Gülen issues message of condolences for slain prosecutor Kiraz

Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: April 2, 2015

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has offered his deep condolences to family of Prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz, who was killed after a deadly hostage crisis on Tuesday.

During these days when we have to shoulder subsequent painful incidents, I wish God’s mercy on our Public Prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz, who was among the members of the judiciary who devoted their lives to justice and who was martyred while in office in a heinous terrorist attack, and I extend my condolences to his wife, children, colleagues and the judicial community,” Gülen said in a statement issued on Wednesday.

He also expressed wish that “dark hands are not given an opportunity to deal a blow to peace in the country and that the real perpetrators of the incident are captured.”

Prosecutor Kiraz was taken hostage by two members of the the outlawed Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party/Front (DHKP/C) in his office on Tuesday. All three were killed in a rescue attempt by Turkish security forces.

Kiraz had been leading an investigation into the death last March of Berkin Elvan, 15, who died nine months after falling into a coma after being hit by a police teargas canister during anti-government protests in 2013.

The DHKP-C said on its website that the hostage-taking was in revenge for Elvan, whose death a year ago prompted renewed protests in parts of İstanbul.

Source: Today's Zaman , April 01, 2015


Related News

Journalist Gültaşlı: European institutions are ‘cherry-picking’ imprisoned journalists in Turkey

“It is getting increasingly clear that European institutions are ‘cherry-picking’ the imprisoned journalists in Turkey for whom they want to protest,” wrote journalist Selçuk Gültaşlı, who was Brussels bureau chief for the Turkish Zaman newspaper, on the Brussels-based online news website euobserver.com on Tuesday.

Islamic scholar Gülen says Turkey’s graft scandal can’t be covered up

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said a recent graft scandal that has rocked Turkey for nearly five weeks cannot be covered up despite massive efforts by the authorities to weather it down and crush those who speak out on the matter.

Gülen’s Statement of Condemnation for Terrorist Attack Against the Coptic Christian Community in Egypt

I have learned with grief about the horrific terrorist attack against two Coptic churches in Egypt during a Palm Sunday mass, killing at least 43 worshipers and police officers. I vehemently condemn this atrocity against the Coptic Christian community.

Turkish Gov’t Seizes 965 Gülen Movement Affiliated Firms With $11.3 Billion Worth

Turkish Deputy PM Nurettin Canikli said on Friday that the Turkish government has seized 965 companies which were affiliated to the Gülen movement. The value of assets belonging to companies seized by the Turkish state during the ongoing state of emergency is also announced as nearly 41 billion Turkish Liras, around $11.3 billion.

Abrupt gov’t decision to revoke status of Kimse Yok Mu draws criticism

Turkey’s leading charity, Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There), had its right to collect charitable donations abruptly rescinded on Tuesday, in what seems to be an arbitrary decision made during a Cabinet meeting, prompting harsh reactions from volunteers, lawmakers of the opposition parties and representatives of other civil society groups.

Gülen and a new paradigm in the Kurdish issue

The Muslims, over the past nine years, have been the main dynamic of the change in Turkey. They have questioned their ties with nationalism, militarism and the status quo. These points that Gülen underlined are extremely important. He clearly and precisely identifies the reason of the problems and offers advice.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish authorities issue warning to Samanyolu TV for ‘biased’ broadcasts

As it happens:Turkey’s graft investigation and PM Erdoğan’s response

M. Fethullah Gülen: educator, mystic, peacebuilder

Turkish Cultural Center In Greenburgh Collects Coats, Blankets For Refugees

In Georgia the Shahin Friendship School facing closure – Political influence?

After 50 days, Turkish university director out of Malaysian jail with UN refugee card

Fethullah Gulen among TIME’s “World’s 100 Most Influential People” for 2013

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News