Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (2)

Emre Uslu
Emre Uslu


Date posted: January 6, 2012

At that time, I knew only a few journalists who claimed Şık’s arrest was not because of his book but because of inconsistencies in the story he had told the judge. He claimed not to know any such people, but there was evidence he may have known and had relationships with Ergenekon suspects.

Emre Uslu, Friday 30 December 2011***

One should admit that the pro-Ergenekon network worked very hard to build support in Western capitals. Now there are many people in the West who think that the Ergenekon trial has imprisoned anti-Justice and Development Party (AK Party) individuals not because of their guilt, but because of their opposition to the AK Party government.

Within Turkey’s ultranationalist camps, supporters of the Kemalist system have already extended their support to the Ergenekon network. So there is a sizable community in Turkey that believes whatever is said by a suspect in the Ergenekon case.

Journalist Ahmet Şık’s arrest was further exaggerated because — critics of the Odatv trial allege — he was writing a book against the Gülen movements’ influence on the police force and had been arrested to prevent his book from being published. Many intellectuals really believed this campaign when the prosecutors, searching for the many draft copies of the book distributed among different people, found one at Odatv. Other copies were found in possession of people who, according to an earlier testimony from Şık, had not been given any copies.

Banning the publication of a book expectedly created reactions and false impressions of Şık’s prosecution, as if Ahmet Şık had been arrested because of writing this book. At that time, I knew only a few journalists who claimed Şık’s arrest was not because of his book but because of inconsistencies in the story he had told the judge. He claimed not to know any such people, but there was evidence he may have known and had relationships with Ergenekon suspects.

The pro-Ergenekon network found a window of opportunity in the argument that Ahmet Şık had been arrested because of his book and successfully internationalized this argument. Ahmet Şık’s book has become a symbol of attempts to prove the Ergenekon trials are nothing but a trial to put Justice and Development Party (AK Party) opposition behind bars, as if his book would reveal the dirty laundry of the AKP, the Gülen movement and the police. In fact, there is nothing new in the book that has not previously been discussed by other authors. Thus, Ahmet Şık’s book was leaked to the Internet and millions of copies have been downloaded.

A few months ago, the book was published and is on shelves now, but there is not even a single case against the book. I think those who howled that Ahmet Şık was arrested because of his book need to explain, especially to their Western audiences, why, if it was about the book Mr. Şık had been arrested, the publisher has not been put behind bars. Forget about the publisher being charged — why don’t you share with your Western audiences some of the secrets you claimed the book would reveal.

One cannot explain why the publisher hasn’t faced any criminal charges. It is on shelves and in fact is a bestseller due to the unofficial PR campaign conducted by those who claimed the book was the reason for Şık’s arrest. Simply, the pro-Egenekon camp used the book as a means to spread their ideas and deceive their audiences in the West. This is yet another simple fact that Western audiences should be aware of regarding pro-Ergenekon campaigns.

Source: Today’s Zaman http://www.todayszaman.com/columnist-267027-ahmet-siks-book-and-ergenekons-media-campaign.html

*** Emre Uslu’s first article was published originally with the title “Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (1)” and then was updated without any number in the title but with some addition. We are publishing here the addition as “Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (2)”.


Related News

Exiled Turks Fleeing Erdogan Find New Lives in Greece

Turks who fled the wrath of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan after a failed coup against him in July, 2016 have landed in Greece seeking asylum and integrating themselves into society as many are educated professionals, unlike many refugees and migrants finding themselves locked in detention centers and camps.

Minister Yildirim’s high praise for Fethullah Gulen

Minister of Transportation, Maritime and Communication, Binali Yildirim, spoke at the Turkish Language Olympiads Cultural Festival participated by two thousand students from 140 countries, at Kulturpark in Izmir. In his remarks, Yildirim said: “Izmir is the city of tolerance, tourism and maritime, compared to a queen in Victor Hugo’s diaries. You’ve added to its beauty. […]

27th Abant Final Declaration on Democratization of Turkey

Democratization 1- Turkey’s culture is at present characterized by a susceptibility to in-group / out-group tension, the effects of which impede democratization. Authoritarianism and patriarchal hierarchy are aspects of group culture that are reflected at the family level and scaled up to the political level as majoritarian democracy and internally undemocratic institutions. Two basic institutions […]

Turkish editor hits out at media coercion under Erdoğan

Segments of the Turkish media remain fiercely anti-government, however, including secularist dailies Sözcü and Cumhuriyet, and more recently Zaman and Bugün, which are close to Gülen and have become more critical since the graft scandal erupted.

Kimse Yok Mu hosts international experts for social media benefits conference

The Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anyone There?) Foundation hosted an international conference titled “Social Media for Good” in Istanbul on Friday, drawing a wide range of international experts in journalism and social media to discuss ways of making positive contributions via the Internet.

Monitoring group documents 53 suspicious deaths since coup attempt

The Sweden-based monitoring group documented in a recent report 53 cases of what it described suspicious deaths both in and outside of Turkish prisons after the coup attempt.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Teacher detained in Turkey after forced return from Myanmar

Turkish Schools in Afghanistan organized the eighth annual science competition

Fethullah Gulen’s Message on the Anniversary of the Coup Attempt in Turkey

Libyan minister would like to see Turkish teachers, schools in his country

A reality check on [Turkey coup attempt] from America’s spy chief

Erdogan is transforming Turkey into a totalitarian prison

Canadian Globe Editorial- It just gets worse in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News