Gülen says he supports broader press freedoms


Date posted: March 27, 2012

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said he advocates broader rights specifically in the arenas of freedom of expression and freedom of the press for journalists, including those who “unjustly” accuse him of conspiring against them.

The allegations were recently voiced following the recent release of four journalists released pending trial in the OdaTV case, launched as part of a probe into Ergenekon –a clandestine criminal network accused of plotting to overthrow the government.

“As I expressed earlier, I am in favor of a broader enforcement of freedom of expression and the press,” Gülen said on his Twitter account on Monday in response to recent accusations against him and the faith-based movement inspired by him of being behind a recent coup plot case against some journalists. The allegations were recently voiced following the recent release of four journalists released pending trial in the OdaTV case, launched as part of a probe into Ergenekon –a clandestine criminal network accused of plotting to overthrow the government.

Journalist Ahmet Şık, one of the four journalists imprisoned, accused some members of the Gülen movement of conspiring against him as he was leaving Silivri Prison. “The judges, prosecutors and police officers who plotted and implemented this conspiracy will be put in prison. Those community-linked, gang-linked people will be here. Justice will be served when they enter here,” he told reporters. He was referring to the movement in using the word “community.”

Gülen said he supports ever broader freedoms for journalists who direct accusations at him. “I am also in favor of their free usage of their freedoms of expression, thought and the press even if they have completely opposite views and they, unjustly, blame me for what happened to them,” Gülen said. The Gülen movement is a group of volunteers engaged in interfaith and intercultural dialogue inspired by the ideas of Gülen, whose teachings promote mutual understanding and tolerance between cultures.

Commenting on Gülen’s remarks, his lawyer, Orhan Erdemli, explained that his client has many times in the past said he is a strong defender of freedom of the press. Stating that Gülen also takes criticism of his person within the scope of freedom of expression, he added, however, that this freedom is being misused against Gülen as serious insults are leveled against his client.

Erdemli said Gülen has also been charged in the past for his opinions. “Those who today regard unjust and heavy accusations [against Gülen] within the scope of freedom of expression did not raise a voice when my client was being charged due to his thoughts,” he complained.

Source: Today’s Zaman http://www.todayszaman.com/news-275508-gulen-says-supports-broader-rights-for-journalists.html


Related News

Will Turkish corruption scandal lead to return of military to politics?

The tactics the government has developed to defend itself against the graft investigations and their implications have once again brought the role of the military, military tutelage and potential coup attempts back onto Turkey’s agenda.

Turkey asks imams abroad to profile Gülen-linked expatriates

A document dated Sept. 20, 2016 shows that Turkey’s Directorate of Religious Affairs (Diyanet) asked Turkish missions and religious representatives abroad to profile Gülen movement expatriates living in their respective foreign countries.

Turkish Police Wait To Detain Another Women Just Hours After Delivery

Turkish government, which has imprisoned at least 700 babies so far, is now trying to imprison one more mother together with her newly born baby in Kahramanmaraş province on Tuesday.

Turkey’s president orders closure of 1,000 private schools linked to Gülen

Turkey’s president has signed a decree that allows for the extension of the pre-charge detention period and the closure of institutions linked to Fethullah Gülen, the exiled cleric blamed for masterminding last weekend’s failed military coup.

Stop doing Erdogan’s dirty work, Freedom centre tells Malaysia

Stockholm Centre of Freedom (SCF) has called on the Malaysian government to halt its dirty bidding on behalf of the growingly repressive Turkish government led by President Recep Erdogan, following the arrest and deportation of three Turkish nationals from Kuala Lumpur.

The tragic end of the witch hunt

Several claims and accusations have been voiced, and the Hizmet movement has been described as a gang and a “parallel structure,” Are these accusations based on concrete evidence? No. Fabricated news published by pro-government media outlets, unfounded accusations and slanderous claims that are legally null and void have been refuted one by one. However, the pro-government media does not care about this, since they do not care in the least about rights or the rule of law.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen: ISIL Actions Contradict Quran

Damage assessment report for Erdoğan

UK acknowledges being a Gülen sympathizer in Turkey may be grounds for asylum

1,500 pounds of frozen meat for needy Staten Island families

Gulistan schools in Kosovo to continue education despite its abducted teachers

LDP leader says received ‘indecent proposal’ from pro-gov’t paper

Science Fair at PakTurk school

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News