US prosecutor denies any links to Gülen, says never set foot in Turkey


Date posted: October 1, 2016

Responding to allegations from Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who accused US Attorney for the Southern District of New York Preet Bharara of being a sympathizer of the faith-based Gülen movement, Bharara said he has just learned Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s name from Google and has never been to Turkey.

Bharara has been under attack from the government and pro-government circles in Turkey due to his indictment of Reza Zarrab, a dual Turkish-Iranian citizen who was arrested in Miami in March. He was charged with helping Iran process millions of dollars in transactions that violated US sanctions against Tehran in effect at the time.

While returning from a visit to the US last week, Erdoğan claimed that Bharara and US Judge Richard Berman, who is hearing the Zarrab trial, were entertained by members of the Gülen movement in Turkey. Erdoğan claims Zarrab is innocent.

Bharara responded to Erdoğan’s assertion in a speech delivered at the anniversary of the foundation of City & State New York magazine in New York on Tuesday.

The prosecutor said until the day he was claimed to be a Gülen sympathizer, he had never even heard Gülen’s name, who inspired the movement, and searched for it on Google.

Bharara also said although Turkish President Erdoğan accused him of mingling with Gülen sympathizers in Turkey, he has never been to Turkey.

In court papers Bharara’s office included references to a 2013 corruption investigation in Turkey that targeted Zarrab, Cabinet ministers and members of Erdoğan’s family. The probe was subsequently dropped.

The Turkish government and Erdoğan accuse the Gülen movement of masterminding 2013’s corruption investigation and a failed coup attempt in July although the movement strongly denies any involvement in either.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 30, 2016


Related News

Fethullah Gülen issued the following statement on Turkey’s extradition request

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan today once again demonstrated he will go to any length necessary to solidify his power and persecute his critics. It is ridiculous, irresponsible and false to suggest I had anything to do with the horrific failed coup. I urge the US government to reject any effort to abuse the extradition process to carry out political vendettas.

Pro-Erdoğan journalist: Gülen followers should be kept in detention camps, given food tickets

Cemil Barlas, a staunch supporter of Tayyip Erdoğan and commentator for the pro-government A Haber TV, said during a program that followers of the Gülen movement, which the government accuses of being behind a failed coup on July 15, must be kept in detention camps and should be given food tickets.

First Documentary on the Hizmet Movement

By Tasmin Mahfuz At the SVA theatre in New York City, the Peace Islands Institute sponsored an exclusive screening of the award-winning documentary, “Love is a Verb.” Director Terry Spencer Hesser started the film three years ago when she was working on a travel series for PBS. The film takes viewers on a journey to […]

Rhode Island’s latest refugees flee Turkey’s repressive regime

A new community of Turkish immigrants has taken root in Rhode Island. And its leading members, some of them refugees seeking political asylum in the United States, are spreading a message of tolerance and diversity through their work at Dialogue Foundation, a new organization with a headquarters near Wayland Square.

“There will be no Turkish Olympiad,” says Erdoğan

Bülent Arınç, a deputy prime minister in the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government, is the “good cop” who takes the stage when there is a need for reconciliation.

Gulen’s interview with Russian media: I don’t worry about Turkey’s extradition request

Gülen : I don’t worry about Turkey’s extradition request. I live my last days anyway and it doesn’t matter if I die here, in Turkey, or somewhere else. Never have I had anything to pursue other than doing everything in my power to succeed in the next world and to receive the contentment of the Almighty.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

International Conference on Hizmet Movement in Taiwan

Turkish schools boost Turkey-Brazil ties

Hizmet movement demonized by Erdogan regime but loved abroad

Roundhouse Roundup: A Turkish Friendship Dinner

Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gulen Condemns Brussels Terrorist Attacks

Understanding Fethullah Gülen (1)

Wife of ‘Gülen school manager’ detained in Tbilisi asks for protection

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News