Samanyolu news faces cyber attack from abroad


Date posted: April 5, 2014

ANKARA

On Thursday night Samanyolu Haber TV news channel was the latest to face a cyber attack, as readers have at times also recently been unable to access the websites of the dailies Zaman, Today’s Zaman and Taraf, as well as the Cihan news agency, particularly since the night of the local elections on March 30.

 

According to media reports, the cyber attack against Samanyolu TV was launched from abroad and lasted nearly half an hour.

The Today’s Zaman website has been targeted by hundreds of thousands of computers in a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack, in which hackers bombard the website with requests, causing it to slow down or crash.

On March 30, the Taraf daily’s website was attacked by unidentified cyber groups. Taraf challenged the attack with a statement on its main webpage, noting that its website had been under an organized attack for the past week: “To those creeps who are afraid of journalism, freedoms and Taraf,” the statement said, “Those who are afraid of democratic elections, journalism and free media have staged a new attack and have hacked our website. They think that they are successful, but they are the losers. It has been revealed how afraid they are afraid of Taraf and free journalism. They have shown us how powerful we are. It is no use even if you send [highly trained] soldiers or assassins. You cannot silence Taraf. We will continue with our website edition in the shortest time possible.”

RTÜK imposes harsh penalty on Samanyolu TV for corruption broadcasts

The Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) imposed a penalty of TL 123,500 on the Samanyolu Haber TV news channel on Wednesday, citing the channel on the grounds that it violated broadcasting principles.

During its meeting held in Ankara, RTÜK discussed 12 filings against Samanyolu Haber TV and decided that 11 of them include breaches regarding the rule of law, respect for human dignity, privacy and the presumption of innocence with regard to broadcasts related to the government corruption allegations that become public on Dec. 17, 2013, businesspeople who were allegedly involved in corruption and leaked recordings apparently revealing Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, some ministers and businesspeople involved in corruption.

RTÜK member Esat Çıplak said that while pro-government TV channels’ violations are ignored or only perfunctory punishments are imposed, other channels are facing a “battue,” or a hunt.

“Imposing a ban on a broadcasting group with this unlawful attitude deals a blow to the reputability of RTÜK. Targeting and intending to destroy broadcasting with a special team just because they criticize the current government’s activities leads to questioning democracy [in Turkey],” said Çıplak.

 

In late March, RTÜK prohibited the broadcast of 15 Samanyolu Haber TV programs, in addition to the suspension of 20 programs on March 16. “RTÜK has given us the harshest penalty in its history,” the news director said at the time.

The latest RTÜK penalty follows Erdoğan’s vow to finish off the Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and its associates, which include Samanyolu Haber TV.

Erdoğan has portrayed the sweeping corruption scandal that broke on Dec. 17 and implicated his close associates and even members of his own family as a plot by the Hizmet movement to weaken his government.

Gülen and his followers are at the center of Erdoğan’s accusations, although the prime minister has so far failed to present any evidence that the Hizmet movement was behind the corruption probe.

In a related development, RTÜK members Ali Öztunç and Süleyman Demirkan stated at a press conference that RTÜK’s biased attitude towards TV stations prevents the Supreme Election Board (YSK) from reaching fair decisions on stations that may have violated the pre-election rules.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 4, 2014


Related News

Who is Fethullah Gulen? (by National Catholic Reporter)

By blaming Fethullah Gulen and the Gulen movement for the coup attempt, Mr. Erdogan’s authoritarian tendencies have only increased as witnessed by the tens of thousands arrested and detained, and the radical curtailing of free speech. It now appears that in Mr. Erdogan’s hands Turkey’s future and that of the Middle East will be less democratic, less stable and more tumultuous than ever.

Kimse Yok Mu chair Cingöz: Everyone feels some type of oppression in Turkey

Kimse Yok Mu was designated a nongovernmental organization in March 2002. It had started its work following a devastating earthquake in Turkey in August 1999. Kimse Yok Mu now reaches out to different regions of the world affected by catastrophes. It is officially recognized by Turkey as an association that works for “public interest.”

Gülen Schools and Rule-of-Law in Turkey

Whatever one’s attitude toward or assessment of Fethullah Gülen might be, the case of the preparatory schools is a barometer for the state of rule-of-law in Turkey. Gülen’s ideology is irrelevant; law should treat everyone equally.

Victims of the state, come together

The reactions given by the spouses, families, relatives and supporters of those taken into custody during the police operations against certain police officers on July 22 are really significant from a political perspective.

Turkish businessmen have first iftar with Syrian refugees in Hatay

A group of Turkish businessman traveled to Kilis province on Wednesday to join an iftar dinner with Syrian refugees, according to media reports. After iftar, one of the Syrian refugees gave a speech in Turkish, saying: “We are refugees here and you have left your homes and your children and you have come here to have iftar with us. We are very happy and grateful for what you have done for us.”

Kenya Embassy Donates Food & Warm Clothes to Syrian Refugees

Kenya Embassy donations were channelled through Kimse Yok Mu (or ‘Is Any One there’), a Turkish Non-Governmental Organisation on 29th January, 2013. It is noted that Kimse Yok Mu is one of the international NGOs that actively responded to the Horn of Africa humanitarian crisis in 2011 that saved the lives of thousands of Somali refugees from imminent death due to prolonged drought.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu’s Eid al-Adha aid efforts worldwide

Turkish American Society Builds Bridges

Erdoğan’s propagandist think tanks

“It’s a religious duty to establish love and tolerance in society”

Corruption scandal will consolidate Turkish democracy

Turkish gov’t jailed not only journalist Karaca, but also his lawyers and the judges who ruled to release him

GYV President Mustafa Yeşil answers questions about the Gulen movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News