Nine-year-old beats 25,000 others in Maths competition


Date posted: April 27, 2015

GBADE OGUNWALE / ABUJA

A NINE-year-old pupil of the Nigerian Turkish School, Abuja, Adeoluwa Adetoba, has emerged winner of the 2015 edition of the National Mathematics Competition.

Adetoba beat 25,000 competitors nationwide to win the competition, organised by the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges, in collaboration with the National Mathematical Centre.

The competition was organised for primary five and six pupils, to address the basic problems they face in mathematics.

At the award ceremony in Abuja on Friday, an elated Adetoba said he was delighted to win, stressing that it would spur him to work harder.

Adetoba got a full scholarship and a cash prize of N150, 000 donated by the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges.

Managing Director of the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges, Mr. Mehmet Bashturk, said the competition cost N17 million, adding that the college would sustain the competition annually.

Bashturk said: “There is nothing like education. Education matters to our society and economy. It matters hugely to us. It matters to me as a father of two. The NTIC has continued to sow the seed of love of mathematics into the pupils”.

He said 25,400 pupils participated in the first round throughout the country.

“The competition has two rounds; state and zone level. The state level examinations were conducted simultaneously in the 36 states, including Abuja on January 24, 2015. The best five from each state qualified for the zonal level”, Bashturk said.

The Registrar of the National Mathematical Centre, Mr. Aliyu Muhammed Biu, praised the NTIC for its contribution to the promotion of mathematics.

He said: “The partnership between us is not a coincidence; it is a result of our similar mandate. The story of NTIC is a success. We have seen the progress made so far by this college”.

Source: The Nation , April 26, 2015


Related News

Nigeria won’t allow mistreatment of her students by Turkey – Presidency

According to Dabiri-Erewa: “The Federal Government is taking the detention of Nigerian students by Turkish authorities seriously. It seems that Turkey is trying to get at Nigeria for our failure to close down the 17 schools they requested. The government did not close down these schools because their owners and managers, who are private people have not breached Nigerian laws.”

Belgium ‘proud’ to be host as ‘Colors of the World’ rocks European capital

Children from around the world who participated in the 13th International Festival of Language and Culture (IFLC) put on a spectacular show in Brussels on Saturday night, drawing a large number of guests.

Pak-Turk schools issue: Foundation moves court for fear of closure

The Islamabad High Court (IHC) directed the deputy attorney general to seek instructions from the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs after Pak-Turk Education Foundation moved the IHC against the possible closure of the network by the government, on Wednesday.

Turkish, Arab intellectuals meet around Hira in Cairo

CUMALİ ÖNAL , CARIO Turkey’s first and only Arabic magazine, Hira, whose name refers to the cave where the Prophet Muhammad first received revelations from God, has brought together prominent figures from Egypt and the Arab world. Many academics, journalists, opinion leaders, writers, high-level officials, religious leaders and scientists attended a meeting organized by Hira […]

Diagonal Dialogue from Turkey to Senegal

Teranga is another name for Senegal. It means hospitable in the Wolof language. It is a door that opens from the West to Africa and from Africa to the West. Here, the vast sand sea of Great Sahara comes to an end; desert gives way to the giant waves of the Atlantic Ocean and scorching […]

Schools Founded by Volunteers to Light the Way for the German Educational System

German journalist and author, Dr. Jochen Thies, stated that it saddens him to see that the public is not aware of the self-sacrifice, perseverance and quality that he has observed in the schools in Germany that have been founded by Hizmet volunteers. Noting that in five years these schools will be serving as guiding beacons […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Scholar Fethullah Gulen Speaks about PKK [terrorist organization]

Gülen lawyer denies claims of shooting movie about Erdoğan family

Gulen-Linked Turkish Schools In Kazakhstan Being Renamed

Australian Relief Organisation awarded “Letter of Appreciation” by the Cambodian Ministry of Rural Development

AK Party Deputy Hakan Şükür resigns due to hostile moves against Hizmet movement

Former director of Turkish schools in Pakistan and his family kidnapped

Russian expert: Kimse Yok Mu is in no way a terrorist organization

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News