Romanian Judge Blocks Extradition of Second Arrested ‘Gulenist’


Date posted: December 26, 2019

Marcel Gascón Barberá

A Romanian judge has blocked the extradition to Turkey of a Turkish schools director linked to the man accused by Ankara of orchestrating a failed 2016 coup, hours after the director was arrested on Tuesday.

Fatih Gursoy, 50, is the director of a network of schools in Romania called Lumina and which is linked to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based cleric accused by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of trying to overthrow him in July 2016. 

The failed putsch unleashed a wide-ranging crackdown in Turkey and a global hunt for so-called Gulenists by the long arm of Turkish law.

“The most important charge against me was that I am the leader of a terrorist organisation in Romania,” Gursoy said after the judge’s ruling. 

“If anyone can come and prove that in these 25 years of academic activity we have damaged the interests of Romania, Turkey or any other state, I am ready to close the institution myself.”

Lumina had earlier issued a statement accusing Ankara of pursuing a “witch-hunt”.

Gursoy’s arrest followed that of a 24-year-old teacher at a Bucharest high school belonging to the Gulen movement. Within hours of the December 18 arrest, a judge ruled against her extradition and she was freed.

Gulen denies any involvement in the coup attempt, but Turkish authorities have pursued his schools and their employees across the Balkans and beyond. 

In Turkey, roughly 150,000 civil servants, soldiers, police officers, teachers, judges and academics have been fired or suspended, while tens of thousands more have been jailed pending trial.

Source: Balkan Insight , December 24, 2019


Related News

EU, US Have Little Leverage as Turkish Democracy Backslides

“In the big picture, Erdogan knows that the EU needs Turkey and will come back begging for a new agreement on the migrants. That’s why he will play a game of brinksmanship,” said Soner Cagaptay, the director of the Turkish program at The Washington Institute.

Nigerien Deputy Ministers examine Turkish Education System

Four Nigerien deputy ministers who are impressed by the Turkish schools operating in their country have come to Turkey to examine Turkish education system on site. The delegation consisted of General Manager of Primary Education Yahamadou Tehamago Ali, Higher Education General Manager Ali Habu, Secondary Education General Manager Zahari Hima Barkire, Private Educational Institutions General […]

Why Gulen-sympathizers with their babies risk death to flee Erdogan regime

There is a reason why Turks risk death to flee with their babies. It’s not that they are looking for a better life. They are fleeing torture and life imprisonment.

2,500 schools confiscated, 30,000 teachers dismissed over Gülen links

Turkish Education Ministry Undersecretary Yusuf Tekin on Sunday said they have completed a purge of Gülen movement members and institutions in his ministry, the DHA news agency reported.

Fethullah Gulen’s brother detained in Erdogan’s ongoing crackdown after coup

One of the brothers of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Kutbettin, has been detained in the western province of İzmir. More than 100,000 people have been purged from state bodies, 32,000 arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees include journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, academics, governors and even a comedian.

Turkic American Alliance calls on Davutoğlu to prove letter of complaint claims

The Turkic American Alliance (TAA) has called on Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu to provide evidence substantiating his recent claims that individuals affiliated with Turkish schools abroad sent letters of complaint to foreign officials about Turkey.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu receives a letter of appreciation from Uganda’s Office of the PM

Pro-gov’t circles intensify hypocritical propaganda targeting Gülen movement

Brazilian senator impressed by Hizmet investments in education

Turkey as a “serial” human rights derogator

Aid organization head blasts terror probe

Gulen Movement’s Global Appeal: Reflections from Chicago

Turkish Cultural Night in Philippines

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News