Students from 140 countries to participate in Turkish Olympiads this year


Date posted: May 23, 2013

A total of 2,000 students from 140 countries will attend the 11th International Turkish Olympiads, which brings together hundreds of foreign students studying at Turkish schools around the world, this year.

A press conference was held by a member of the International Turkish Olympiads organizing committee, Işılay Saygın, on Monday in İzmir to give details about the 11th International Turkish Olympiads, which will be held between June 1 and 16. The 11th International Turkish Olympiads is organized by the International Turkish Education Association (TÜRKÇEDER). Saygın stated that this year 2,000 students from 140 countries are expected to attend the Turkish Olympiads and set out the timeline of events that will take place over the 16 days in 55 Turkish cities. Stating that students from five continents will compete in 19 categories, such as singing and poetry recitals, during the olympiads, Saygın added that a culture festival will be held at the İzmir Fair Center between May 24 and 26. Saygın stated that the reason why they chose İzmir as the venue of the cultural festival was due to İzmir’s bid to host the World’s Fair Expo 2020. The cultural festival was held in Ankara in 2011 and in İstanbul in 2012. Students will set up tables at the expo center to introduce their countries to visitors during this festival.

Also speaking at the press conference, the coordinator of the culture festival, Aydın Panayır, said that students from various parts of the world will get a chance to present their cultures to visitors during the festival. He also added that they are expecting 1 million visitors to the cultural festival.

There were also some of the students who will compete in the olympiads at the press conference. Eleven-year-old Eygptian Nadin Aner told the Anatolia news agency that she likes Turkey very much. Stating that Egypt and Turkey are brother countries, Aner added that she is very happy to come to Turkey and attend the Turkish Olympiads.

Each year, about 15,000 students around the world prepare for the Olympiads, but only the finalists who win at national competitions are invited to attend the huge international competition in Turkey. The competition will see gold medals given to the top 10 individuals, silver medals given to the top 10 percent of competitors and bronze medals given to the top 30 percent of competitors.

Source: Today’s Zaman, May 20, 2013

 


Related News

When the masks have fallen

It seems that the judiciary will be forced to investigate the claims of a so-called illegal organization, and sham trials will be performed to intimidate the Hizmet movement and cover up the corruption claims that become public on Dec. 17, 2013, by taking tactics from the former Ergenekon supporters nested within the army, the bureaucracy, business circles, the media and the judiciary.

Libyan minister would like to see Turkish teachers, schools in his country

Libya’s minister of higher education said on Thursday he would welcome the establishment of Turkish schools in his country. Naim Ghariani, Libya’s minister of higher education, said his country would like to see the opening of Turkish schools and would welcome Turkish teachers and students. Encouraged by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Turkish entrepreneurs have […]

Turkey’s extradition adventure undermined Kosovan rule of law – Expert

Turkey’s operation to abduct six Turkish citizens from Kosovo last week reinforced the image of a country “acting outside the bounds of normal behaviour” for an EU candidate and NATO member country, according Freedom House project director Nate Schenkkan.

Erdogan’s endless legitimacy crisis

Erdogan, who is avoiding dealing with the corruption charges, cannot preserve his government on the dead-end street he has entered.

A Genocide in the Making – Genocidal action stage by stage by the Turkish government against the Hizmet movement

Dr Ismail Sezgin, Director of Centre for Hizmet Studies is questioning if a genocide is in the making in Turkey, exploring the development of a genocidal action stage by stage by the Turkish government against the Hizmet movement.

PM threatens business, media and civic groups amid corruption woes

In several veiled references to the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen who has been critical of the government for trying to derail the corruption investigation, the prime minister claimed that the operation was orchestrated by “gangs” and a “parallel state.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Journalists seek asylum in Canada amid Turkish crackdown

Discrimination by AKP government [against Hizmet movement]

GYV Declaration: The AKP and Hizmet on democracy

Gülen’s lawyer rejects ‘letter of alliance’ to PKK

Pillar of Society or Threat to Democracy?

Yamanlar Sweeps Gold Medals in the U.S.

A Match Made in Hell: The Budding Bromance of Trump and Erdogan

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News