Doğan: Gülen stood against anti-cemevi campaigns

Cem Foundation President Izzettin Dogan
Cem Foundation President Izzettin Dogan


Date posted: April 17, 2011

FATİH VURAL, İSTANBUL

In thankful remarks to well-respected Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Cem Foundation President İzzettin Doğan has said that Gülen supported the construction of cemevis (Alevi houses of worship) when signature campaigns were launched against the cemevis in some regions of Turkey.

Doğan was speaking during a panel discussion on Saturday at İstanbul’s Aydın University. Stating that nearly 2,000 cemevis have been built in Turkey in the past 50 years, he said that signature campaigns were launched to prevent their construction in the early 2000s. Noting that there were places where more than 50,000 signatures were collected, he said an interview with Gülen featured in an American daily played a positive role in slowing down these campaigns. In the interview, Gülen said cemevis should be built next to mosques and that failing to build cemevis for Alevis (Alevites) was unjust. Doğan said he witnessed that “such negative moves decreased following the interview.”

Gülen is a Turkish Islamic scholar well known for his teachings that promote mutual understanding and tolerance between cultures. One of the world’s most influential Islamic scholars, Gülen came out at the top of the list of “The World’s Top 20 Public Intellectuals” by the magazines Foreign Policy and Prospect in 2008. Now residing in the US, Gülen has pioneered educational activities in a number of countries along with efforts to promote intercultural and interfaith activities around the world.

The Alevi community is thought to have between 6 and 12 million adherents in Turkey, which has a population of more than 70 million. Alevis demand that cemevis be officially recognized by the state.

Doğan regrets that no solution has been found for problems faced by Alevis, although politicians have been discussing these issues for years. “I have explained to all political parties that there may be a Sunni-Alevi clash in Turkey, which would put the country in a difficult situation. They all agreed on that, but I failed to bring them together in Parliament to pass a law [to meet Alevi demands],” he said.

He also commented on the new version of a religious course book that includes information about Alevism. He recalled that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had promised that some shortcomings in these books would soon be resolved.

The government launched an Alevi initiative last year in an effort to address problems faced by Alevis. The government’s initiative consisted of seven workshops in six months, along with the participation of 400 academics, theologians, members of civil society groups, politicians, journalists and Alevi and Bektaşi representatives. The revision of the religious course books was also among the steps taken as part of the initiative.

Source: Today's Zaman , 11 April 2011, Monday


Related News

Saudi Scholar al-Qarni: Gulen serves with wisdom

One of the most celebrated scholars of Saudi Arabia and the Arab world at large, Sheikh Aaidh al-Qarni delivered sermons on “Tabi’in” (a referral to the people who lived in an age right after the Prophet Muhammad’s companions’ generation) at several salatin mosques (mosques built by Ottoman sultans) in Istanbul, on June 1 thru 9. […]

Kimse Yok Mu and UN launch relief project for Syrian refugees

UN funded 3,5 million Turkish Liras (around 1,75 million USD) to the project while KYM will organize the delivery of the money to the bank accounts of 17000 Syrian refugees in amount of TL 100 throughout January and February.
Speaking about their commonly organized project with UNHCR, Head of KYM’s İstanbul office Celal Türkoğlu stated that they are frequently in touch with the UN while KYM is accredited to the UN’s Economic and Social Council.

Erdoğan prepares for a bloodbath

Erdoğan’s ruling party has also begun issuing weapons permits to loyalists, especially through the Ottoman Youth Authority (Osmanli Ocaklari). I have previously reported Erdoğan’s appointment of former general Adnan Tanriverdi, the head of SADAT, to be his military counsel. Tanriverdi had been dismissed by the Turkish General Staff during the 1997 soft coup and appears bent on revenge against the secular order.

Doğan: Gülen stood against anti-cemevi campaigns

Cem Foundation President İzzettin Doğan has said that Gülen supported the construction of cemevis (Alevi houses of worship) when signature campaigns were launched against the cemevis in some regions of Turkey.

Turkish parents worried about gov’t plan to shut down study centers

Working parents are extremely concerned with a planned move from the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government to shut down study centers, where children can spend time after school doing their homework with the assistance of educational professionals, as part of a law that will see private prep schools that help students in preparing for high-school and university tests close.

Dozens detained in gov’t witch-hunt against Gülen movement

As part of an escalating witch-hunt against groups affiliated with the Gülen movement, the police have arbitrarily detained dozens of people across the country, including human rights defenders and philanthropists, using bullying tactics and unlawfully cuffing law-abiding citizens.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

AKP deputy calls on Turkey’s religious officials to declare Gülen followers apostates

UN-affiliated aid organization becomes new witch hunt target

People happy in town Kimse Yok Mu helped build

Return to Turkey or lose citizenship, gov’t tells Gülen followers

Explained the secret: Gulen gave it as a gift

Bittersweet joy for teachers amid prep schools conflict in Turkey

Gülen’s lawyer denies allegation of plot against Erdoğan’s daughter, calls it ’immoral slander’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News