PM Erdoğan calls on his supporters to boycott [Hizmet’s] prep schools


Date posted: December 27, 2013

İSTANBUL
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has called on his supporters to boycott prep school, which help students studying university and high school admission exams.

Speaking to crowd gathered at İstanbul Atatürk Airport to welcome him, Erdoğan said the corruption investigation is continuation of a recent row over government proposal to close the prep schools.

A controversial proposal that seeks to shut down prep schools, or test study centers that assist students in preparing for high school and university examinations, sparked public outrage and led to deep division among the public in the face of lack of a broader policy framework to address the structural woes in the education system.

One of the opponents of the government proposal is faith-based Hizmet Movement led by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, which cited that without abolition of the central university exam, the move will cause serious troubles.

Calling on his supporters to boycott prep schools, Erdoğan took another swipe at the Hizmet movement, which, according to him, pulled the trigger of the recent corruption operation.

However, lawyer of Fethullah Gülen denied any involvement in the recent graft probe, strongly rejected any link to the case.

Three ministers resigned from Cabinet while four deputes parted ways with the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) since last week.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 27, 2013


Related News

Yamanlar and Fatih High Schools’ success at International Science Olympiads

Yamanlar and Fatih Science High Schools won medals at the international physics, chemistry, biology and computer this summer as well. Sebahattin Kasap, CEO of Yamanlar Education Institutions, said; “207 out of 391 medals won so far at the international Olympiads by Turkish student won by Yamanlar Science High School students. We are happy to represent Turkey successfully”.

Why is the government freeing bloody murderers?

The government is continuing to act in panic. In the last couple of months, every single step it has taken has somehow been related to the graft probe, and they all are being taken to suffocate the corruption investigation. The government is freeing Ergenekon suspects willingly and on purpose to create an alliance against the so-called “parallel state,” as they call the movement inspired by Fethullah Gülen.

AK Party government removing critical voices from state bodies

Many bureaucrats who are just doing their jobs and have no affiliation with any political groups now face [the prospect of] being dismissed with a claim of having links to the Hizmet movement. However, it is widely known that many of the bureaucrats discharged from their posts do not have any links with the movement,” Arslan said.

WaPo publishes editorial from Fethullah Gulen on the day Erdogan meets Trump

If nothing else, the timing of this is certainly interesting. Yesterday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan arrived in Washington for his meeting with President Trump scheduled for later today. It’s an encounter which I already described as problematic at best, given Erdogan’s new status as a strongman and tyrant, and it doesn’t seem to hold the promise of much benefit on our part.

Another woman detained on coup charges one day after giving birth

Fatma Türkmen, who gave birth to a baby in Ankara on Monday, was reportedly detained on Tuesday over alleged links to the Gülen group.

Academic freedom at universities under growing threat

Süleyman Yaşar, a former columnist at the Sabah daily who has a broad vision regarding the economic policy of the current government, was fired from the outlet for not criticizing the Hizmet movement [the faith-based organization inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Islamic scholar Gülen calls for ‘reasonability’ in prep school row

Headlines or weapons of mass destruction?

Nearly 500 police officials reassigned in Ankara, İzmir

Understanding the Hizmet Movement in Nigeria

Turkey Faces Its Iran 1979 Moment

“It’s a religious duty to establish love and tolerance in society”

‘Every minister I met in Africa asked for more schools’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News