Kyrgyzstan Rebuffs Turkish Takeover of Gulen Schools


Date posted: September 17, 2018

Kyrgyz officials tell Ankara’s ambassador not to meddle and deny reports Gulen followers may soon be deported.

Turkey’s attempt to have 13 suspected followers of the U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen deported from Kyrgyzstan is meeting opposition in Bishkek.

During Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s visit to Kyrgyzstan in early September, the Turkish delegation handed Kyrgyz authorities a list of 130 suspected Gulen followers and demanded the extradition of 13 people, the Turkish daily Hurriyet reported.

Ankara accuses Gulen followers of fomenting the failed 2016 coup attempt in Turkey. Gulen-affiliated groups run hundreds of private schools in more than 100 countries, offering a curriculum heavy on science and technology mixed with Turkish studies. Erdogan’s AKP party, once on friendly terms with Gulen, accuses him of running a “dark state” aimed at seizing control of Turkey.

Media reports about the supposed transfer of the 130 people on the list to Turkey are not true, local news site 24.kg cites the head of the Foreign Ministry’s information department, Muratbek Azymbakiyev, as saying.

Azymbakiyev also denied Turkish Ambassador Cengiz Kamil Firat’s statement that a Turkish government foundation would be taking over several schools previously run by a Gulen-affiliated group, Eurasianet.org reports.

Kyrgyz authorities “rebranded” the schools in 2016 under Turkish pressure after the coup attempt, Eurasianet writes, adding that these Sapat schools, as they are now known, are among the best in the country.

The Foreign Ministry told Firat Tuesday that “at present all Sapat schools function in the territory of the Kyrgyz Republic in full compliance with the current legislation of the republic” and that their transfer to the Turkish Maarif Foundation “is out of [the] question,” 24.kg quotes Azymbakiyev as saying.

Under Erdogan, who since his re-election in June wields expanded powers acquired through a referendum last year, Turkey has used its political and economic sway to close down many Gulen schools located abroad and to have his followers deported to Turkey.

Turkey has brought home more than 100 Gulenist “traitors” since the failed coup, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told CNN’s Turkish channel in July, Turkey’s state-run Anadolu Agency reported. According to Anadolu, Gulen and his organization “orchestrated” the attempt to overthrow Erdogan’s government, in which some 250 people died and more than 2,000 were injured.

  • Ankara’s anti-Gulen campaign began well before the coup attempt. Close ally Azerbaijan began evicting Gulenists from schools in 2014, Eurasianet notes. Turkmenistan has also taken action against Gulenists.
  • Moldova deported the director and six staff members of a Gulenist school to Turkey on 6 September. Unconfirmed news reports said Moldova’s security service cooperated with Turkey’s National Intelligence Directorate in the operation, Turkish pro-government Daily Sabah reported.
  • A similar raid on Gulenist educators in Kosovo last March brought an angry reaction from Kosovo’s leadership. Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj reportedly said the six Turkish nationals “were not deported, they were stolen,” and President Hashim Thaci fired the interior minister and intelligence chief over the issue, Haaretz writes.
  • According to an  Anadolu report referenced by the Stockholm Center for Freedom, the Maarif Foundation has taken over 76 schools affiliated with the Gulen movement in Africa and has recently opened 32 new schools in 11 countries from the United States to Afghanistan.

Compiled by Ky Krauthamer

Source: Transitions Online , September 13, 2018


Related News

Police raid Gülen-inspired Samanyolu schools in Ankara

In yet another government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement, more than 60 police officers carried out raids on four different branches of the private Samanyolu schools in Ankara early on Monday.

Detained Gülen school director to ask for asylum to avoid extradition

A detained Gülen school official is asking for asylum in Georgia in order to avoid extradition to Turkey, where he may face brutal and inhumane treatment, according to his lawyers. Georgia detained Mustafa Emre Cabuk in May. He is one of the managers of Demirel private schoool in Tbilisi.

Pak-Turk schools replace Turkish principals with Pakistanis

A source privy to the developments told that the Turkish nationals holding managerial designations will now serve as teachers in Pak-Turk schools. Reportedly, a new six-member BoD with complete local representation had been formed to run the affairs of the school.

Foreign students express bewilderment over gov’t bid to close Turkish schools

Foreign students who are graduates of schools opened by Turkish entrepreneurs affiliated with the Hizmet movement all around the world, have expressed bewilderment over the government’s plan to shut down the schools, saying that the Turkish government is making a grave mistake in targeting these schools as they are renowned and praised for their high-quality education by foreigners.

Fate of preparatory courses

Zaman’s Hüseyin Gülerce denied allegations that there is tension between the government and Hizmet movement due to government’s steps to bring an end to these preparatory courses, saying that Hizmet does not own all preparatory course schools in the country. What bothers members of Hizmet is that the government has not given a clear or reasonable explanation as to why they are taking these steps, Gülerce said.

Turkish family, kidnapped in Pakistan, deported to Turkey Saturday morning

Ex-director of a Turkish schools in Pakistan, Mesut Kaçmaz, and his family have allegedly been deported to Turkey days after they were abducted from their apartment in Lahore, according to the friends of the family.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan’s stance on Turkish Schools turns to hatred after corruption probes

Turkish ruling party’s targeting of the Gülen movement constitutes a crime against humanity

AKP deputy: “Imprisoned Gulen supporters and PKK members will be massacred by furious mobs”

Truth and reconciliation in post-Erdoğan era

World renowned NGO-rating Global Geneva stands by Kimse Yok Mu

Nigeria Turkish College to Host Language, Culture Festival

Kimse Yok Mu working to resolve water problem in Africa

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News