Sudan arrests Gülen-linked businessman at Turkey’s request


Date posted: September 9, 2017

Sudanese law enforcement detained Turkish businessman Memduh Çıkmaz at Ankara’s request as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement.

Çıkmaz was detained in the capital city of Khartoum on Wednesday and denied request to meet his lawyer and family members, according to Turkish media.

Once awarded by former President Abdullah Gul as the third highest tax payer in the central Anatolian province of Corum, Çıkmaz has been under investigation over his ties to the Gulen movement, which the government accuses of masterminding the July 15, 2016 coup attempt.

The group denies involvement in the abortive coup.

According to media, Turkey submitted the translation of a 500-page indictment to Sudan seeking Çıkmaz’s deportation.

Family members are concerned over Çıkmaz’s medical condition as he must not eat fast food, meat and similar other foods as part of his dietary prescribed due to a protein-related disease, media said.

The family also urged international rights groups to call on Sudan not to deport Cikmaz back to Turkey where he face arrest and potential torture.

Turkey has already detained more than 120,000 people over their alleged or real ties to the movement at home before spreading its crackdown to overseas. More than a dozen Turkish nationals with links to the movement were deported from several countries to Turkey where most of them have been held in in pre-trial detention since.

A number of human rights organizations including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch issued statements in recent times, urging foreign governments to avoid extradition to Turkey.

Source: Turkey Purge , September 8, 2017


Related News

Yet another woman faces detention at hospital immediately after giving birth

Police are waiting outside a room in Ankara Memorial Hospital to detain Feyza Yazıcı, who gave birth to a premature baby on Friday, as part of the Turkish government’s witch-hunt against the Gülen movement.

Gülen: Democracy dealt yet another blow in Egypt

Well-respected Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said democracy was once again dealt a blow in Egypt as he commented on the ouster of Mohammed Morsi in a military coup last week. Gülen also warned that some circles would be making plans to see what happened in Egypt happen in other countries too.

For Turkish exiles in New Hampshire: No way back

A Turkish family of four has settled in New Hampshire, fleeing a crackdown in their homeland that has led to the arrests of thousands of civil servants. They can’t go home but they can’t stay here forever; the tourist visas that brought them here will expire. So they wait, and they worry.

Islamabad High Court: No plan to close Pak-Turk schools

The government is not going to shut down Pak-Turk schools nor it has received any request from the Turkish government for the transfer of its management to any third party. This was stated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in written comments submitted to the Islamabad High Court (IHC) in response to a petition filed by the management of the Pak-Turk schools.

Lawyer of arrested officers detained for Gülen movement propaganda

Lawyer Kemal Uçar, known for his critical statements concerning July 15, 2016 coup attempt cases, has been detained as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement, Milliyet daily reported. Uçar used to share messages on social media that the ByLock mobile phone app cannot be used as evidence to arrest people. Uçar said on a TV program that 52 of 58 casings found in Taksim on the coup night were not fired by soldiers according to an official report.

TUSKON challenges Erdoğan to enter business, defies threats

In the strongest civil society reaction yet to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s month-long offensive tone and threats against Turkey’s largest Islamic group, the Hizmet movement, a leading business confederation affiliated with Hizmet on Saturday called on Erdoğan to quit politics and join the business world to make money.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Afghan minister: Afghanistan will continue to support Turkish schools

GYV urges government to accelerate reforms in favor of media freedoms

Who speaks for Islam in Turkey?

Lawyer of raided schools: Terror groups do not open schools, they raid them

Pro-gov’t daily repeats Bharara controlled by Gülen movement, calls him ‘stupid’

Fighting poverty, ignorance and disunity in Ghana; the TUDEC experience

Understanding the Hizmet Movement in Nigeria

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News