Turkish court rejects appeal to arrest Dumanlı

Zaman editor-in-chief Ekrem Dumanlı holds a banner that says
Zaman editor-in-chief Ekrem Dumanlı holds a banner that says "Free media cannot be silenced" outside his newspaper's headquarters in İstanbul's Yenibosna. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Selahattin Sevi)


Date posted: January 1, 2015

A court has rejected an appeal made by a prosecutor requesting the arrest of Zaman daily Editor-in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı, stating that there was no new evidence that was sufficient to put Dumanlı behind bars.

But the decision of the İstanbul 1st Penal Court of Peace is not final. The decision was submitted to a higher court, the 2nd İstanbul Penal Court of Peace, which will make the ultimate decision on whether Dumanlı should be arrested.

On Thursday prosecutor Hasan Yılmaz, who is in charge of an investigation targeting journalists, television scriptwriters, former police chiefs, and producers and directors of a TV series were taken into custody on charges of being members of a “terrorist organization” formally objected to last week’s court decision to release Dumanlı and seven others pending trial on terrorism charges.

Dumanlı was one of the dozens of people detained on Sunday, Dec. 14, in an operation that was widely condemned at home and abroad as a crackdown on critical media. In addition to Dumanlı, the general manager of Samanyolu television and a columnist for the Bugün newspaper were also detained as part of an investigation of an alleged conspiracy in a 2010 police operation against a radical Islamist group.

Dumanlı and most of those detained were released pending trial, while Samanyolu General Manager Hidayet Karaca and three former police chiefs were sent to jail to await trial.

The prosecutor’s request for the reversal of the decision to free Dumanlı came only several hours after a mysterious Twitter account user with the pseudonym of Fuat Avni wrote that taking Dumanlı back into custody had been ordered directly by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The whistleblower, who professes to be from the inner circle of Erdoğan’s administration, wrote on Wednesday night that Erdoğan had ordered his team to arrest Dumanlı “no matter what.”

Source: Today's Zaman , December 30, 2014


Related News

Current defamation campaign against Hizmet was part of Ergenekon scheme

A major campaign launched by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and media organs to defame and discredit the Hizmet movement was among the plans of the Ergenekon network, which once attempted a coup d’état against the AK Party.

Disabled woman loses health care due to son-in-law’s Gülen links

Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu, a member of parliament from Turkey’s left wing pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), said the health care benefits of a gravely disabled woman were cut off because her son-in-law was a public servant dismissed from his job by government decree.

91-year-old philanthropist targeted in witch-hunt operation in Erzurum passes away

A 91-year-old man, Alaattin Öksüz, who came to public attention in February when police officers attempted to detain him as part of an operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, has died.

Sacrificing a legend for a shoebox*

Just to prevent the graft probe…They [AK Party] declined the honor of ending the military tutelage system and also declared the procedures used to achieve this triumph to be “unlawful.” Since they sacrificed the most important victory of their eleven-year rule, we can easily say the following: My friends, this must be one hell of a shoebox!

Kosovo’s Parliament To Probe Deportation Of Six Turks

Kosovo’s parliament on April 4 voted to establish a panel to investigate how and why six Turkish citizens who are opponents of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan were arrested and deported to Turkey.

Opposition leader Destici: Since when has exposing graft been a crime?

Allegations previously dismissed by judicial authorities are being raised again. People in the bureaucracy are being profiled. Officers have been removed from their posts in some ministries. Furthermore, mayoral elections are scheduled for March, and campaigning is becoming tenser.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Pacifica Institute Utah hosts ‘Love is a Verb’ screening for interfaith season

TUSKON says 2 businessmen threatened members with ‘blacklisting’

Feza Schools to open branch in Dodoma, Tanzania

Turkey’s recent view from the US

Kimse Yok Mu provides medical supplies for Haiti

Turkey’s Corruption Probe, And One Question For Erdogan

Erdoğan’s allegations proven to be incorrect, contradictory over time

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News