TUSKON: Twitter ban a disappointment in information age


Date posted: March 24, 2014

Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) Chairman Rıza Nur Meral voiced his disappointment on Friday over the decision by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), which tries to attract voters with promises of democracy, more human rights, increased rule of law and reforms to gain EU membership, to block access to Twitter.

Speaking during a meeting organized by the Federation of Anatolian Businessmen (ANFED) in Ankara, Meral said: “We are in an era of information technology. Those who own and share information have an advantage. Freedom of expression is also a precondition for countries for getting ahead. The ban on Twitter prevents developments to this end.”

Stressing that with the recent decision of the government Turkey has moved further toward becoming an authoritarian regime, Meral said that as businesspeople, TUSKON condemns the Twitter ban and urges that it should be removed as soon as possible. “It is impossible for Turkey to reach its economic targets by behaving in this manner,” Meral added.

Twitter was blocked late on Thursday, just hours after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan vowed to “wipe out” the social media platform. Leading international condemnation, the White House described the Twitter ban as undermining democracy and free speech.

All those attempting to access Twitter in Turkey have instead been redirected to an Internet page detailing a court ruling that a “protection measure” has been taken, blocking the site. However, many have been able to get around the ban, either by using virtual private network (VPN) software or changing their domain name system (DNS) setting, effectively disguising their computers’ geographical whereabouts.

Speaking about Erdoğan’s remarks about the International Turkish Language Olympiad, when he said that the government will not provide venues for the Olympiad which is held in Turkey, Meral said: “On the one hand we have Fethullah Gülen saying that everybody has the right to speak and be educated in his or her mother tongue, while on the other hand there is opposition to the Turkish Olympiads which contribute to the status of Turkish as a world language and are held without receiving a penny from the state. I will leave it to people to judge for themselves the difference between these two perspectives.”

Gülen, an Islamic scholar who is the inspiration behind the Hizmet movement — a worldwide network of activists in education, charity and social outreach, has described the large-scale slander, pressure and oppression the movement faces as worse than anything seen during military coup periods in Turkey.

Tensions in politics frustrate foreign investors

Meral also pointed to rising tensions in Turkish politics and stressed that a tense political atmosphere frustrates foreign investors. “Laws have been changed overnight in Turkey. We have changed from a respectable country to one where laws are changed day by day. This makes investors pause for thought,” Meral said.

Discussing the corruption and bribery scandal, Meral said that no leader or political party can survive under such a heavy burden of corruption allegations. “Whatever you do, even if you ban Twitter, people will simply resort to ‘Nexter.’ One cannot cover this [corruption scandal] when communication systems are so developed. It [the Twitter ban] is simply delaying a foregone conclusion.”

On Dec. 17 of last year, İstanbul and Ankara police staged dawn raids and detained over 50 people as part of a far-reaching investigation into claims of corruption and bribery. Among the detainees were bureaucrats, well-known businesspeople and the sons of three ministers.

Stressing that according to one ranking of countries by economic freedom, Turkey is ranked 73rd, the TUSKON chairman strongly criticized the recently passed bill which shuts down prep schools (dershanes) — many of which are run by the Hizmet movement — on the grounds that the decision deals a blow to the right to free enterprise in Turkey.

The AK Party government’s bill banning the privately owned prep schools was put to a vote and passed by Parliament — in a session that 90 deputies from the ruling party did not attend — and signed into law by President Abdullah Gül in mid-March. The move highlights Gül’s solidarity with Erdoğan as the prime minister battles a corruption scandal he says has been orchestrated by Gülen, who is based in the US, and the Hizmet movement.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 23, 2014


Related News

‘I see the Hizmet movement as the best expression of Islam’

The Prophet Muhammad said that, it is in the Quran, it says that, we are created in different societies, cultures and backgrounds as a challenge to come together and understand each other and to bring about peace.

You are free to touch Hizmet movement

There are other journalists, very secular journalists who have denounced Fethullah Gülen and his movement, defined him as a CIA agent or a secret Christian, all sorts of things, but they have never been imprisoned.

Whistleblower says gov’t preparing to close down Gülen-inspired schools

A government whistleblower has claimed the government is preparing to shut down schools believed to be close to the Gülen movement, a faith-based grassroots social initiative inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, in Turkey on the pretext that the schools are not being properly administered.

Time For Gulen Movement To Leave Turkey?

Turkey is a hell for people inspired by teachings of cleric Fethullah Gulen, who is residing in rural Pennsylvania. Participants of the movement always say that their dream is way big to fit in the constraints of Turkey. Perhaps it is time to jump out of these constraints. At least for now.

Houston firms ‘explore’ Turkey on direct flights

A business delegation of Houston-based companies is currently visiting İstanbul in a program organized by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) to discuss expanding trade ties and business opportunities with their Turkish counterparts. The visit comes on the heels of the recently launched direct flights between Houston and İstanbul by Turkey’s national flag […]

Turkish schools and businessmen mobilized for Izmir’s EXPO candidacy

The Turkish schools around the globe have been making great effort for Izmir’s EXPO 2020 win. The schools and businessmen have taken action so that Bureau of International Expositions committee opts for Turkey in the voting to take place in Paris on November 27th. “What is lost with Olympics can be made up for in EXPO,” Fethullah Gulen had earlier said.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kyrgyz President Atambayev: Turkish schools will not be closed

Anonymous witnesses fail to identify suspects they earlier tipped off as Gulenist

What befell Niyazi-i Misri in the past is happening to Fethullah Gülen now

Erdogan’s Muslim spies: Turkish imams snooping on Merkel’s Germany for President

A February 28 tactic from the PKK

Pakistan: Parents oppose handing over school chain to Turkish NGO

Arrest of Kanter’s father underscores deepening tensions between U.S., Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News