UN and Turkish charity provide 17,000 Syrian refugees with financial aid


Date posted: January 23, 2014

 

ANKARA

In a project jointly carried out by Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu and the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), 2,900 Syrian families comprising some 17,000 people, most of whom are women and children who fled the civil war in Syria and sought refuge in Turkey, are being provided with financial aid totaling TL 3.5 million ($1.5 million).

The families in need, who live in Gaziantep, Kilis, Nizip, Reyhanlı and Yayladağı, will be able to receive the financial assistance through special bank cards.

Up to 17,000 Syrian refugees living in difficult conditions, some of them begging on the streets, outside of camps established in Turkey for Syrians will be able to benefit for two months from the project Kimse Yok Mu is conducting in cooperation with the UNHCR.

TL 100 ($44) of a total of TL 200 per person will be deposited in the bank cards in January to be distributed to the Syrian refugees, with the second half to be deposited in February. When the first phase of the project is completed, a family of five will have received a total of TL 1,000 ($441), while a family of eight would have received $707.

Each of the families receiving the financial assistance will be given an ID number and will be registered in the Kimse Yok Mu project system, which is a reporting system that keeps track of what those benefitting from the financial aid spend their money on. By providing information about what refugees need, the project will be the foundation of further steps to be taken as part of the aid project.

Thanks to face-to-face discussions with and comprehensive surveys of 2,900 families who were seen to be unable to earn a living, the needs of these families were determined. The research found that most of those in need were women and children below the age of 12. The refugees, who are unable to meet their basic needs such as housing and clothing, also face the risk of falling ill with the arrival of cold winter weather.

Savaş Metin, the coordinator of the project and Kimse Yok Mu secretary-general, who noted that they have extended efforts to help Syrian refugees from the moment the civil war in Syria started, said in a written statement that under the scope of the project in which the charity is a solution partner to the United Nations, those in need were identified with the help of volunteers who serve Kimse Yok Mu, the municipalities of the towns where refugees live and nongovernmental organizations. “This project will pave the way for refugees to spend [the money] based on their own needs,” Metin added.

Nedra Katib, a 55-year-old widow who lives with her five children in a house in Kilis province, is one such refugee. Her husband died in a bomb blast while selling sahlep on the streets of Syria. Telling her story to officials from the charity, she said: “I have lost everything: my husband, my house. Suffering from hunger and thirst, we managed to somehow cross the border on foot. We sought shelter in this house with my five children. It is only my son who can work. He earns TL 20-30 [$9-13] a day.”

The family has their meals at a soup kitchen run by Kimse Yok Mu in Kilis. Katib, who said she was paying TL 700 ($308) in rent for the house, expressed her happiness with the project, saying, “With the card you gave, I will first buy shoes for my children.”

The total aid, financial and in kind, Kimse Yok Mu has provided so far to Syrian refugees in Turkey is worth TL 42 million ($18.5 million).

Source: Todays Zaman , January 23, 2014


Related News

Corruption scandal will consolidate Turkish democracy

” When all the dust settles in the aftermath of corruption, money laundering and racketeering involving higher-ups in the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), we will have the chance to lay the foundation for a democracy by consensus, which is the only way to rule a large country like Turkey with a relatively young population and rising middle class.”

Former football star, İstanbul deputy says he is subject to hate crime

AK Party government used the Hizmet movement, its human resources, intellectual muscle and power in the international arena and at home until it became stronger [than the movement].

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, leave country

“It’s a kind of civil death,” Kerem Altiparmak, a human rights lawyer and political science professor at Ankara University told Los Angeles Times on Wednesday when describing how the lives of thousands of people change after the July 15 coup attempt.

Water well for 10 thousand Pakistani with the money from cattle milk

A philanthropist woman from Kocaeli (a province in northwest Turkey), Siyade Yilmaz, has financed a water well, in memory of her father, at the service of 10 thousand in Daraban town of Tehsil Kulachi in Dera Ismail Khan District in Pakistan. In her statements, Yilmaz said they had been previously able to go to hajj […]

EU’s Flautre says PM Erdoğan’s harsh words against Hizmet not acceptable

Hélène Flautre, the co-chairwoman of the EU-Turkey Joint Parliamentary Committee, has criticized Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s harsh rhetoric against the Hizmet movement, saying that Erdoğan’s use of labels such as “traitor,” “virus” and “assassin” are simply not acceptable.

Turkish court: There is no Gulen terror organization

The 2nd Criminal Court in the southern province of Hatay rejected an indictment prepared about the Fethullah Gülen Terrorist Organization (FETÖ), a term used by the Turkish government to describe the Gülen movement, saying that there is no such a terrorist organization officially identified.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Pakistan plans to expel Turkish teachers linked to opposition at home

40,000 people reported to authorities for being Gülen followers since July 15

Colours of the World; IFLC Pakistan grand finale

HIzmet centre takes on Erdogan regime

US-Based Muslim Preacher Leverages Influence Back in Turkey

Turkish PM Erdoğan’s imagined enemies

Gülen’s followers banned from mosque in Germany

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News