Post-coup Turkey sliding into terror regime: Nobel laureate Orhan Pamuk


Date posted: September 12, 2016

Prominent Turkish novelist and recipient of the 2006 Nobel Prize in literature, Orhan Pamuk, has criticized the government’s large-scale crackdown in the aftermath of the failed July 15 coup, warning that Turkey is heading toward “a regime of terror.”

“In Turkey, we are dramatically putting behind bars all those who struggle for freedom of expression, and criticize the government even slightly,” Pamuk said on Sunday.

The 64-year-old author argued that the ongoing heavy-handed crackdown is being driven by “the most ferocious hatred,” adding, “Freedom of thought no longer exists. We are distancing ourselves at high speed from a state of law and heading towards a regime of terror.”

 

Pamuk, who is known to be a vocal critic of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, also called for the immediate release of all detained intellectuals and their fair trial as free individuals.

Pamuk’s remarks came a day after Turkish police forces arrested well-known journalist, Ahmet Altan, and his brother, Mehmet Altan, as part of an investigation into those suspected of affiliation to the network of US-based cleric, Fethullah Gulem, who Ankara accuses of having masterminded the botched putsch.

Ahmet was a columnist with major Turkish-language Hurriyet and Milliyet newspapers before he founded the liberal and opposition daily Taraf in November 2007.

He stepped down as Taraf editor in chief in 2012, and has written several novels. Taraf was closed under a statutory decree due to its alleged links with the Gulen movement.

Mehmet Altan, a renowned academic and economist, is the author of several books on politics in Turkey.

The Hurriyet newspaper reported that Altan brothers were being investigated over comments in a talk show broadcast on Can Erzincan TV, a station known for its critical stance against the government, on the eve of the failed coup. The newspaper did not provide any information about the content of the talk show.

A faction of the Turkish military declared itself in charge of the country on the night of July 15. Renegade military personnel made use of battle tanks and helicopters to fight loyalists to the incumbent government in Ankara and Istanbul.

The coup attempt was suppressed as people turned out on the streets to support Erdogan and his ruling Justice and Development Party.

At least 246 people were killed and more than 2,100 others sustained injuries in the coup attempt.

Gulen has condemned the coup attempt and denied any involvement in the violence.

Turkey’s resigned interior minister, Efkan Ala, said last month that the number of individuals detained for questioning or arrested in the aftermath of the failed coup is nearly 100,000. By far, the largest number of dismissals from government jobs has been in education sector.

Ala also announced that Turkey looks to hiring 20,000 additional armed services personnel to replace those removed.

Source: PressTV , September 11, 2016


Related News

The Battle For Turkey’s Soul

It is ironic and tragic that at a time when the world is in dire need of a liberal-moderate Islamic movement in its fight against Wahhabi-Salafi inspired global Islamic terrorism, the Erdogan regime is bent upon destroying the Gulen movement by labelling it as “terrorist”.

US high school students visit Turkey, give glowing reviews

A group of American students who came to İstanbul in a cultural exchange program have told Today’s Zaman that their warm reception in Turkey has caused them to view the country extremely positively.

Terrorism charges against Karaca do not make sense, CHP leader says

The leader of the main opposition party has implied that the recent arrest of Hidayet Karaca, the general manager of the Samanyolu Broadcasting Group (STV), on charges of heading a terrorist organization does not make sense as there is no solid evidence against the suspect.

Pro-gov’t media continues smear campaign against Hizmet movement

In order to defame the Hizmet movement, A Haber — a member of the government-designed “pool media,” created through funds raised by various businessmen to protect the government’s interests — has described a Felicity Party (SP) election campaign conducted by women in the province of Hatay as “black propaganda” against the Justice and Development Party (AK Party).

The Persecution of the Hizmet (Gülen) Movement in Turkey: A Chronicle

Since the outbreak of the corruption scandal in Turkey in December 2013, Prime Minister and then President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his government have been particularly targeting the Hizmet (Gülen) movement.

Erdoğan gov’t threatened to ‘wipe TUSKON off market map,’ says chairman

One of Turkey’s most influential business confederations, the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON), was threatened with being “wiped off the market” by the government after TUSKON made critical statements about government policies, chairman Rızanur Meral told the media on Friday.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Love is A Verb – forthcoming documentary on the Gülen Movement

Turkish and Kurdish women meet to discuss media and peace in Sulaimaniya, Iraq

‘Humiliating people not allowed in Islam’

9-year-old Turkish girl drowns while trying to cross Evros River

Education minister in Jamaica joins Kimse Yok Mu to feed needy

Civic engagement, success and the Gülen movement

Van NGOs: Calling Hizmet movement ‘virus’ and ‘hashhashin’ unnaceptable

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News