Turkey fails to channel money into industry: TUSKON


Date posted: March 26, 2014

 

KIRŞEHİR

Turkey has failed to convert hot money flow into industry to generate high value-added goods, the head of a Turkish organization representing businesspeople and industrialists has said.

“A large amount of hot money came to Turkey, along with other developing countries, but Turkey could not use this money to invest into industry,” said Rızanur Meral, chairman of the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON).

“We have mostly used the money in finance, construction, land opportunities and stock exchange,” he said while delivering a speech at a conference in the Central Anatolian province of Kırşehir on March 22.

“We made ourselves swim in the prosperity of money, but we weren’t able to make the transformation to the high technology products our industry needs,” stated the top representative of the business organization, known to have close ties with Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Only around 3.4 to 4 percent of Turkey’s production is high technology goods, whereas almost 32 percent of exports from Germany are high technology products and 21 percent from the U.S. and South Korea, Meral stressed.

“We are under pressure from countries producing low technology goods with low energy and labor costs as long because we cannot maintain this transformation,” he stated, asserting this hinders Turkey from raising its exports to its desired level.

Source: Hurriyet Daily , March 26, 2014


Related News

TUSKON to gather 2,000 businessmen from all over world in İstanbul

The Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) has organized another Turkey-World Trade Bridge summit, to be held in İstanbul starting Wednesday as nearly 2,000 businessmen from all around the world fly in to attend. Turkish businessmen from a number of sectors, including textiles and machinery, among others, will engage in private meetings with their […]

Pro-Erdoğan troll calls on gov’t to execute Gülen followers

Amid assassination concerns following the suspicious deaths of two people who allegedly fell from the balcony of their homes, a pro-Erdoğan Twitter troll named Ahmet Üstün (@ustunn_ahmet) on Friday called on the government to assassinate Gülen movement sympathizers in the country and abroad.

Unmasking Turkey’s most wanted man

Gülen had been charged after the military coups in 1971 and 1980, and again in the late 1990s. Gülen was acquitted of the charges three times.

Terrorist organization, you say

He is 73 years old and is known as a respected scholar who has been studying Islamic exegesis. He is well-known in academia. He was promoted to associate professor in the field of Islamic exegesis back in 1977. He served as head of the exegesis department at the faculty of theology at Erzurum’s Atatürk University, conducted research in Paris Sorbonne, taught at the faculty of Islamic studies at the Islamic University of Madinah, was the chair of exegesis studies at Marmara University and conducted academic studies at International Islamic University of Malaysia. He is the author of 13 books and hundreds of articles.

Prof. Tures: Erdogan’s policies threaten Turkey

Followers of this liberal U.S.-based cleric, Gulen, were scapegoated for the July 2016 coup. Tens of thousands of police officers and security officials were fired and even arrested, simply for being followers of Gulen, an opponent of ISIS. The Turkish President seems willing to blame everyone but ISIS, or even offer much of an anti-ISIS campaign.

Turkish Businesses Snagged In Government’s Post-Coup Crackdown

Most of the companies taken over by the government also deny any role or connection to Gulen. But they’ve had their assets seized and employees fired. The economist Yesilada predicts the government will have to sell off these businesses. That’s likely to trigger lawsuits that could last years.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s tryst with democracy (2)

National Security Council intended to arrest Fethullah Gülen in 1997

Enes Kanter calls Turkey’s Erdoğan ‘Hitler of our century’ after airport detainment

Fethullah Gulen Condemns Turkish Crackdown on His Supporters

UN Body Asks Immediate Release Of Arbitrarily Jailed Police Chief

Erdoğan’s house of cards

Coup Commission members: Now is similar to Feb. 28 coup period

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News