Kimse Yok Mu head: Council of State confirms charity’s transparency

İsmail Cingöz, the president of the charity Kimse Yok Mu (Photo: Today's Zaman)
İsmail Cingöz, the president of the charity Kimse Yok Mu (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: November 29, 2014

According to İsmail Cingöz, president of the charity Kimse Yok Mu, the Council of State’s unanimous annulment of a recent Cabinet decision to rescind the charity’s right to collect donations confirms its institutional transparency, accountability and reliability.

Speaking with Today’s Zaman, Cingöz welcomed the court decision, saying it is good to see that the judicial system is still functioning in Turkey. Drawing attention to the unanimity of the decision, Cingöz said the court verdict shows there is nothing wrong with the functioning of Kimse Yok Mu.

The organization’s bank accounts — which were frozen following an order from the İstanbul Governor’s Office — are expected to be unblocked. Cingöz also said he had spoken to the three largest cellphone network operators in Turkey and says they will once again make available the option to donate to Kimse Yok Mu campaigns via SMS.

The embassies of the countries where Kimse Yok Mu organizes charitable works, the United States, European Union delegations and other diplomatic missions all wanted to be informed about the legal developments during the smear campaign against the charity, Cingöz said. He added that although it has been inspected by three different groups of inspectors since last year who spent monthssearching through their documents, the charity has not been fined for engagement in illegal activities or the misuse of funds.

Kimse Yok Mu will apply to all domestic and international courts to defend its rights and will file complaints against Interior Minister Efkan Ala, officials from the Interior Ministry, the İstanbul Governor’s Office and media figures who violated the law during the smear campaign against the charity, Cingöz added.

The 10th Chamber of the Council of State announced on Tuesday its decision regarding an appeal by the charity against the decision by the Cabinet in October that removed Kimse Yok Mu’s right to collect donations, saying the decision is against the law.

According to the Council of State, Kimse Yok Mu does not have any deficiency which should result in the removal of its public interest status. Indicating that the Cabinet argued the charity was involved in irregularities through the collection of donations when justifying its decision, the court said it found no irregularity that should cause the charity to lose its status as an organization that exhibits “accountability, transparency, institutionalization and reliability.”

Kimse Yok Mu is active in 113 countries around the world. The charity distributes food, constructs hospitals, schools and orphanages, and digs wells, among other activities, to extend a helping hand to those in need. The Council of State’s decision effectively allows the charity to continue the flow of aid to many areas both in Turkey and abroad, including to Gaza.

Kimse Yok Mu is Turkey’s only aid organization that holds UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) “special consultative status.” It developed internationally recognized relief programs in partnership with the UN Human Rights Council (UNHCR) in 2013 and was also granted the Turkish Parliament’s Outstanding Service Award in 2013, with the approval of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) administration.

However, the organization had many of its rights as a charity revoked by the ruling AK Party since a major corruption scandal was brought to public attention in December 2013, due to the charity’s affiliation with the Hizmet movement. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan holds the Hizmet movement — a grassroots social initiative known for its educational and cultural programs — responsible for the corruption investigations, which implicated some of his inner circle and family members.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 26, 2014


Related News

State Islam versus civic Islam

Using the Hizmet movement, AK party wants to create a common enemy that would be recognized as such by different social groups. It demonizes the movement and makes it a target of the social opposition. But all these tricks and methods do not eliminate one basic truth. There is an unusual experience in Turkey. There is an ongoing war between “state Islam” and “civic Islam.”

GYV gathers politicians, diplomats at iftar dinner in Turkish capital

“Ramadan is a time of compassion and mercy. In these blessed days, when patience and tolerance prevail, we once more remember love, peace, modesty, cooperation and living for others,” Gülen’s message said.

Fetullah Gülen, the preferred enemy – Interview

Hizmet is an Islamic movement with activities in more than 180 countries. To its followers, the gulenists, Gulen — a man with swallow feet and low voice who says he spends most of his time praying and studying — is a democrat in favor of the Turkish democratization.

Take protests seriously, work to solve problems, Fethullah Gülen urges

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has urged that the protests that have gripped Turkey for nearly 10 days not be underestimated or ignored, adding that “we share the blame” for the unrest. Gülen also urged restraint and patience from his followers and said “our duty is to work to rehabilitate hearts.” Gülen frequently used “we” in a […]

Prof. Tures: Erdogan’s policies threaten Turkey

Followers of this liberal U.S.-based cleric, Gulen, were scapegoated for the July 2016 coup. Tens of thousands of police officers and security officials were fired and even arrested, simply for being followers of Gulen, an opponent of ISIS. The Turkish President seems willing to blame everyone but ISIS, or even offer much of an anti-ISIS campaign.

Government [in Turkey] replaces military in defamation tactics

LALE KEMAL A Turkish daily’s publication last week of a secret document dated to August, 2004 has sent shock waves through Turkish politics, which is becoming increasingly polarized ahead of the three elections Turkey will undergo before 2015. The secret document in question, published by the liberal Taraf daily, was about the once-infamous National Security […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Serbian torture base now houses Turkish school

German view of Hizmet Movement (1)

AKP deputy: “Imprisoned Gulen supporters and PKK members will be massacred by furious mobs”

TUSKON: Media raids discourage foreign investors

60-year old man covers 309 km in 17 days to protest son’s arrest on coup charges

Enes Kanter: Anyone who speaks out against Erdogan is a target. That includes me.

Turkish Schools Win Five Medals in a Project Competition in Romania

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News