Islamic scholar Gülen offers condolences for those killed in Dağlıca attack

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: September 8, 2015

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has offered his deep condolences to the families of the soldiers killed in a terrorist attack in Dağlıca in Hakkari province on Sunday, while expressing his belief that the people of Turkey will defeat terrorism by maintaining their solidarity.

“I wish God’s mercy for those killed in Dağlıca, Battalion Commander Lt. Col. İlker Çelikcan and the other soldiers, along with the 102 security personnel who have been killed in a number of cities in the last 50 days, while I pray that God grant urgent healing to our wounded brothers. I extend my condolences to the mourning families, children and relatives,” Gülen said in a statement on Tuesday.

A group of Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) terrorists ambushed two military vehicles in Dağlıca by remotely detonating landmines, which they followed up with an armed assault. Subsequently, the Dağlıca Battalion Command deployed reinforcement troops to the area and clashes between the PKK and Turkish soldiers reportedly lasted around six hours. Sixteen soldiers were killed by the PKK and six were wounded.

In his statement, Gülen also praised the people of Turkey, who he said had always been resilient in the face of pain and suffering. Gülen said, “I have no doubt that [the Turkish] people will answer terrorism nobly by preserving their unity and solidarity and by disappointing those who want to achieve their goals through bloodshed.”

Gülen has inspired millions of people both in Turkey and around the world with his peaceful rhetoric that promotes intercultural and interfaith dialog. On many occasions, Gülen has strongly condemned terrorism and the killing of innocent people regardless of the reason.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 08, 2015


Related News

Turkish Deputy PM rules out ‘ill will’ against Gülen community, unveils prep school draft details

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç has announced September 2015 as the deadline for the “transformation” of private examination prep schools (dershanes) into private schools, while denying that the move represents hostility toward the “Hizmet” (Service) movement of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. Speaking after a 7.5-hour-long Cabinet meeting on Dec. 2, Arınç also announced January 2014 […]

Kimse Yok Mu sends next party of aid to Syrian refugees

Turkish government, nongovernmental organizations and public are doing their best to show the greatest hospitality to war-weary Syrian refugees across the country. Kimse Yok Mu’s Bursa branch also made its best to contribute these relief works and the organization sent the next party of aid worth at TL 300,000 (USD 150,000) on Thursday.

Fethullah Gülen issued the following statement on Turkey’s extradition request

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan today once again demonstrated he will go to any length necessary to solidify his power and persecute his critics. It is ridiculous, irresponsible and false to suggest I had anything to do with the horrific failed coup. I urge the US government to reject any effort to abuse the extradition process to carry out political vendettas.

Tables Have Turned for Some Media in Turkish Crackdown

Mr. Kenes says he should have been more outspoken in defense of fellow journalists when the government started targeting its critics more than a decade ago. “Frankly, we did not realize Mr. Erdogan’s real intentions,” said Mr. Kenes, who was convicted last year of insulting the president on Twitter and given a 21-month suspended prison sentence. “When I look at my history, I criticize myself for not showing more sympathy for their cases.”

Did PKK change its view of religious movements?

It is wrong and harmful to present Gulen Movement or create a picture that will make the Movement look as if it gets along and tries to collaborate with, or in need of help from PKK. I believe that Gulen movement will not fall into such a trap.

Whistleblower says gov’t preparing to close down Gülen-inspired schools

A government whistleblower has claimed the government is preparing to shut down schools believed to be close to the Gülen movement, a faith-based grassroots social initiative inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, in Turkey on the pretext that the schools are not being properly administered.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Türksat removes Zaman, 3 others from ad list

“There will be no Turkish Olympiad,” says Erdoğan

On Gülen vs Erdogan – “And not equal are the good deed and the bad”

Fethullah Gulen’s Message regarding Rumors Circulated in Turkish Media about a Second Coup Attempt

Turkish police to detain another woman immediately after delivery

Alleged Gülen sympathizers in prison banned from communication with outside world

Are there autonomous Hizmet groups?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News