CHP applies to Constitutional Court for annulment of dershane law


Date posted: April 18, 2014

ISTANBUL

The main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) has filed an appeal with the Constitutional Court to annul a controversial law closing Turkey’s dershanes, or private preparatory schools.

Speaking to reporters during a press conference at Parliament on Friday, CHP deputy parliamentary group chairman Akif Hamzaçebi said his party has taken the dershane law, under which all dershanes across the country are to be closed down and about 40,000 school administrators reassigned, to the Constitutional Court.

Relating some of the details about the petition the party has filed, Hamzaçebi said the dershane law contravenes the constitution, adding: “What should be done is not to close down dershanes, but to adopt necessary educational reforms that will eliminate the need for such preparation courses in the Turkish education system. With this law, some educational personnel were removed from their posts as also happened after the HSYK [the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors] law was passed. Public officials can only be removed from their posts or reassigned by way of administrative procedure. Furthermore, we also included a regulation under which inspectors affiliated with the Guidance and Inspection Department of the Education Ministry’s Board of Education and Discipline are to be removed from their posts, in the petition we filed today with the Constitutional Court.”

The government, in a surprise move, decided in November of last year to close down the exam prep schools, stirring a massive debate. These schools, with their affordable fees, are regarded by mostly middle or low-income families as an equalizer of educational opportunities. Although there has been a strong public reaction against the push to close these schools, the government insists on shutting them down. The bill, including amendments to Law No. 5580 on Private Educational Institutions, was introduced by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government in October of last year and sent to the Parliament Speaker’s Office in February.

The AK Party government’s bill was put to a vote and passed by Parliament on March 7 in a session that 90 deputies from the ruling party did not attend, and signed into law by President Abdullah Gül on March 12.

According to the law, the president of the Board of Education and Discipline of the Ministry of Education and the board’s other members, the ministry’s deputy undersecretaries, general directors, the chiefs of the education branches and the provincial education directors of the 81 provinces will be removed from their posts. The law also states that school principals and vice principals who have spent four years or more in their posts will also be removed from their posts. Furthermore, the law also states that dershanes will be allowed to operate until Sept. 1, 2015. All preparatory courses will be shut down after this date.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 18, 2014


Related News

Fate of Pak-Turk Schools: Erdogan, Jamaat-e-Islami-backed Maa’rif Foundation?

At the heart of the matter is the question of Maa’rif’s credentials to take over the schools instead of its Pakistani management. Turkey is least known for its standard of education. Moreover, the Erdogan-backed organisation is neither experienced in the education field nor apolitical. The organisation is already scared with allegation of child sexually abuse in Turkey.

Parents: Pak-Turk institutions’ control should not be transferred

Pak-Turk International’s Parents and Teachers Association (PTA) on Tuesday stressed against transferring the institutions’ control to other organisations as it will affect the future of its 1500 teachers’ future along with 10,000 students enrolled in 28 schools, colleges. The spokesman urged that if the government found any one from these schools involved in illegal practices, it should take strict action against him.

Investigation into journalist over MGK, MİT revelations blow to free press

A prompt investigation launched against journalist Mehmet Baransu for reporting on a confidential National Security Council document that mentioned a planned crackdown on faith-based groups in the country has been met with harsh criticism by Turkish and foreign journalist associations. “It is the responsibility of a journalist to report on issues that directly concern the people,” stated Committee to Protect Journalists Executive Director Joel Simon, when speaking to the Cihan news agency.

Erdoğan receives harsh criticism from civil society over bid to close Turkish schools

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s bid for the closure of Turkish schools affiliated with the Gülen movement in African countries has drawn harsh criticism from various segments of the society, including journalists, artists and politicians.

Gülen’s lawyer: New arrest warrant for Gülen is unlawful

The lawyer for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Nurullah Albayrak, in reaction to Turkish media reports on Tuesday of another arrest warrant being issued for his client, said in a statement that according to the law on criminal procedure, it is unlawful for a court to issue an arrest warrant unless the accused has been appropriately called to appear before the court.

Egyptian professor impressed with Fethullah Gulen

Fethullah Gulen, a thinker, a scholar engaged in philosophy in a place like Turkey. And he is compared to philosophers like Plato, Confucius, Kant and Sartre.’ I knew them very well as philosophy is my expertise. So, I wanted to get to know Gulen. I researched his views and thesis and what I found out fascinated me said Sharkawy the prominent Egyptian professor of philosophy at Cairo University,

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

MHP asks gov’t how many state officials reassigned after graft scandal

Turkish family drowned in Aegean Sea while escaping from Erdogan regime

Toward a culture of coexistence

Tevere Institute organized an Iftar Dinner for Diplomats in Vatican

Tensions rise in Germany’s Turkish diaspora, mirroring splits in Turkey

Ergenekon suspect convicted for insulting Gulen

Monitoring group documents 53 suspicious deaths since coup attempt

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News