Turkish Education Ministry engaged in profiling of staff, daily claims

Yusuf Tekin, the undersecretary of the Ministry of Education, is seen attending a parliamentary session. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mustafa Kirazlı)
Yusuf Tekin, the undersecretary of the Ministry of Education, is seen attending a parliamentary session. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mustafa Kirazlı)


Date posted: December 16, 2013

The Taraf daily published a number of new documents on Monday that showed the Ministry of Education has profiled its staff based on their ideological and religious backgrounds.

The documents, which date back to September 2013, suggest that ministry personnel who voiced criticism of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and who are members of religious or faith-based groups were “noted” in official communiqués. The order for the profiling activities reportedly came from Yusuf Tekin, the undersecretary of the Ministry of Education, and was coordinated by Atıf Ala, head of the ministry’s Directorate General of Basic Education. Taraf said Ala is the younger brother of Prime Ministry Undersecretary Efkan Ala.

Documents containing details about profiled ministry staff were later submitted to Tekin.

The profiling documents have added fuel to an already heated discussion about profiling activities in Turkey. Starting last month, the Taraf daily published several confidential documents suggesting that the AK Party and the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) profiled individuals linked to some religious and faith-based groups. The party admitted the authenticity of the documents but argued that no action was taken to implement the policy prescriptions indicated therein.

One of the profiling documents, published by Taraf on Nov. 28, shows that the National Security Council (MGK) advised the government in 2004 to adopt legal measures that would impose harsh penalties on some religious and faith-based groups, in particular the Hizmet movement, which was inspired by Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen.

The two-page MGK document was signed by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, then-Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül, then-President Ahmet Necdet Sezer and Cabinet members as well as military commanders of the time. The document urges the Foreign Ministry, Interior Ministry and MİT to closely monitor and report on the activities of the Hizmet movement at home and abroad. It further advises the government to instruct the Interior Ministry and Ministry of Education to investigate and monitor schools affiliated with the Hizmet movement.

According to new documents published by Taraf on Monday, many Ministry of Education staff members were profiled as “members of the Hizmet movement,” “supporters of the Nationalist Movement Party [MHP]” or “social democrats.” The documents recommend that those profiled staff members should not be promoted or given high posts at the ministry.

One of the profiling notes read: “Negative. He has been promoted due to his great knowledge of ministry regulations. His promotion may be annulled. He has an easily affected nature. He has different ideas; he is not close to us [the AK Party]. He is an old supporter of the MHP.” Another note said: “He has different ideas. A social democrat. Negative. He has a negative perception of graduates of religious imam-hatip schools. He should absolutely not be promoted.” One other note said: “An F-type [referring to his membership in the Hizmet movement]. He has weak communication ability. He should not be promoted. He has ties with the [Hizmet] community. He is a disagreeable person.”

Taraf also said the profiling documents were stored on Tekin’s laptop. However, it did not elaborate how the documents were obtained by its journalist, Mehmet Baransu.

Previous reports about the profiling activities of the government and MİT were also penned by Baransu. The journalist is currently undergoing an investigation on charges of acquiring confidential documents crucial to state security, revealing information that is forbidden to announce and political and military espionage. He may face a prison term of up to 43 years for the charges. The investigation followed a joint criminal complaint by the Prime Ministry, MİT and the MGK earlier this month.

The Ministry of Education issued a press release on Monday afternoon denying the accuracy of the Taraf report. It said the report does not reflect the truth, as it has never been engaged in profiling activities against its staff. “Such activities will not happen in the future, either,” the ministry added.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 16, 2013


Related News

One year after attempted coup, purges have left hundreds of Turkish academics imprisoned

After the attempted coup, college professors have been hit especially hard, thanks to Gülen’s popularity inside Turkish higher education. Turks were encouraged to report Gülen’s followers to the government. Universities have been ordered to establish 7-8 member committees looking into anti-government activities of the faculty and administration.

Media freedom in Turkey takes another blow

On Dec. 25, Mahir Zeynalov sent out two tweets. “The first tweet contained a link to a news report about the second wave of a massive graft operation and how police blocked a raid involving more than 40 suspects, including Saudi businessman Yasin al-Qadi — listed as a specially designated terrorist by the United States,” Today’s Zaman reported Jan. 31. Zeynalov’s tweets are no longer present on his Twitter account. “’Turkish prosecutors order police to arrest al-Qaeda affiliates, Erdogan’s appointed police chiefs refuse to comply,’ read the first tweet. In the second tweet, Zeynalov shared a news report detailing al-Qaeda suspects’ escape from the country after police chiefs blocked the raid on Dec. 25.”

Erdogan vows for genocide of Gulen sympathizers: “We will not give them the right to life!”

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who has been waging a relentless war against followers of the faith-based Gülen movement in Turkey for the past several years, has said Gülen movement sympathizers in the country will not enjoy the right to life.

Coup attempt in 2016 was Erdoğan’s Reichstag fire

The failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016 in Turkey and the infamous Reichstag fire in Germany in 1933 had many similarities, with both allowing the leaders of those countries to amass more power to oppress their opposition, journalist Can Dündar said in his commentary for German Radio Cosmo on Thursday.

CHP Adana deputy lends support to mosque-cemevi project

Yet another figure from the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), Adana deputy Turgay Develi, has expressed his support for the first joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) project launched in Ankara last week. The groundbreaking ceremony of the first ever mosque-cemevi cultural center was held in Ankara on Sept. 8 with the participation of a number of government figures, Alevi and Sunni community leaders and members of the public.

Monday Talk with Alp Aslandogan on Gulen Movement and Recent Coup Attempt in Turkey

Vocal Europe: What sort of link does Alliance for Shared Values have with the movement in general and with Mr Gulen in particular? Alp Aslandogan:  Alliance for Shared Values (AFSV) has six regional partner organizations and AFSV serves as a loose umbrella for these organizations. They focus on interfaith and intercultural dialogue, helping new immigrants […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Abduction and torture part of war on Gulenists: Report

It’s clear that deportation of three Turks is to please Turkey’s president

Romanian Minister of Education gives Turkish Schools Teachers a Standing Ovation

Turkey’s fight against Gülen in the South Caucasus

First International Science Projects Olympiads of Indonesia organized by the Turkish schools

Abant tackles contentious issue of drafting new constitution

Turkish Language Olympics – Iraq Qualifications

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News