Nigerian Turkish schools denies links to Turkey coup


Date posted: July 30, 2016

The management of the Nigerian-Turkish International Colleges (NTIC) says the government of Turkey is insulting Nigeria by requesting the closure of its schools in the country.

Speaking on Wednesday during a meeting with Shehu Sani, vice-chairman of the senate committee on foreign affairs, Hakan Cakil, the Turkish ambassador to Nigeria, had asked the government to shut down the 17 Turkish schools in the country.

He said that the owners of the schools were members of the Fethullah Gulen movement, which allegedly plotted the botched July 15 coup in Turkey.

He also alleged that the owners of the schools used proceeds from their investment in Nigeria for criminal activities.

But in a statement on Friday, Orhan Kertim, managing director of the schools, described the request of the Turkish government as baseless and unfounded, saying that although the NTIC schools in Nigeria are Turkish in name, they are actually Nigerian in deeds.

“The NTIC is not a Turkish government-run institution, but a privately funded institution by a group of Turkish investors,” he said.

“As a responsible organisation operating in Nigeria since 1998, we are conversant with the laws of the land and we have to the best of our ability abided by these stipulations.

“The call therefore by the Turkish ambassador is not only baseless, but it is also unfounded and of poor taste.

“Nigeria is a sovereign country and call by the Turkish ambassador is not only an affront on the sovereignty of the Nigerian nation, but a display of crass ignorance.

“The NTIC schools in Nigeria are Turkish in name, but Nigerian in deeds. We are partners in progress as evident in all our activities since 1998.”

Source: Naija 257 News , July 30, 2016


Related News

One wounded in armed attack on university preparation course

22 April 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM A private institution that offers weekend and evening courses to assist students in preparing for national exams, was attacked by an unidentified person with a Kalashnikov rifle in the southeastern province of Şırnak on Saturday, leaving a security guard wounded. The attack took place at Şırnak’s FEM Dershanesi around 10 p.m., […]

A Letter To The Free World | Hidayet Karaca

Hidayet Karaca, an executive with a leading Turkish TV network, has been in prison since 14 December last year on charges of leading a terrorist group.

Egypt’s Turkish schools reject Akşam and A Haber TV reports

The administration of the Turkish Salahaldin International Schools based in Egypt has sent a correction to the Akşam daily and A Haber TV station, stating that two recent reports about Turkish schools in Egypt appearing in the pro-government media outlets were baseless and false.

Woman gave birth while in detention, handcuffed to bed by police

A Turkish woman who was arrested when she was eight months pregnant has recently been released after giving birth while incarcerated. Turkeypurge.com reached out to the victim, who spoke about her experiences under arrest. She preferred not to reveal her identity due to concerns over Turkey’s socio-political environment.

‘Portraying Hizmet against settlement process groundless’

In an interview with the Zaman daily last week, GYV vice president Cemal Uşak categorically denied the aspersions that have been cast on the Hizmet movement on social media for a couple of years and in conventional media for the last three months that claim that the Hizmet movement has been against the settlement process.

Russia selects finalists for 12th Turkish Olympiad

The elimination round of the Turkish Olympiad in Russia has been held in a prestigious concert hall where around 300 students showed their skills in the categories of poem recitation, singing, reading and writing.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Hizmet’s role in global peace, interfaith dialogue highlighted in African conference

Turkish Cultural Center opens in New Hampshire

Men accused of attempting to rape 6 teachers: We thought they were Gulenists

Gülen and the AK Party: A common quest for democracy or something more? (1)

Unlawful accreditation ban against Today’s Zaman reporter ends

US law professor: Gülen extradition would be unlawful

Kimse Yok Mu medical volunteers in the Philippines

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News