Principal of Gülen-linked school, businessman abducted in Malaysia


Date posted: May 4, 2017

Turgay Karaman, the principal of Time International School in Ipoh, Malaysia, and Turkish businessman İhsan Aslan, were abducted by unidentified persons in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday.

According to a report submitted by Karaman’s lawyer to the Kuala Lumpur police on Tuesday, Karaman was abducted by five men while he was going to his car in the parking of his apartment.

“These five men forced Mr. Turgay to get into one of their cars, a Nissan Almera, license plate number WQE 8216. The other car [used in the abduction and which followed the first car] is a Proton Gen-2 with plate number BFD 6198,” Karaman’s friend, who submitted the report to the police, wrote.

After Karaman failed to attend a meeting with the friend and a lawyer, the two went to his apartment as they were worried he might have been abducted since two other Turks who were sympathizers of the Gülen movement, which Turkish authorities accuse of being behind a failed coup last summer, were abducted by Turkish intelligence in Malaysia after the putsch.

Upon checking CCTV footage of the parking where his car was left, Karaman’s friends found that he was forced into a car by five unidentified men and taken to an unknown place.

“I request that the police investigate the kidnapping and notify the Immigration Department to stop any attempt to remove Mr. Turgay from Malaysia… I fear for my safety and am worried that this will happen to me and my other Turkish friends,” Karaman’s friend said, according to the report.

Meanwhile, Aslan, a Turkish businessman and a sympathizer of the Gülen movement, was also reportedly abducted on Tuesday, his friends told Turkish Minute. A police report on his abduction is being drafted.

In October of last year, two Turkish citizens were extradited by Malaysian authorities upon a request from their Turkish counterparts as part of the latter’s clampdown against the movement after they were abducted by Turkish intelligence officers in Malaysia.

The Turkish Embassy is reported to have asked Malaysian authorities to close down Gülen-linked schools in the Asian country as in many other countries in late September. The Turkish ambassador reportedly asked authorities to take legal action against sympathizers of the Gülen movement as well.

Turkish government accuses the movement of masterminding the July 15 coup attempt, although the movement denies any involvement.

The movement is known for its education and aid activities in over 170 countries, but Turkish Foreign Ministry bureaucrats have been trying to expand domestic pressure to overseas subsidiaries of the movement in the recent past.

Source: Turkish Minute , May 2, 2017


Related News

Fears grow Turks held in Malaysia may face unfair trial or torture at home

Two Turkish men have been arrested in Malaysia, raising fears they might by forcibly returned to Turkey, where a rights group warned they could face unfair trial and torture.

Turkish imam in Australia mobilizes worshippers to spy on Gülen movement

Salih Arslan, a member of the board of the Ankara-funded Süleymaniye mosque in the Australian city of Perth, was revealed to have incited worshippers to spy on followers of the Gülen movement and affiliated institutions, including schools.

Canadian Globe Editorial- It just gets worse in Turkey

We can reasonably hope that there won’t be any large-scale bloody purges, Stalin-style. But Turkey is likely to grow further away from Europe. The convenient travel visas to the rest of Europe, which many Turks have hoped for, may be a long time away.

Turkish authorities deny release to critically ill cancer patient arrested on Gülen links

Yusuf Özmen, who was arrested in March to serve a sentence on a Gülen-linked conviction despite having stage 4 cancer, remains in prison despite a medical report saying he is almost totally disabled.

Source claims US not probing into Gulenists’ alleged role in Russian ambassador’s murder

No investigation has been launched in the United States in connection with Turkey’s comments of the Gulen movement’s possible role in the Russian ambassador’s murder, a senior US Department of State official told TASS.

Belgium firm to sue Turkey over Gülen-linked assets

A Belgian company, Cascade Investments NV, has launched an $80 million arbitration claim against Turkey in the World Bank’s International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ISCID).

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Malaysia also to blame for Turk’s torture, say rights groups

Kimse Yok Mu to attend Global Consultation ahead of World Humanitarian Summit

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement of Condemnation on the Bombing in Manchester, UK

PKK’s venomous mouthpiece targets US, Gülen

Fethullah Gulen Condemns Terrorist Attack in Nairobi, Kenya

Turks are not cows

PM Erdoğan once defended Hizmet, said it was Feb. 28 [military coup] victim

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News