18th High Criminal Court, Arslan’s lawyer cited Law No. 6526 as the basis for the request, on the grounds that the maximum period of detention is now five years.

In 2009, the shooting trial was merged with the trial of suspects who are allegedly members of the coup-plotting network known as Ergenekon. Arslan said he had attacked the court in protest of an anti-headscarf ruling it had handed down, but the Ergenekon indictment contained evidence that he was connected with the terrorist network and that his family had received large sums of money from unidentified sources after the shooting.

In August of 2013, an İstanbul court sentenced Arslan to consecutive life sentences. As the sentence has not yet been upheld by the Supreme Court of Appeals and the hit man has been under detention for more than five years, Arslan was released.

Gökhan Özbilgin, the son of the victim in the shooting, reacted harshly to Arslan’s release, saying his father had been killed a second time.

Arslan’s demand for release came shortly after the release of former Chief of General Staff retired Gen. İlker Başbuğ, as well as the release of five suspects tried for brutally killing three Christians at the Zirve Publishing House in 2006.

Roughly two weeks before Arslan was released, a bill described by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) as a fifth democratization package had been approved by Parliament’s General Assembly, and under this bill the specially authorized courts created by Article 10 of the Counterterrorism Law (TMK) were completely abolished.

Following a request from the Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office, the İstanbul 6th High Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for Arslan, who was sent to Silivri prison in İstanbul.

The Daily Sabah has also mischaracterized the Ergenekon case, saying media outlets affiliated with the Gülen movement have in particular deemed Ergenekon to be a “terrorist organization.” In fact, the Ergenekon organization was certified as a terrorist organization by the İstanbul 13th High Criminal Court, which completed a 16,000-page reasoned decision on the landmark case in which hundreds of suspects, including military generals, were handed life sentences on the charge of plotting to topple a democratically elected government.

In the decision, the court called Ergenekon an armed terrorist group according to Turkish law, given its structure and activities. “It is the first time in Turkey that the judiciary has issued a verdict about a deep state structure, which is known as Ergenekon, and about which a great number of complaints have been raised,” the court noted in its decision.

The news story on Gülen falsely linking the Council of State incident to the Islamic scholar represents the latest example of unscrupulous reporting published by the Daily Sabah, whose editorial line is staunchly anti-Gülen and whose reporting amounts to Gülen-p

Source: Todays Zaman , March 4, 2014


Related News

Gülen issues message of condolences for slain prosecutor Kiraz

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has offered his deep condolences to family of Prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz, who was killed after a deadly hostage crisis on Tuesday.

Democracy on the rocks in Turkey

Last week’s military coup attempt in Turkey is likely to have a debilitating impact on Turkish democracy. Already, several thousand military officials and bureaucrats have been arrested. Even more perturbing, more than 2,000 judges were removed from their jobs.

Global Spying Network: Erdogan’s Worldwide Monitoring of Gülen Supporters

In his desire to convince the world that Gülen is a criminal, Erdogan has been demanding that the U.S. extradite Gülen for months. That also likely explains why the Turkish government is currently collecting information from all over the world. It needs incriminating evidence in order to substantiate the allegations against Gülen.

Turkish imam spy affair in Germany extends across Europe

The Federal Prosecutors Office (GBA) said in a statement no arrests were made in the raids in the states of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) and Rhineland-Pfalz, which aimed to collect evidence into imams conducting alleged espionage against supporters of the US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen.

Part of Turkish media say have been shut out by government

Turkish media close to a US-based Islamic preacher accused by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of seeking to usurp power say they have been shut out of government press events in a move they see as evidence of Turkey’s deteriorating press freedoms.

Turkish gov’t detains more than 70 women over their alleged financial support for jailed Gülen followers

The Turkish government detained more than 70 women on Wednesday evening in five provinces across Turkey as part of a investigation targeting alleged members of the Gülen movement. It was claimed that the detained women have been helping financially to the relatives of those who were jailed or escaped from the persecution of the Turkish government.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gülen underlines values, rejects alliance with political party or leader

Ethiopian Minister of Foreign Affairs holds talks with TUSKON delegation

World-famous Hafiz Naina: Turkish Schools serve humanity

Turks Should Question The Official Narrative That Gulen Was Behind The Coup

In Netherlans court orders parents to stop calling De Roos primary a terrorist school

Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (1)

A perseverant Kurdish man at the Turkish school in Siberia

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News