Compensation case filed against Erdoğan for targeting Gülen-inspired schools

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. (Photo: DHA)
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. (Photo: DHA)


Date posted: March 20, 2015

ŞAKİR TANRIVER / ISTANBUL

Fetih Educational Operations (Fetih Eğitim İşletmeleri), which run schools affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement, has filed a compensation case against President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for targeting these schools since the eruption of a major corruption scandal in December 2013.

Fetih launched the compensation case with the İstanbul Commercial Court of First Instance and is seeking compensation of TL 100,000 for non-pecuniary damages and TL 20,000 for pecuniary damages over what they say is unjust competition due to Erdoğan’s remarks targeting Gülen-inspired schools. Fetih also wants the court decision to be published in Turkey’s three most-circulated dailies.

The Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has been a target of Erdoğan ever since a corruption probe came to public attention on Dec. 17, 2013, implicating senior members of the government. Erdoğan, who refers to the movement as the “parallel state” or “parallel structure,” accuses the movement of being behind the corruption operation and of being a criminal network seeking to overthrow the ruling party government. The movement strongly denies the claim.

Erdoğan and the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government have taken action to ensure the closure of schools operated by Gülen followers in many countries around the world. Gülen-inspired institutions and schools in Turkey are also under intense pressure from the government.

There have been many instances in which Erdoğan has directly and publicly targeted Gülen-inspired schools and urged parents not to send their children to these schools. Following Erdoğan’s statements, some parents have removed their children from these schools. Twenty-nine students have left Private Fatih Gaziosmanpaşa Elementary School recently and 31 students have left the Fatih Gaziosmanpaşa High School. There has also been a decline in the number of students enrolling at Gülen-inspired schools, according to Fetih’s lawyers.

Erdoğan’s statements violate Article 54 of the Turkish Commercial Code (TTK), creating conditions of unfair competition, the lawyers claim, alleging that it is legally unacceptable for Erdoğan to present these schools as being part of a criminal network. Before he was elected president last August, Erdoğan — who was prime minister at the time — pressed ahead with plans to close down university preparation courses in Turkey, many of which are run by followers of the Gülen movement, in addition to numerous schools and dormitories.

At a rally ahead of the March 30 local elections last year, then-Prime Minister Erdoğan told his supporters: “Don’t send your children to their schools. State schools are sufficient for us. … There is every [misdeed] in [those schools]. They have abused our citizens so much.” At another election rally, Erdoğan continued to attack Gülen-inspired schools and publications: “Take your children out of their university preparation courses, schools and dormitories. Never allow their publications to enter your houses. … We need to give them a lesson,” he said.

Source: Today's Zaman , March 19, 2015


Related News

Turkey’s media watchdog asks Albanian counterpart to restrict Gülen documentary

The Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) head İlhan Yerlikaya has sent a letter to his Albanian counterpart to restrict a documentary titled “Love is a Verb,” saying that the film was broadcasted to make propaganda on behalf of the Gülen movement.

MP close to Gülen quits ruling AKP, slams accusations against Islamic scholar

İşbilen became the seventh member to resign from the AKP since the massive graft scandal went public on Dec. 17 and the ninth since the test prep school row that created the rift between Gülen’s Hizmet (Service) movement and the government. The lawmaker, who is known for his closeness to the movement, said he has known Gülen for more than 50 years and has never heard such harsh words being directed against him.

Who is Fethullah Gulen? (by National Catholic Reporter)

By blaming Fethullah Gulen and the Gulen movement for the coup attempt, Mr. Erdogan’s authoritarian tendencies have only increased as witnessed by the tens of thousands arrested and detained, and the radical curtailing of free speech. It now appears that in Mr. Erdogan’s hands Turkey’s future and that of the Middle East will be less democratic, less stable and more tumultuous than ever.

I object to AK Party’s ‘New Turkey’

At this point, we need to state that the third term in office which the prime minister Erdogan refers to as the period of mastery appears to be a goal of converting society through a single cultural identity rather than a period of restoration that will strengthen social peace.

The last refuge of losers: deporting a journalist

İHSAN YILMAZ I am sure most of our readers know my Today’s Zaman colleague Mahir Zeynalov better than they know me. He is a very accomplished Twitter user. His Turkish twitter account has 57,000 followers and the English one has 87,000 followers. Last year, he was chosen as one of the 10 most effective twitter […]

Feud between Turkey’s Erdogan and influential cleric goes public

A feud between Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan and an influential Islamic cleric has spilled into the open months ahead of elections, highlighting fractures in the religiously conservative support base underpinning his decade in power. The reclusive cleric drew parallels with the behavior of the secularist military in the build up to past coups.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Only the people of the land can create a spring, GYV President Yeşil says

Parallel hearts…

Who is Fethullah Gülen?

Turkish aid organizations deliver clean water to 20 million

Fethullah Gülen’s statement regarding the family that drowned in the Meric (Evros) River

Writers, journalists gather to discuss media’s role in social cohesion

A warning from and for a troubled land – how easily a democracy can be dismantled

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News