Gülen’s lawyer: Systemic, illegal wiretaps taking place in Turkey over last six months


Date posted: January 31, 2014

ANKARA

The lawyer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said there has been systematic eavesdropping on unsuspecting citizens for the last six months which led to a smear campaign against his client that included edited and doctored voice recordings.

After “lies” and “defamatory statements” about Gülen surfaced in the media once new recordings were leaked on the Internet, lawyer Nurullah Albayrak said in a written statement that Gülen’s phone calls had been illegally wiretapped.

“Today, it has become obvious that there has been systematic, illegal wiretapping going on in this country for at least six months. The information in these voice recordings, after being edited and doctored, was released as part of the smear campaign,” he said.

On behalf of his client, Albayrak filed a criminal complaint against those responsible for illegally wiretapping many of Gülen’s phone conversations with friends.

He has called on prosecutors and officials to expose an illegal organization in Ankara believed to be responsible for wiretapping influential figures’ phone calls and as well as the defamation campaign.

Stressing that the publication of illegally wiretapped conversations is a crime punishable by up to six years in jail, according to Turkish Penal Code (TCK) Article No. 133, Gülen’s lawyer said that his client is neither being investigated nor is there a court judgment sanctioning that he be wiretapped.

He said whoever is illegally listening in is apparently aiming to distract public attention from the ongoing corruption investigations. The lawyer added that a political engineering campaign is being attempted to discredit his client.

In another set of recordings leaked at the same times as Gülen’s illegal voice recordings, a man named “Süleyman” can be heard speaking to a reporter. Gülen’s lawyer said his client had no association with Süleyman and that the conversation between him and the unnamed reporter are lies and slander.

Albayrak stressed that tapes have been doctored to mislead the public about Gülen.

In the leaked phone conversations, Süleyman was claiming that a new political party would be set up with 78 defectors from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party). He admitted to connections with Israel-linked lobbies and financial circles and predicted that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government would soon fall.

Gülen’s lawyer said none of the claims raised by this person have any truth to them and that the timing of events mentioned in the voice recordings did not match when they actually occurred. He believes this is another sign that the recordings were doctored for propaganda purposes.

Albayrak said the media reports about the recorded phone conversations have been made in an effort to tarnish Gülen’s reputation.

Last week, Albayrak said illegal voice recordings of conversations Gülen had with friends on the phone did not contain anything that constitute a crime and that their broadcast violates the norms of communication privacy.

Gülen’s lawyer also criticized the AK Party government for not vigorously investigating who performed the illegal wiretaps. He lamented the fact that the government failed to expose the culprits despite it being in power for the last 11 years. He also blasted politicians from the governing party for exploiting content from illegal voice recordings in public rallies. “This has encouraged the perpetrators,” he said.

Albayrak said he will soon file criminal complaints regarding the latest recordings as well as against the person identified as “Süleyman.”

Source: Todays Zaman , January 31, 2014


Related News

Pro-gov’t daily proudly announces Gulenists put in ‘concentration camp’

Gulenists under custody as part of an investigation into Turkey’s July 15 coup attempt are kept in a “concentration camp” near Kayseri province, pro-gov’t Turkish news portal Kayseri Haber reported on Aug 13.

Police raid business association in Malatya in new government-backed operation

Police teams entered and searched the premises of the Malatya Active Businessmen’s Association (MAKİAD) on Thursday in a new wave of government-led operations targeting institutions deemed to have an affiliation with the Gülen movement — a faith-based initiative inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Alevi problems deeper than they seem, opinion leaders agree

On the first day of the 30th Abant Platform meeting on Friday on the Alevis issue in Turkey, Alevi and Sunni intellectuals and opinion leaders agreed that the problems date back to centuries ago and are more complicated than they seem. The event, titled “Searching for peace and a future together,” brought together representatives of various Alevi communities as well as Alevi and Sunni pundits, journalists and academics in an effort to have a comprehensive debate on one of the lingering problems of Turkish society.

Kurdish initiative should not be suspended by provocative acts

TUĞBA MEZARARKALI/MEHMET TAYANÇ, BINGÖL The final declaration of a recent symposium on Turkey’s Kurdish issue, attended by Turkish and international academics, authors, politicians and leading thinkers, says that Kurdish initiatives aiming to resolve Turkey’s long-standing Kurdish problem by meeting some of the Kurdish people’s demands should not be suspended due to provocative acts. Organized by […]

‘PM conducting psychological warfare [against Hizmet movement] to cover graft claims’

The Hizmet movement is a grassroots movement based on voluntary participation aimed at fostering interfaith dialogue and tolerance, with a particular emphasis on education.

KYM Calls for Papers-International Conference on “Social Media for Good”

International Conference on Social Media for Good aims at systematizing and improving existing models on social media, suggesting new innovative approaches and practices, using their effectiveness in enhancing goodness and philanthropy, and resolution of social problems.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Yamanlar College student becomes world math champion

NATO Insiders Suspect Turkey Coup Was Staged by Erdogan himself

History of politically motivated assault on Bank Asya

Antioch came together over Iftar

The Islamic case for a secular state

Youth address global poverty in Gülen Institute’s essay contest

Turkey as a “serial” human rights derogator

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News