Dumanlı: Accusations directed at Hizmet Movement is a great disappointment


Date posted: January 19, 2014

ISTANBUL

Zaman Editor-in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı commented on the accusations directed at the Hizmet Movement, inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, naming some labelings to the members of the movement as very disappointing.

Speaking during a TV program on Friday evening, Dumanlı mentioned Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s likening members of the Hizmet Movement to a shady group in the past.

On Tuesday, Erdoğan again accused the Hizmet movement of orchestrating a wide-reaching corruption and bribery investigation which has implicated some members of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government. The Prime Minister likened the Hizmet movement to the Hashishin, or Hashashim, a religious sect of Shia Muslims originating from Persia, which was received great criticism by many intellectuals including politicians and historians. The group, thought to have been active between the 11th and 13th centuries, reportedly carried out politically motivated assassinations after consuming hashish.

“There is a great disappointment. It is hurtful for government to ascribe people, whom it praised and applaud until yesterday, some unpleasant accusations. We are totally disappointed I do not know if religious and sociological outcomes are taken into account while stirring controversy in the country,” said the writer.

Dumanlı also reminded that the government deems Hizmet Movement as an illegal group but until recently the government has had close relationships with the Hizmet. “Did not you want to meet with Gülen in May? And did not you send Bülent Arınç when the meeting did not take place? Slandering people so much hurts consciences of the people,” said Dumanlı referring to Erdoğan.

Dumanlı also commmented on the “parallel state” allegations against the Hizmet Movement after the far-reaching corruption scandal. “These [allegations] are all a black propaganda. It is very unpleasant to label people without any concrete evidence.

The writer stressed that election ballot is not everything saying that the AK Party put its all effect to the elections. Naming people as the tool of the external powers wıthout any concrete evidence violates rights of millions of people who can claim their right afterlife,” added Dumanlı.

Source: Cihan , January 18, 2014


Related News

Couple jailed for watching Fethullah Gülen videos at Internet cafe

An Ankara couple has been sent to prison after they were caught watching videos belonging to US-based Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen at an internet cafe earlier this week.

Bolu municipality builds road inside Hizmet affiliated Fatih College’s garden

The Bolu Municipality, Turkey, having previously closed down two schools belonging to businesspeople affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement in early July, has now constructed a road inside the garden of Fatih College, a high school, despite the fact that the school is surrounded by empty plots of land and no residential area exists around the school.

Jurist’s report highlighting illegality of Karaca’s arrest submitted to top court

Lawyers representing journalist Hidayet Karaca, who remains in prison despite a ruling for his release, have submitted a report drafted by a prominent jurist to the Constitutional Court in which the unlawfulness of Karaca’s arrest was highlighted.

New mom jailed with baby for alleged ties to Turkey coup

A woman in Turkey who just gave birth was arrested at the hospital and thrown behind bars three days later — along with her newborn baby — as part of the country’s widespread purge of “Gulenists,” a report says.

Exclusive: Turkey, Kosovo violated fundamental rights of expelled teachers, UN body says

The UN group called on Ankara to release the six individuals immediately, and the Turkish and Kosovar governments to accord the victims an enforceable right to compensation and other reparations, in accordance with international law.

EU anti-terror chief: Gülen network not terrorist organization

The EU doesn’t believe Fethullah Gülen’s network is a terrorist organization and is not “likely to change its position soon,” the bloc’s counter-terrorism coordinator told Reuters in an interview published Thursday.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Ethiopian Minister of Foreign Affairs holds talks with TUSKON delegation

Renowned Kurdish singer Sivan Perwer lauds Gülen’s support for peace process

Arrest of Kanter’s father underscores deepening tensions between U.S., Turkey

Erdoğan ‘does not grasp’ separation of powers, MEP says

Erdogan’s religious counsel issues fatwa for civil war, ordinary crimes

Whistleblower reveals wiretapping conspiracy to libel Hizmet

Festival atmosphere in Kimse Yok Mu town

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News